1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Funny story...party lines

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, you have to be of a certain age to remember telephone party lines. Everything was Ma Bell. You shared a line with your neighbors. You could pick up the phone, which was a landline and attached to the wall, for you young wippersnapers and your neighbor could be talking on the phone and you could listen to their entire conversation. They had to finish before you could make a call. BTW, a second phone, known as an extension, costed extra.

Fast forward to last Friday. We are having lunch with a cocktail waitress friend of ours and my wife mentions that Facebook reminds her of a party line. The only reason she is a member is to read what her nieces & nephews are up to. Our friend remarks that she has spent a lot of money on "party lines". We both break out laughing. She is early 40s and had no clue what we were talking about. We didn't go into detail about what she was talking about, but we had a good guess it involved 1-900 numbers.:evillaugh

Christmas
  2. alicia

alicia Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I kinda remember party lines, but I damn sure remember he kitchen phone being mounted on the wall, rotary dial of course, with one helluva a loooong, stretched-out cord that made it down the hall to the basement steps. That's where you went for some privacy... halfway down the steps and closed the door!

I won a lotta AM Radio call in contests on that phone... no redial then... you had to dial each number on the rotary and wait for that slow bastard to come ALLLLL the way back around before you could dial the next number! Those phones were built like tanks!

4. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,

My guess is she was referring to lines of cocaine........

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holy crap, that is one thing I would have never thought of, or heard of, but I have led a sheltered life, drug-wise.

That being said, on our next trip to Seattle or Denver, I was thinking about buying some legal marijuana and trying that for the second time in my life. My first and only time was in 1974.

Other than that one time, I have never tried an illegal substance. I don't mean to sound like a prude or be judgmental. Do what ever you want. It was just never my thing.

Christmas
  6. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol weed has sure changed alot since 1974!! I'd recommend getting yourself some edibles (cookies, brownies) I like the high way better from edibles than from smoking. But it has been a long since I've done either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.