1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

For my Time Warner-Comcast brethren PII

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Reefer

Reefer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for that Joe. My wife & I had a great laugh. Glad we cut the cord. Funny tho, we use Netflix (enjoy it & works great) & HULU Plus (which we would like but streaming sucks on smart TVs & now I know why....it's owned by TW) - dropping HULU pay for & we'll just use free. I'll take my over $800 savings and take it to Vegas, maybe put it toward Cypress Pool at Bellagio, sit back in the shade as the pool boys move the umbrellas around to keep us comfortable, bring me my water, orange & cucumber slices, and allow us to relax the whole day....why do they do it? Because for what we pay them, THEY GIVE A F**K!

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a TW customer and I read where people have cut the cord, but I couldn't live without ESPN.

We had Directv for a time here and in Vegas, but not a whole lot of difference. Each year the price goes up and with WI winters, I had to go out and clean the dish.:cry:

We tried Netflix streaming (via wireless TW modem) and it just got stuck so often, we gave up on that. We just have the DVDs by mail plan for movies.

In this house, it's not practical to do a wired connection for streaming.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I got that message well before they bought NBC or started this new merger. Thank God for Uverse. They try to run commercials designed to make you look like a fool for not using them but no one with Uverse treats you like crap like they do and the rates don't fly up the way Comcast does. I wish they would flex their muscles and it make it harder for their competitors to get content or stream. It will make the eventual antitrust action all the more easier.

5. Reefer

Reefer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For fun once....
    TW raised our rate $7/month. I called TW & told them I had lost my job & we were struggling abit, could you help us out. "Sure, we'll discount you $7/month. "How kind, thank you".
    The next month our rate went up $7.00. Snip.....cut the cord.
    Took awhile to get used to it but working out well. No problems with Netflix streaming, only HULU Plus. Do miss some sports stuff tho.

6. lithium78

lithium78 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We cut the cord. It probably saves us about $1000 a year including all the sports I watch. It's pretty easy to keep watching sports after you cut the cord. Just sign up for whatever online out-of-market streaming package the league of your choice offers, then pay for a proxy and now you can watch your local sports broadcasts online. Then, you just use free streaming websites (using Jack Sparrow methods) for national broadcasts on cable channels and use an over-the-air antenna for national broadcasts on network TV. Problem solved.

I no longer subsidize the Kardashian family and it feels good, man.

7. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like I'm the only person on earth that doesn't totally hate Time Warner haha. I've been a member for probably 10+ years in all my various places of residence. My internet is pretty fast, they answer my questions on Twitter, they can come out and fix something almost immediately, you can call 24/7 or I can drive a few miles to the store and grab a new whatever I need... I have every channel I could possibly want.

I know a lot of people that have cut out cable, but I can't live without watching the news, and live TV. That's crazy! Also by the time you get the Hulu, Netflix, and a internet connection fast enough to stream it all, what do you save like $25? Doesn't seem worth it to me. I think between my TV and internet I get $100 a month worth of entertainment!

My parents have Dish, and they pay something ridiculous, had to sign a contract and I can't even figure out how to use it haha.

8. Reefer

Reefer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have kept TW Roadrunner Internet so streaming Netflix, Vudu, HULU is not a problem (HULU Plus has its own streaming problems however and hopeful they work it out- its not Internet connection). So just cutting the TV portion of the cable we are saving over $80/month even with the Netflix & Hulu cost.
    Don't get me wrong, it's not for everyone...we have learned to adapt. Just got sick of paying so much for TV we don't watch.

9. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have basic cable that I pay $40 a month for and I have no idea why. I am pretty much paying $40 a month for backgroud noise while I'm on my computer. I hate commercials so all my fav TV shows that I do watch, I download them which I pay another $11 a month for that service. Oh and I also have free Netflix. One of these days I'll stop being an idiot and cancel the cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.