1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

For Dog Lovers

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., Oct 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My doggie died last Sept. 2012., She died of old age, had kidney failure, etc.

I decided I wanted to adopt a Pug mix from a Animal Shelter. But.... I saw a really sad doggie that is 7yrs.old and part Chihuahua, beagle. She is a sweet doggie.
    I have only had her for two weeks. She is already trained to follow simple commands.

Since I am a senior I only had to give a small donation for the doggie. I was also given two free complimentary visits to a vet near my condo. I had noticed my new doggie named Snoopy had a dry hacking cough. It would only happen once in awhile. The first visit the Vet said my doggie was okay. The Animal shelter had already given my doggie all her vacinations, a chip, dog tags, and was spayed.

This Saturday night I noticed my doggie was really coughing a dry cough. So today
    I took my doggie to the Vet for the second free visit. THE Animal Shelter pays the
    Vet for the visit because my doggie got sick at the Animal shelter with a
    respritory sp breathing problem.

They charged me $80. for anti-biotic generic meds and $52. for the Vet visit for a total of $132. total. I complained and said it was supposed to be a free vet visit and that the $80. for 20 pills of DOXYCYCLINE was too much money. I told them I had the same med in my home... that my doctor had given me for just $5. since I have drug insurance. I handed them the med bottle back to them.

I told the office workers that I WAS planning to take my dog to the Animal Shelter
    where they have vets who will see my dog for free and most likely not charge me for the antibiotics since the dog caught the problem at their kennel.

I said I am leaving now and you all can call me later and we can discuss this later.

The Vet came out to my car to tell me that the visit was free and the meds were
    free too since my dog had caught the medical problem at the Animal Shelter.

I just said to the Vet. "Thank You". I think the Vet ran after me because they were afraid I would report them since they get a lot of business from the Animal Shelter and the Animal Shelter does PAY THEM FOR MY DOG'S two visits. They would have gotten in trouble.

I am tired of being ripped off by Vets who did a lot of tests on my doggie that died
    last year. I used to pay a lot of money for visits to the vets for many tests that were useless. I spent a thousand of dollars or more for my last dog. This time I plan to fight back and find an affordable vet and always ask how much the meds
    are before paying for them. I am sure I can find some loop holes for the meds.

I am happy again... now that I have my new doggie. She is so much fun. I asked her if she wanted to take a bath and she said, "NO WAY" in doggie talk. She even
    did a cute howl. LOL. She is a talker which is real cute.

I just wanted to tell my experience with a Vet and how I fought back. LucyR.

2. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lost my dog on Christmas eve 2 years ago. I had him from 8 weeks old to 9 years. Had to put him down because he had recurring bladder stones and there was nothing short of 15k in vet bills that might give him a few extra years. The first surgery and emergency room visit cost ~5k.

I understand where you're coming from. I finally found a vet near my house thats pretty cheap and hes looked at my gfs dogs for the last two years. I would definitely start looking around on yelp or talk to other people at dog parks to find an affordable one.

3. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vets definately try and gauge us on pet meds. Always ask if there is a human generic equivalent that can be called into a pharmacy.

I'm so glad you have a new furry companion Lucy!

4. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your support

I think it is a great idea to look for a affordable vet and also ask for a generic
    med that people also take.

I did waste a lot of money on meds when I had my other dog because she would get better on her own and wouldn't take the meds except a few times then she wouldn't take them anymore and I would notice there really wasn't nothing
    serious with her and that she was okay.

This morning I gave my doggie Snoopy her med inside her moist dog food. I just
    opened the capsule and mixed into the food.

I try to buy my doggie the best dog foods and I always look at the ingredients. I also cook fresh chicken and rice to mix with her dog food. I don't plan to buy her
    any doggie junk snacks that companies are making for dogs. Some brands are
    really bad for dogs.

I am so sorry for the lose of your pets for those of you who have had pets who eventually died for different medical reasons or accidents.

My mother was always kind to dogs and other pets. She said that my doggie is like a cute baby and very sweet. She gave her a doggie blankie that Snoopy loves.
    LucyR.

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you. Glad you have a new friend to keep you company!

6. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's wonderful that you adopted a new dog from the shelter, Lucy. She's a lucky girl! :)

7. Max2589

Max2589 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have my own and my mother has 5. She is even a foster parent for
    A yorkie rescue league. She has pet insurance on all her dogs.

I used to have VIPet insurance e but cancelled it over a few months.
    That was three years back, he's not 5. A my mothers urging a picked
    Up a policy with Trupanion pet insurance about 4 months. $50/mo

My dog has never needed any vet trips ever other then shots and check up.
    However, three weeks ago he started throwing up constantly.
    After initial visit, two x rays, ultrasounds, two days hospital stay
    Meds, bill was 1800 bucks.

My deductible was 300 bucks and then they covered 80% or
    So of the work done. I'm getting reimbursed about a grand.

My other had operations on her dogs and get thousands back quick.

Just saying, food for thought. I was against it but I am not a fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.