1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Friends Bailing out

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Publius, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Publius

Publius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Normally I don't mind going on a solo trip as all my trips last year were. However, this year I wanted a few buddies to join me for my birthday. At first a few wanted to go, now it's down to one friend left and he is wavering. His concern is cost, I've got a comped room and have plenty of miles for flights that I'm going to use.

If I have to go solo I will, but I'm not cancelling this trip because I need the vacation badly. I just wish I had at least one friend to go with. Now my last friend who is still considering going needs a vacation badly. He hasn't been on one in 5 years and I know that he wants to go somewhere.

Any advice?

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Take your vacation. You can't force or beg friends to show up. Hopefully he or she does/they do.

BTW, is Vegas the problem for your friends(s) or is $$$ the issue? If it's Vegas, can y'all agree on something else? If it's money, are you willing to fork over the cash?

3. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in the same boat, other than the gf I can't convince buddies it's worth it, everyone thinks you need ten k minimum for a few nights which while that's a fun bankroll, it's certainly not required. Hell if air and hotel are covered how cheap does this friend want it to be?

4. Publius

Publius Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think it's Vegas, my other friends bailed because of other commitments and girlfriends/wife's not being able to go. The lone holdout is kinda a loner and is hard to get him to do stuff sometimes. I can shame him into going if I really want to. I'm willing to fork over some money to get him to come. The really dumb part was that he was the one to suggest the trip to me.

5. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you pressure him to commit then you commit to having a blast, maybe he'll get the bug

6. aaisack

aaisack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been in the same boat. Just go solo and make some new friends. I let my friends know that I always book a room with two beds. First one to buy a plane ticket gets a free room. If no one wants to come it's no skin off my back.

First time staying at the Flamingo
  7. Wonka

Wonka Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am in the same boat as you.. definitely feel your pain with people bailing out .. just do it solo.. I seem enjoyed it my last trip where I was there solo .. no need to adjust where to eat.. where to gamble.. how long to gamble. :)

8. Craps_Player

Craps_Player Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard things like this before, as have many (and probably including yourself). Firstly, if you force your friend to go with you and then later in the holiday you are kind of pulling in different directions, It could become awkward. The idea of having to do something to accommodate your partner or friend will require compromise.

This year I'll actually have friends coming across mostly for the weekend after a convention. However, I'm just as happy spending the time on my own and doing what I want to do. There's so much that you can actually do by yourself in Vegas, and it appears that you've done this already! Gaming for me is great fun as a unit (like Craps), but ultimately when I've got a mate with me and he's not into craps, then it's...awkward. I want to play, but know that he's itching to do something else. If I'm with the wife, the chances are that I won't be on the craps table. When I gamble, I play to win. I probably don't need the added distractions. When I'm wandering around the entire strip, then I love to be with friends. So, perhaps it's best to work out why you want to go to Vegas, and then prioritise from there. Perhaps you could go to Vegas another time (not on your birthday, which you many not want to celebrate on your own), as the comp room will be there still, and you can splash the airmiles and go somewhere else that others may find time for.

Personally, I'd travel to Vegas on my birthday - fly on the day and get upgraded, and live for the moment....to do what you want to do on your special day....

9. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know it's disappointing, but you really can't force someone to do something they don't want to do. Tell your friend(s) that you're going to Vegas for your birthday, you'd LOVE to have them join you, but if they don't want to join you you'll go, miss their company, and have a good time nonetheless. " You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose!"

Will give them a try!
  10. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happened to me many times. This is how I do it now. I say "I'm going to Vegas in June. My room and some food are comped. Anyone who wants to join is welcome. You only need to pay for flights, any food above my credits and your gambling". If they go, great. If not, I haven't spent weeks trying to convince them. The best part is I always get my trip in and if they end up losing a bunch I don't feel guilty that I forced them to go because I didn't want to go alone. I also always pay for any ground transportation as I would pay the same solo.

I'm the one who gambles the most so none of them would have a comp. It costs me not much extra and they feel like they are getting a real deal. We often don't even take the same flights because I'm not a fan of the southwest sardine cans. But we normally arrive within an hour or so of each other.

My next trip is for my BD so dates were non-negotiable. I'm going solo and fine with it. Actually, I get to gamble more without all their sightseeing and long meal distractions.

11. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wise words, Ezzy!

Will give them a try!
  12. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kind of off-topic but I sort of find it a bit funny that people are thinking they can't afford Vegas, for me it's the other way around. I'm pretty certain I couldn't afford going to New York, LA or any other big tourist destination in the US. Or at least not have the same level of luxury with my bankroll. Everything is relatively cheap with high standard in Vegas. We like to do 2 week trips since we're paying awful lot for flights and it's +10 hours flight time anyway. If I were to book a The Mirage level hotel near Times Square in NY for 14 nights, I'm pretty sure it would cost me more than hotel, food, shopping, drinks etc combined in Las Vegas.

13. ken2v

While we are having this sidebar:

HomeAway/VRBO. That's how popular vacation destinations become much more affordable. Rent a flat/loft/condo/house/mansion privately for some part of all of the stay. If two weeks at Fairmont Banff Springs is going to kill the budget, rent a condo in Canmore, for instance.

14. spdandpwr

spdandpwr Low-Roller

I don't know why people think Vegas is so expensive. I've had extremely wild nights in AC and Mohegan for less than $200 and that included food and gambling and am certain I'll be able to emulate that in Vegas. VP is $1.25 a hand and you get drinks while you're at the bar. Too many people associate Vegas with balling out but the reality is, if you're room and food is paid for, what much else do you have to buy? Hell, last time I went to Vegas, I bankrolled the whole trip for me and my gf and I don't even think I spent more than $1,500 and that included meals, rides, pictures, shows, gambling, drinks...

Oh yea, and you can pre-game in your room...and potentially find yourself a hot date every night.

15. spdandpwr

spdandpwr Low-Roller

Thank you!!! Vegas is very cheap (even with a 12.5% tax)..it's the incessant gambling that might get you.

16. jenblase

jenblase Low-Roller

Are you willing to use your miles to "pay" for your friend's airfare as well? I've done that too for my girlfriends - I get a comped room, and then I usually take care of their airfare with miles. So it's basically a free vacation for them then, other than gambling and food costs. Usually the friends will pick up one of my dinners as a thank you.

17. ken2v

Plenty of jurisdictions have that up over 20% now.

18. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always tell Vegas newbies, you can have a lot of fun on very little money ... but you can't have any fun on no money! :)

19. npom

npom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years back myself and several friends were all turning 50 so we were all going to go to Vegas to celebrate. As time went on all of them backed out for one reason or another. I used to try to get friends to come along with us but gave up. Lots of people say they want to go but most back out when pushed to actually book. My kids love to go and they sometimes will meet us out there. On our trip next month both are coming.

20. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you force or coerce a friend (or anyone) to join you in LV they are going to be BAD company. They will never get into that high adrenaline spirit that makes vacations so much fun. They will be pouty and become an annoyance. If they're not "into it", just go solo.