1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Friends losing interest in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have any of you noticed that your friends are either:

1) losing interest in going to Vegas
    2) not going as much as they use to (maybe financial reasons)

My friends were all about it in 2012, we went in 2013, and in 2014.

In 2015, I have one friend going with me, but the other (3) guys don't have the same love as the rest of us (on this site). Or, maybe they are tired of babysitting me when I get too drunk :)

Have any of you experienced this?

2. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES! #1 & #2.

The first time I went to Vegas, I managed to convince a lot of friends/family to go too.
    Interest from the group wavered after a f couple trips.
    I started taking my mother and I made into an annual thing.
    I try to go every 6 months. (May & October)
    My friends/family asked if I have a "gambling problem"
    None of them understand why on earth I'd want to keep returning to Las Vegas.
    They have this notion that I spend thousands and thousands of dollars on each trip.
    I actually spend way less on a week-long Las Vegas trip than I do for a weekend long trip within my home state!

Now I don't even mention Vegas trips to friends or family.
    Some people go on cruises, some people go to Disney World.
    (I go to Vegas...it's my "happy place"!)

LV 2017
  3. natedog666

natedog666 17 and 20 Expert

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, even with free everything I have problems finding good friends to go. A lot of people are too busy to go or don't really like to gamble. My mother has been a constant, however, and will go every trip :)

4. phade

phade Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think most people like to do something a time or two, and then the shine wears off. Sometimes it comes back after a few year hiatus, sometimes people feel they have "been there, done that" and are onto the next destination of the vacation choosing.

I really enjoy Vegas, and I'd be there much more if I were not a right coaster, but I also like to vacation other places, too. The islands, Europe, etc. Have to find a balance.

5. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    in 2001 a group of 8 went. over the years that group of 8 dwindled to a "group" of 2.
    the "group" of two is 10x better than the group of 8 ever was. no time wasted on decision making. we just go go go.
    we have an annual trip set in January and this past Jan was our 11th consecutive.

Futbol - final game
  6. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only go to Las Vegas with one person because we both like the same things.
    For a gal I would say she is 99% drama free! And she knows how punctual I am!
    We took my niece and her boyfriend out once and we all had fun. I'd do that again
    but I would never go with a group of people... No way! It would be like herding cats!

7. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think part of it is definitely financial for my friends. People get higher priorities...married, house, kids etc. I'm the last single holdout of my friends so I tend to have a bit more disposable income for things like travel. Family vacations to other places have also eaten into the group. Some prefer hawaii, Mexico, Europe, Disneyland etc and have very limited vacation time available.

8. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is hilarious, I am in the same exact both!!!! It's my happy place, and despite limiting my two trips a year to $1,200 in gambling money TOTAL, I somehow have a "gambling problem" lol!

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Geography killed my Vegas gang's getaways. Though none of the guys gambled, they loved Vegas, and the five of us had a lot of golf trips up that way together. But I moved up coast and Ed moved to Boston and there it all went.

10. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^5 To this!!!
    People thinking that I have a gambling problem issue KILLS me....
    .....but it takes longer for me to defend my choices than it is worth.
    I really don't spend very much money at all in Vegas compared to so many of the other things I spend on at home.
    So screw 'em....I'm going to make ME happy!

In my everyday life, I am a successful over-achiever....responsible in every way.
    I just freaking LOVE getting out to Las Vegas to have fun & unwind...get a little WILD and enjoy being free for a while.
    Vegas is totally my happy place. ;)wink2::woohoo::woot::poker:
    The city, shows & restaurants change often enough that there is ALWAYS something NEW to see & do!

LV 2017
  11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    interesting, I probably have a bigger "gambling problem" than most on this board,

and yet I never hear anyone telling me that.

[​IMG]

12. Flopitbaby

Flopitbaby Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My group has stayed together but we were smart before we got married. We told the future wives that this was an annual trip no matter what !

13. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my case, it's slightly scandalous to them that I would go to Vegas by myself.

They've seen Vegas once and they have no desire to go back.
    They can't understand why anyone would WANT to go to Vegas twice a year.
    So a few of them have said that I MUST have a secret gambling problem or something.
    To them it's NOT normal & it's very outside of the otherwise conservative bubble.

LV 2017
  14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my guys it's not so much a wife problem as much as it's just a planning problem. Many of my friends just don't have their shit together enough to sit down and plan a trip, so my last dozen trips are so have been quasi-solo. By that, I mean I figure out a time and place when I can go to Vegas, book the trip, and tell my friends. Usually at least one or two people are either in the area, or interested in going, and so it's not exactly a trip "with" friends, but more like a trip while friends happen to be in town.

15. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah...I'm right there as well with my friends... a few are good for the once-every-few-years trip... but even 'Vegas Buddy Mike' - they guy I've been going to Vegas with for 30 years - even he is down to a "once-a-year" mindset.
    Whenever I mention an extra trip, I get the whole "my wife...." or "my kids..." nonsense. This is a man who clearly has lost track of his priorities.

In all seriousness though, out of the 10 or so regulars I could count on in the 80s to go anytime I wanted to go, NONE remain...
    I find that kind of sad, actually...

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  16. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Took the words directly out of my mouth!!!!

I wish others thought like us. It's almost like LV hits the reset button on my life and EVERYONE just views LV as this dirty evil place, and judges you. It's my happy place too!

17. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I am the "planner" or the person that likes Vegas the most, I set a date, and plan my hotel, flight, and all other stuff. If they join, they join, if not, I still have a blast. If someone wants to go somewhere back enough, they will make it happen.

18. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sent you a PM to tell you a hilarious story that relates to this, lol. Check your VMB email. :)

19. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely not a lack of interest on my part. Just been going to other places. Since my last trip to Vegas we have been on a couple cruises also been to NYC for a couple week long trips and then short trips like to Ocean City NJ and Hershey PA with the new grandkids. Not to mention I bought a house!

But for 2016 I decided it has to be what I want since I will be celebrating my birthday. So trying to decide if I want todo Vegas/Grand Canyon another cruise or even Disney World, since we haven't been there for a few years.

20. rebirth

rebirth Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the first year that I'm going with 3 close friends. Every year, someone didn't go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.