1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Food for the Homeless

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Frisky, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I am sure that people giving leftovers to homeless people have the best of intentions, realistically it is doing nothing to help. Kind of like the saying, "teach a child to fish and they will never go hungry". If you feel good giving leftovers, think how great you would feel if you actually gave up a simple 4 hours of your time in Vegas to work in a homeless shelter. Or delivered food. That way these people could actually sit down and enjoy a meal on their own plates, with sanitary conditions, instead of being treated like dogs and given scraps to huddle down in the corner and eat. Shelters ancourage them to return,and helps them get real assistance with their individual issues. Feeding people on the street individually only keeps them in the same place for another day, and does nothing to address why they are there. It also encourages them to return, and return, and return, to a place where other people are probably treating them poorly.

These are just my own opinions, not pretending to be an expert, and I am not being judgemental. By all means, keep giving, it is better than nothing.

Here are some other ideas that you can use to help. My favorites are bus tokens, and amenities from your room. And before anyone asks, yes I have donated time in Vegas. Granted, it was to an animal rescue, but I tend to like animals better than people sometimes.

http://voices.yahoo.com/12-easy-things-help-homeless-452589.html?cat=5

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I admit I have a softer spot for animals because they are completely innocent and give unconditional love.

3. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    well if it was in the paper then it must be true.

4. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't homeless... :grrr: I just looked like it after drinking til 4am with you. :drunk:

5. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

Still don't believe it, and I stand by my statement. If anyone did that, they are fools. You can buy nutritious foods for less than that. Beans, vegetables, etc.

6. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see why it would be so hard to believe, you just need to apply "big number theory" to the idea...

The US population is more than 310,000,000 of which 40,000,000 are age 65 or older, thus classifying them as a senior.

When you are dealing with that many people you are pretty much going to be able to find just about anything.

8. Ike

Ike Low-Roller

Like I said, you can get cheap canned food, or ramen noodles, for less than the price of dog food. You have to be a fool, or senile to do such a thing. After reading that link, I guess I can put the dog food eaters in the same category as the other crazies in this world...

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We try to support charities and outreach programs that target those who through no fault of their own ended up in dire straits--kids, battered women, etc. We like nature, too, and educational programs.

I have no empathy for the panhandler whose appearance on the same corner for the past 10-12 months can be timed to the accuracy of a Swiss watch. I have no empathy for people who used the overinflated "value" of their homes to fill the driveway with an RV, two jet skis, a boat, a Harley and a pimped-out Jeep with $6000 worth of rims and rubber on it, and now they're defaulting on their obligations. These people made a choice.

People need to do what people need to do, and any small bit of charity is as important as someone who devotes his/her life to helping others. We can make a difference, but we never can or necessarily should be able to close the gap totally.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, a diet of ramen noodles is the solution. lol Hello, malnutrition.

People make choices all the time, good or bad, nonsensical or logical -- and many times those qualifiers are value calls, not hard fact. People eating pet food isn't exactly man-bites-dog news.

Look at us as a nation. The greatest food supply chain ever devised, instantaneous distribution, wealth, yet we are morbidly malnourished and immensely rotund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.