1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

For golfers: Good hole-in-one/"hole-in-one" stories

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I was playing with a guy yesterday who told me about killing time on day waiting for the fairway to clear. It was slow behind him and the previous green was about 150 yards from his tee. You guessed it. He decided to hit a shot back that way and it went in.

I've never had one. But my two best par-3 dunk-it stories are:

1. Playing TPC Scottsdale several weeks before the Phoenix Open. On 16 I hit a hosel rocket into the stands, which still were under construction. About 30 workers all booed me. I was able to get a club on the ball and, you guessed it, jarred the shot for a birdie. I got a standing O.

2. Goose Creek in Mira Loma. I knocked my tee shot into the lake and I wasn't sure how it was staked, so I just re-teed. You guessed it ...

2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had one either, although I probably don't play often enough to give myself that many chances, but the closest I came was on a downhill par 3 that has a huge bunker right in front of the green with about a 8' lip on it, so if you are in the bunker, you can't even see the flagstick....Anyway, they always put the pin upfront right over the bunker lip. We were first off on a cold morning many years ago, and I hit a nice 8 iron that looks like it is headed for the flag. The ball hits about a foot in front of the pin, takes one hop and stops dead about 2" from the cup. The greens were so wet from the morning dew that the ball just chunked when it hit the green and stopped dead. I still don't know how that didn't go in from momentum alone. Any other morning that sucker goes in.....................

Ahh, the frustrations and joys of golf, lol...............................

3. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been close but have yet to get one. My closest was about five years ago on a 135 yard hole, playing slightly longer since it was uphill. I took an easy 9 and hit a shot that felt good. As I was walking up to the green i see that the edge of the ball was hanging over the cup, another 1/4-1/2 inch and I would have had my first hole in one. My most recent close shot was towards the end of last year on a course I was playing for the first time. 160 yards with a 7 iron and I missed the cup by about 4" on the fly based on where my pitch mark was. Ended up having about 2' left for the birdie.

4. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been a few inches away, once, and have only seen one. One the 4th hole at Furnace Creek at Death Valley. ~145, buddy smooths one in, but it's late evening and we are all staring straight into the sun, couldn't tell if it was short, over or on the green. He said he thought it went in, we were dubious...until we looked in the cup...

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No aces. My father had one playing with his friends but I like to give him a hard time and say it doesn't count.

He hit it on a foggy day and no one saw it go in. He couldn't see his ball and dropped another, chipped it on, then they found his original ball in the hole. Thus I tell him he abandoned the original one for lost and should have been putting for bogey ...

Been in a group for only one hole in one (at Legends on the Niagara - Battlefield hole #3). Again, we couldn't see it go it as it was a long undulating green and his tee shot was with a wood, so we saw him hit the green and just keep on rolling until we lost sight. Checked behind and beside the green first, then I suggested he check the hole. He did not set aside his hole in one ball, and lost it a hole or two later.

6. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had a couple of holes-in-one (both with 8 irons on my home course), however my best 'eagle' was interesting.

Playing in our annual October "Ironman" 3-man Scramble. Our 4th green had an obnoxious slope, which, of course, they stuck the pin that day (Ironman Tourney means that our course will be closed for winter, and they put the tees and pins in 'illegal' places on the course - like a tee shot from the driving range, making a 240 yard carry over water on our 'new' par 4, or a pin about 2 feet over a bunker, on a slope that can't stop a putt, etc.)

This 4th green apparently had five teams 5-putt (or more) given the severity of the slope they stuck the pin. Not our team, however --> we did not even need a single putt. We had about 155 yards out, and I took out my 8-iron, hitting last in our group, which had no balls even close to the green yet, then proceeding to hit a massive pull, going about 40 yards left of the green. The ball whacks a tree and careens straight right towards the back of the green. Then watching it hit that slope, it started its journey downwards, picking up speed as is traversed down the green, only to have the pin get in the way of its journey.

One hell of an eagle! (and, yes, we won the skins part of the tourney for that hole!)

Then last year, we remodeled our front nine greens, with our membership happily driving a back hoe through that green!!! (my reaction was mixed -LOL!)

8. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    During the 90's the plastics plant I worked at (now closed) had a golf outing every summer. The group ahead of mine had a guy in his early 20's that had never set foot on a golf course before that day. Yep, he nailed a hole in one. I have been golfing most of my life, and have yet to get one.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  9. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hit a cut 3-iron to a tucked pin, maybe 215 yards, old man playing with us said "It went in the bunker", he was wrong. :evillaugh

Two weeks later playing the #1 handicap Par 4, 450 yards right before the hole I"d aced, I channeled the good vibes and bouced a 5 wood from 220 over the bunker and into the cup for a 2.

golf game went waaaaaay downhill after college when I had to start really working. :cry::cry::cry:

10. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite hole in one story/eagle story wasn't a hole in one. Or even an eagle.

I was about 16 and we were playing Derryfield CC in New Hampshire. The 10th hole is a par four uphill with a blind second shot into the green. We finished the hole and rang the bell and were walking to 11 when in the group behind us, my friend's grandfather hit a nice approach to about 15 feet. We look back and one of us says nice shot, or something. My friend, without missing a beat, runs back to the green and throws the ball into the cup, then goes running back down the hill shouting 'Grandpa, you made an eagle!'

I'm pretty sure that man died many years later believing he holed that shot.

11. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had one in 30 years of golf

My most memorable hole in one story is from years ago when a buddy and I were playing a county course.
    The county used inmates from the jail to do small projects on the course. They were working on a par three when my buddy aced it. He got a big round of applause from the inmates and the guard.
    I've had plenty of eagles on par 4's from the fairway ,but never an ace no matter how close I come.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I hear you. You'd think that same kinda lightening would strike on a one-swinger. I've jarred wedges and irons on fours, driven fours and one-putted; reached fives in two and one-putted, once chipped in from the collar and canned a few thirds. But do I get an ace??????

Damn game!!!!

13. mdk63

mdk63 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was in high school in the 70's my friend and I decided we needed to do something unique on Mother's Day for our wonderful mothers. So, we decided to take them to our local "executive" 9 whole course close to our homes for nine holes and a breakfast.

Of course our mother's were terrible golfers but we were good sons and teed up their balls (even on the fairway), did the search for their lost balls in the woods and allowed them to cheat in whatever way they wanted. It was Mother's Day and they were great mothers.

On a short 105 yard par 3, surrounded by trees, my mother teed off with a driver and actually made excellent contact. Unfortunately it was headed for the trees and would have gone about 175 yards or so. But as fate and the golfing gods would have it on Mother's Day, it hit a tree, changed directions, dribbled on to the dew covered green and made a beautiful trail right to the pin and into the hole.

Best Mother's Day ever! We talk about it every year on Mother's Day to this day.

14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had one as a teen on a par 3. I was playing with my mom & grandma. I didn't even have a full set of clubs.

I teed off and whacked the crap out of it. I saw it bounce on the green and roll towards the hole, but didn't see where it went. We walked up to the green and my mom was looking off one side and my grandma looking off the other. I said, "Maybe it went in the hole" and they both laughed and kept looking. I walked up to the flag and there was my little white Titleist in the hole.

I never even came close to repeating that trick.

15. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    years ago I decided to play golf - at the same time as a few freinds of mine.

well due to work etc they had finished all thier lessons nad had got a few rounds in before I was ready to hit the course.

finally I get out there and I'm first off the tee- nice little par three to star with a carry over water.
    as I'm warming up every time I swing my club they are all in unison going weeeee.. splash. dickwads..

I finally get the ball on the tee and hit it.. straight over the water, bounces just before the green, runs on and misses the hole by about 1/2 inch and stops 2 foot past.

naturally I three put.....

16. Brensan

Brensan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awww...I love that story! My dad was a scratch golfer, but he got an inoperable brain tumor when he was 56, and died at the age of 60. The last time he played golf with me he was so sick and even drugged his spikes across the green (yeah that long ago) - but his last hole ever was a birdie - knocked it in from the sand trap!

I got a hole-in-one before my husband's first:evillaugh. He witnessed mine, then made his first 1 on the same hole the next week. Then within the month he witnessed three more 1's. Everyone wanted to play with him!!

BEAU RIVAGE - Super Bowl weekend
  17. Rush

Rush High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I made an ace about 20 years ago. The thing of it is.....I never saw it go in!

The cup was cut right behind a bunker at the front of the green, and the shot came right down on top of the pin. The other two in my group and I knew it would be close! As we got closer to the green, I could not see the ball. Of course, the skeptic in me figured the balled rolled off of the green, so I crept up VERY slow to peek in the hole, and there it was!!! One other time, on the high school golf team, I hit the cup on the fly, chipped a piece off of the cup with the ball, and the ball hit the pin and went off the green!!!!! I ended up with a bogey!

I am not a long hitter, so I don't get many eagles. I have never had an eagle on a par 4. I was in a tournament last summer, and a kid I was golfing with hit a nice drive on a par five and was about 230 out. He smacked a five wood, it bounced short of the green, over a bunker, and onto the green. I said, "Nice shot", and started to shoulder my clubs when he and the other two guys start jumping and yelling, "IT WENT IN"!!!

First time I was "witness" to a double eagle, and I never saw it! :poke:

18. cha4zz

cha4zz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Playing my local course, I thinned a ball off the tee on a ~130 yard par 3 with an 8 iron. Assuming that it had run off the back of the green I was about to play a provisional when one of my partners said he'd seen it run through the back and he had a good eye on where it was.

So we hunted for about 5 minutes before I gave up with the hole (it was only a casual round) and let my three buddies finish the hole up. As I went to pull the flag out of the hole, I noticed that there was a ball in the hole and assumed someone had left it there from the group in front, but nope, there was my ball. It had obviously rolled directly off the flag into the cup.

Thankfully, the clubhouse was quiet and it was only 8 drinks that I had to buy! The rest of my round was much like that shot, total rubbish.

19. four to a royal

four to a royal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of stories about what happened after a hole in one. I"ve had one,
    came on the third hole. Had parred the first two. Get to the fourth tee with
    the excitement of my first hole in one, (and being 2 under), make a double to
    start the collapse that would be the rest of the round.

Playing in a tournament a few years ago, guy in my group gets his first one on
    #6. High fives, kidding about the upcoming bar tab, etc. He was playing well
    up to that point, figured he might be the guy to beat in our flight. You guessed it, it went bad after that, culminating with an 11 on #13. I'll never
    forget what he said after the round: You don't see to many 1's on a scorecard, I had three of them.

20. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On My home course playes a 4 iron on a 214 yrd par 3, this was this time of year late March and late in the day, sun was setting directly behind the hole, tee it up never saw anything other than the ball heading towards the green and myself and playing partners all lost sight of the ball but were all sure heading in the right direction. Anyways get to the green looking everywhere, buddy laughs and says "check the hole " no shit its in the hole LOL,
    Another time playing a 480 par 5 same course, pouring rain, hit a driver really well , the only club that had a dry grip was the 6 iron, skulled it off the fairway and into the hole for a double eagle :thumbsup:

Just Click The Book It Button It's Easy
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.