1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

GC South Rim, what to expect

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by JerryVO, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryVO

JerryVO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK so this may sound silly but what should I expect at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I have had 2 visions in my mind: a carefully planned small tourist area with a guard rail and that is your view of the canyon or wide open walk right up to the edge wherever you want to open area for miles so you can get away from the masses and fall in if you get too close to the edge type place.

These are 2 vastly different thoughts and I'm sure it is somewhere in between. I just want to know what it is actually like.

2. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can definitely walk right up to the edge at most places. There is also a tram-type vehicle that will take you to all the viewing areas along the south rim (those that are within the Grand Canyon National Park, anyway).
    The main visitor center will have "the masses" that you speak of. When I went there, about 18 different groups asked me to take their picture. But as you go further away from the main visitor center, you will run in to fewer folks.

3. john meriman

john meriman merri by name merry by nature

Trips to Las Vegas:
    enjoy it.

no gaurd rails-the only barrier is ur imagination.:wink2::beer:

4. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What to expect= Awesome

Our last South rim trip, Bright Angel visitors center was still being upgraded, & (was closed, 2010) by the park service, Yavapai point is still very native & beautiful.

At the gate, you definately want the Grand Canyon newspaper,
    its a current guide & has great info on tours & the where to go & what to do's, Bus schedules road mapping, Trail info Etc.

Bring good walking shoes, bottled water & snacks.

There are literaly hundreds of miles of canyon rim & trails to see, & explore,
    it will take your breath away the 1st time you see it's beauty.

Enjoy

5. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To avoid traffic and delays

I always enter at the eastern most entrance near the observation tower.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.