1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Garage Sales Suck

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Huddler, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the most part, I am not a hater. I am very much a live and let live kind of guy. My political bent is more of a libertarian than anything else in that I think you should be able to do whatever you want as long as you dont hurt anyone else. Drugs? legalize them. Gay marriage? Knock yourself out, but remember those divorce laws are a bitch, especially for the man...uh wut:eek:! Polygamy? I dont give a rats ass how many people are in your poly-love triangle, or octogon, or parabala, as long as everyone involved are consenting adults. Abortion? Dont care. Guns? Everybody should own them. Gambling? should be legal in all states and online. Prostitution? legalize, regulate, and taxing it would make it a much safer profession. You see, I am all about letting others do as they see fit as what they do is NOT my business.

Except for Garage Sales. Everyone involved in the garage sale "culture" should be summarily executed. Kill them, Kill them all I say! Extreme? Well, I used to feel the same way as I was blissfully unaware of this American subculture until I had a garage sale a few years back, and had another yesterday that reminded me how much I detest these vermin. It was like all the garage sales I have ever participated in, a "neighborhood" garage sale with advertisements online and in the local rags. They bring out the weirdest assortment of creatures who make the EDC partiers seem like Blue Haired Baptists sitting in the Amen corner. They spend all weekend riding around looking at other peoples junk....Wait, a second, flag on the play. They dont look at other peoples junk like Beejay looks at other peoples junk, but I think you understand what I am saying.

They show up Friday night and bang on your door when the advertisements all clearly state "Saturday from 7:30 am until noon". Some will show up Saturday at 6:00 am to see if you are "open yet". These are the "People of Walmart" but with less class and less couth. Their world revolves around finding as many vomit stained onesy's and beating you down on the price of those 20 year old toys that were used once and have half the parts missing. They are after that "bargain". Dont they understand that whatever is not sold at these things will go directly to the city dump? Dont they understand that there is a reason i no longer will permit these "treasures" to be inside my home? Who are these cretins? Their entire lives are consumed with looking at other peoples throw aways and bargaining them down on the price. And they do it every stinkin weekend. I do not like them Sam I am. I do not like them in a boat. I do not like them in a moat. I do not like them here of there, I do not like them anywhere.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, don't hold back! What do really think?:evillaugh

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At our last garage sale, I think I saw a few folks from the TV show "Hoarders". But, they say the definition of insanity is to do the same thing expecting a different result. Did you expect to attract a different demographic to this sale?

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL. Never had one, don't shop at them. We either donate our stuff to the veterans or to a local shrift shop. But I've heard the stories from people I know about folks showing up early, and even wandering into their house.

5. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem is not the shoppers, the problem is you.

You have the gagare sales and you know who will show up for them so you are really asking for it.

You should do like i do. I dont have time or interest in bartering for .20.

I put all the stuff out front with a giant free sign and thats that. If they want it they can help themselves.

The purpose for me is not to make $5, its to get rid of a bunch of junk.

Also dowm here in san diego 99% of the shoppers dont speak english too well so i think the stuff is going to a good cause.

If I have anything I ca make money on I sell it on craigslist for a fair price.

6. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I knew going in to expect swarming hordes of horrific hoarders. I was just brutally reminded of how absurd and obnoxious these folks can be. I would have paid them to take most of this crap to the dump for me, and here they were queing up to try to bargain with me over the last nickel. They cant ever just buy something at what its marked. Nope, they think this is some 3rd world country where you bargain over prices. I thought I was back in Jamaica for a second.

7. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! Just doing a little fun creative writing on a boring Sunday morning! Hopefully nobody gets their panties all bunched up over it!

8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  9. daveg000

daveg000 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your first mistake was that you had a rummage sale.

Many years ago, I realized that it is a lot more work to have one, than to go to one.

The next mistake is that you don't realize that rummaging is a competitive sport, a treasure hunt, and a cut throat business rolled up into one big ball.

The early bird gets the worm, and there are plenty of treasures out there, although less than 10 years ago.

I have made $tens of $thousands of $dollars through the years selling rummage "garbage" on Ebay.

I personally know folks that have:

Bought a painting for $5, his wife hated it, put it in the basement for 10 years, brought it to the Antiques roadshow, and sold it at Christies for $225,000 2 months later.

Bought a fender tweed amp for $5 and sold it on EBAY 4 weeks later for $4000

Bought a Picasso for $1

Bought a box of 100 vintage auto door strikers for $1, and sold them for $100+ a piece on Ebay

My best 5 hour Saturday morning excursion, was $5000+ Profit, My 14 year old son that was with me racked up $1200 profit that day.

There are ridiculous things out there that most rummage sales would charge $2-$5 for, that sell on Ebay for $40 - $200, don't ask me why they sell for that much, but you get the idea.

So blame us folks that are out there, competing, bargaining, looking for the "big one" and finding many of the "medium ones", for being aggressive and competitive, but perhaps you understand it a little better.

Maybe you are selling garbage, but that little old lady or man next door could be selling a Fender Tweed amp that they used to call bingo for 30 years. Maybe that widow down the street is selling here husbands Snap On tools for $1 a piece.

First one there wins!

10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He who dies with the most junk, wins.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the problem.
    People hear that someone hit a score and everyone thinks it will happen to them.
    Sort of like one person saying how they made $10K in Vegas and now everyone thinks they can do the same.

I will say the majority of people at these sale are "unique". :wink2:

Some will even attempt to steal that 5 cent toy car with only 3 wheels to avoid having to pay for it.

My wife would hang up all the clothing neatly but no one would buy them. She then starting tossing them in a box and people starting buying them. It appears that when tossed in a box people like to dig for stuff and feel like they "found" something.

Oh, what about the people who get $3 worth of stuff and ask you to hold it while they run off to the ATM and never come back. Who goes to yard sales without taking money?!?!?!!?

Ever go to your neighbors yard sale only to see the stuff there that they bought from your yard sale???

With that said, I have to admit with our son in college and living in his own apartment the yard sales are a great place to pick up plates, dishes, cups, utensils, pots and pans for him and his friends. You know they won't care for them and you really don't want to spend too much.

Also, for those with infants, the yard sales are a great place to find affordable clothing. Infants grow so fast it is pretty common to find infant clothing with their store tags still on them because they outgrew them.

12. Mitkraft

Mitkraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When weighed against your last reply to me huddler that got a thread deleted this is some funny ironic sh$&!

That being said, where as I don't share your "kill em all" position I'm completely in agreement with the evils of garage sales. Or more to the point the evils of me having to be involved in one. My in-laws used to always want to have them at my house since we are in a good neighborhood that gets a lot of garage sale shoppers. After the first one I said "this sucks" after the second one I said "no more" and got my wife to agree so we refuse to do them ourselves or let them have them here. It just isn't worth the trouble. eBay it, craigslist it, or donate it!

13. mlsoregonhills

mlsoregonhills Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just don't advertise any freebies on craigslist...

14. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a local golf course neighborhood where the HOA only allows garage sales on one certain weekend a year. I has turned into a big event. The cops to patrol in golf carts to keep people parking well, they have portable restrooms so shoppers aren't asking to use someone's home, traffic flow directions, etc. Now, my friends, THAT is the way to do it.

That being said, I have never had one. I've heard if you save your crap for a couple of years you can make about $800 in a weekend. Some friends of mine do it right before Vegas or Hawaii vacations. I don't have enough good crap to make it worth a weekend.

And I refuse to listen to people haggle a price down from a dime. Not gonna do it. I believe I would start insulting people who are a part of this garage sale culture and I will not lower myself to it.

My biggest beef, however, is the signs that never come down.
    "BIG SALE
    1010 MAIN ST
    MAY 10-13"
    ...and it's June.
    I well support a city code which fines people for not taking down signs within three days of the sale.

15. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very funny. I haven't had a garage sale in years. I have helped friends and family.

Not a bats chance that anyone who shows up early will get to shop.

If they offer a lower price, I'll take it if its fair. If they start to haggle or are rude, I say that I'm not sure I even want to sell it. That usually gets full price.

My attitude is that I don't really need the money if I'm going to be upset after taking a lower price. I'm happier giving things to charity.

16. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I aint going to lie, I have gotten many a thread locked but am not sure of the one the you are referring. But yeah, the only thing worse than going to a garage sale, is having a garage sale. It sucks! It brutal. Its painful. I would rather be impaled with an aids covered fence post. Hopefully, that was my final garage sale of all time! I swear to God its been a few years since my last one, but I saw some of the same jackasses who were at the last one at this one. Thats what these people do for fun on the weekends. Again, with the lifestyle I enjoy, I try not to cast aspersions on others, but for the life of me I dont get the garage salers and their whole culture.

17. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats me, but I am too dam lazy to load all this crap up so I was hoping that the Garage Sale Grannies would haul it away for me!

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol. My wife just informed me after our July 20th vacation, we are going to have a garage sale.$#*!:cry:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  19. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be afraid! Be very afraid!:eek:

20. OnTheHorizon

OnTheHorizon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree!!! When my mom passed away a few years ago (my dad preceeded her death by about 10 yrs), I had a garage sale to get rid of a lot of her stuff. I swear....a lot was nice, but people still wanted things for literally nothing. I had someone STEAL a battery out of a Black & Decker emergency light - they left everything else, but took the battery which made the item worthless (I was only charging $2 for it and probably would have taken $1). After that, I decided to never have one again. I truly should have had an auction.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.