1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Frontier Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by blackjacknut, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back on the board following following a hiatus (busy at work & purchasing a new home). Giving Frontier Airlines a try in October because I received a Virtual Gift Card from my Aunt. She travels on Frontier allot and is also a Vegas nut :) so she sent me a gift card for a Las Vegas trip. I usually travel to Vegas on United because I have status but since my Aunt sent me this I need to use it. So after that long winded introduction, what has been your experience with Frontier (good and bad). Thanks.

2. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can get past their fare structure, they have nice planes, Flight attendents are friendly.

They actually held a plane for our connection in Denver one time. Surprising.

My major complaint is that they only fly to a near airport seasonally. I wish they would pull out of that one (they are the only major airline flying there, and it's only one flight a day, and fly to a larger airport 35 miles closer.

Lot's of bitching and moaning on their FB page, but there's a lot of that on every airline FB page.

3. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have flown Frontier a few times out of Cleveland and once when they flew out of Akron Canton airport. I have no complaints. We are leaving October 12 on Frontier to Vegas. They now have non stop from Cleveland to Vegas. No more layover in Denver. :banana:

4. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First thing you'll notice is no first-class section.
    Second thing is (at least for me) is that every flight to Vegas requires a plane-change in Denver...and many of the layovers are quite long.
    As for the planes & FAs? I think you'll like them just fine - I have.

If your "gift" flight is "reward" travel, you will have trouble booking anything on short-notice. You need at least a month-in-advance to find a decent reward-travel flight to Vegas.

Oh, and their website is sort-of glitchy...and there is a fee for both checked bags and carry-ons.
    If your carry-on will fit under the seat in front of you, there's no fee.

Finally have the room booked! Look for me Feb 21-23
  5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry.

My experience used to be good...until they decided to turn into Spirit Airlines West. Been stranded overnight in Denver 3 times (twice due to weather, once due to mechanical failure) going to Vegas. They've lost my luggage once as well. I used to be a big supporter of them when they were basically still Midwest Airlines. And then a manager on duty @ DIA decided to explain to me that the reason they're having problems was because that's what happens when you turn into a low-cost carrier. LOL. I have 1 free ticket left to use with them and i'll never fly again.

6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Aircraft was quite uncomfortable on the CLE-SEA nonstop, but the fare I got for the wife was unbelievably good. From CAK (a friendly and convenient airport), the Denver layover is not bad at all going to Vegas, so much so that I might choose that over driving to Cleveland (a relatively hostile and inconvenient airport) to get a nonstop. CAK's major disappointment has been the Southwest takeover from Airtran. I was expecting an improvement, not a step backward.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier merged with Midwest Express (my former fave airline) a while back and it was always ME's policy to hold a departure if at all possible to allow a connection. Frontier probably assumed this policy.

Besides, it's probably much cheaper to hold a departure for a reasonable time than is to re-book 150+ pax, or worse, pay for that many hotel rooms.

8. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked Frontier out of Cleveland (on my gift from my Aunt), good thing is that I was able to get non-stop. Thank you all for the information.

9. Nick61

Nick61 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those considering Frontier, remember the following:

You pay for BOTH Checked AND carry on bags. Carry ons go from $20 to $35 depending on whether you tell them at time of booking, or when checking in. Similar rules apply for the checked bags they start at $20.

When booking your ticket, for ANY seat you pre-select--there is a charge PER FLIGHT SEGMENT anywhere from $3 to $20. So if you have a connection, you'll pay a seat selection fee for EACH leg.

If you want the "luxury" of ANY COLD DRINK INCLUDING SODA on the flight--you pay a fee--regardless of flight length. I thinks it's $3 bucks, I didn't buy one---probably out of spite and pride.

I've flown Frontier myself, just be prepared they will nickel and dime you to death.

The one that gets to me most, is the fee for the soda. They've reached a new low point with that one. It reminded me of the unlicensed street vendors in New York who sell bottles of ice water on a 98 degree day for market value--or in other words, depending on how hot & thirsty you look.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier recently started service out of Trenton, NJ and Wilmington, DE, both airports would be a convenient alternative to Philly. These airports are so small, you could park the car and walk to the terminal. But their website I slow and wonky, and does not work well on my iPad. It looks like they have some good direct fares to Florida, but not sure I would want to connect through Denver in the winter.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked a trip to St. Louis, $49 each way from Trenton/Princeton, NJ. With the carry on luggage fee of $20 each way and $3 to select my seat, my all in fare is $144.

Frontier is running a [STRIKE]Columbus Day[/STRIKE] Indigenous Native Peoples Sale from select cities: Trenton/Princeton, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Denver, Washington Dulles with fares starting at $39. Sale ends October 14. They are also starting service to Freeport, Bahamas, fares as low as $72 from Trenton/Princeton.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  12. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Frontier no longer has service out of CAK, they moved out when SWA moved in. Cleveland is your only option for Frontier now in the NE Ohio area. SWA is pretty much dominating CAK now with the purchase of AirTran. You can still hop Delta, and USAir and United (two flight a day only now). Trouble with CAK your connecting unless you are going to ATL direct, Philly, Reagan National, Boston, New York, Charlotte, Denver, Chicago (ORD, MDW). Those are the major connecting hubs for CAK. They were talking about a direct flight to LAS but haven't seen that one.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.