1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Gender Differences re Tipping

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Julie888, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't about whether you should tip or how much.

Nor is it about Vegas.

Nor going out for a business lunch.

Recently a woman made a comment about having lunch with a female friend. When she picked up the bill, she was annoyed that the friend wanted to leave the tip. And she made it clear that she dislikes this whenever it happens.

Amongst women, it seems that this is quiet common for the non-payer to leave the tip.

Do men do this?

Or a man and woman as friends out together. Does it make a difference?

Just curious if social customs have changed.

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    dudes just split or take turns if going out often enough sans females

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if 3 guys are out and the bill is say $90... you know each guy is gonna lay down two jacksons and not say a word unless is was
    predetermined one guy was footing the bill.

4. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. Most women I know would do the same.
    In terms of Vegas.....I will usually pick up the bill since I assume it will be comped. My gratuities are not comped. So if friends want to pay the $100 tip on a $500 dinner I've just picked up.......I appreciate it.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems to be quite common when I pick up the tab for lunch, for the other person to say, "I got the tip." By far... my experience for this has been men.

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That doesn't strike me as a gender thing.

7. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto. Just seems logical. If someone else is picking up the tab, how do you not at least offer to get the tip? And if you're picking up the tab, how do you allow not someone else to get the tip if they offer? I thought these were hard and fast (unwritten) rules of etiquette.

Number 50!
  8. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is how we do it. We just put down $1 or $2 a piece, and then pay for our part. We'll do that even if someone picks up the whole thing.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think its a gender thing, if I pick up a check the others in the party will say "thanks, but at least let me leave the tip." I usually reply, "that's alright, I got the tip, don't eat snow where the husky's go." I think your friends have good intentions by wanting to leave the tip.

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always say I got the tip when someone else is paying.

11. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yep.
    or split the cost equally.

Futbol - final game
  12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back home if out with another couple, we just usually split the bill and tip. Two guys, yea, I'll get the tip if you're buying.

However, in Vegas, I tend to treat family with my points and then they offer to leave the tip. Great, except parts of my family think 8-10% is plenty for a tip. Since we are always eating at Boyd places and most of the servers know us, I have made excuses to go back to the table and leave a proper tip as we are walking out. Brought the whole tipping thing up one time to one brother and it ended up in a heated discussion of how if I want to throw away, go ahead, but he wasn't.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  13. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wife & I out with another couple? We typically take turns picking up the entire tab, plus tip...
    Just me out with other guys? If we don't do seperate checks, it's pretty much what BlacklabberMike posted - we tend to toss out an amount that not only covers our portion of the total, but a genrous tip as well - so long as it rounds to $5... e.g. - total tab = $48....two guys? $30 each. One of us putting it on a card? The other will hand him $30.

Now - in Vegas - it's all different. Comped meal? The other always leaves the tip. An unwritten, but long-standing "rule".
    Paid-meal? Typically, this tends to get worked out through other expenses....such as "I'll get this - you get our cab to the Mirage & back"...that sort of thing.

As for the OP's question about the tip in her situation? I think it's only polite to offer.
    When that offer is refused, then one should just drop it - and make a mental note to pick up the next tab when you're out with this same person.

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  14. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep - when I've got visitors from Utah they think leaving $1 (each person) for meals is just about right. So, I always kick in the tip or go back and put extra on the table. They also don't tip Concierges, bell boys, room service or maids at all. It's embarrassing.

15. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always split when I go out with the Inlaws - but I make sure that the waitress puts the extra penny on their bill should it be an odd number.

I think it's an age thing.. when I was young, it was separate checks.. in my 30s I'd offer to tip. now in my 40s, I pick it up or split it... In my 50s I suspect I will just stop eating..

16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have this dilemma with my family also, lol! Mostly with my dear Mom. She leaves too little. So I always have to sneak in extra when she's not looking. I tried to explain to her but she scolds me all the time!

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  17. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ha ha, I have a few years left before I stop eating....you still intend to keep drinking right?, because I could get on board with that:thumbsup:

18. sandybeachbar

sandybeachbar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought this was going o be a thread regarding who are the bigger tipper . Men versus women ,lol !

I go out for meals often with one-four friends at a time. Years ago we would split the bill including the tip. Then we took turns paying and including tip and now it seems to be "I will get the check and one can pick up tip." I guess all is fair . And we are all good tippers.

That said my husband came from a very rural l community and he would tip 10% if good or excellent service on food. When we started dating I originally said I would pick up the tip but after awhile he started to catch on and leave more or just turn the pin pad and amex card for me to do it myself. We went out for dinner .Waiting on the bill , I went to the ladies room and said at least 22-25 . Waitress was very good. when I came back he had given her a 28.00 tip on a 48.00 bill . He was so proud of himself ..until I said I meant percentage! Oh well. Saving grace it wasn't a 300.00 dinner.:evillaugh

19. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sums up the way I see the situation. I did want to be sure. The lady I was referring to (I know her casually) is well-off and considers herself a social expert, which maybe she is on many subjects. IMO, her displaying any superior attitude about how it should be done is more rude than the offence she takes at her guest offering to leave the tip.

It would be different if my guest was financially strapped. I'd just suggest they could do it the next time.

20. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He who offers to cover tip after the other party covers the tab is invited to eat with me anytime. These are what I call good folks with proper etiquette

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.