1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flu : Is anyone else suffering?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by JWBlue, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My girlfriend caught the flu last week. Predictably, two days later so did I.

I have never been this sick in my life. I began to get sick last Wednesday and thought I was getting better on Sunday. It has gotten worse the past two days.

I went to CVS to pick up some Cold/Flu Tylenol and there was one package left on the shelf. The clerk told me they can't keep them in stock. They are doing some sort of special order every day for two packages just to have something to sell.

I heard somewhere when someone has the flu that taking a fever reducer is detrimental because the immune system is stronger when there is a fever.

Is this true?

2. Tellafriend

Tellafriend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't know the answer to yoru query but can commiserate with you. I have been sick for the last 10 days and I'm so tired of it. This cough just will not quit!

3. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its pretty bad here....based on the news.

We are being extra cautious with a Vegas trip next week. Basically locking ourselves indoor until we leave, but I feel avoiding the flu so far is like getting on a hot streak in Vegas......you know soon it will end. Hopefully it will be AFTER our trip if at all. :peace:

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Had the flu last week, now I have a persisting sinus infection as a result, hope the antibiotics I had prescribed today do the trick

worst part about it is the coughing at work and the burning lungs when I'm at the gym, ugh

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got the flu shot several months ago.

Went to Vegas Superbowl Weekend. Flew home on Monday afternoon. Tuesday night I was sick with the flu. Today, 1 week later, I'm finally feeling decent (about 95% of normal).

I think I got the virus on the plane ride home. I used the stupid overhead air vent the entire flight home. I've heard never to use them because of the recycled air that comes out of them, but decided to do it anyway. Never again . . .

Anyone else ever heard that those overhead vents in planes increase the likelyhood of ingesting bad airborne germs?

Urban myth?

6. win4me

win4me Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have heard this also (using airplane air vents=germs). It makes sense, but could be urban myth :)

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know if it is urban myth or not, but the first thing we do when we sit down is close the vents.

Knock on wood, haven't been sick in the last 15 RT flights.:thumbsup:

Think about it...all it is is doing is recirculating the cabin air, along with a little fresh air. So anybody who is sick and blowing germs, it gets recirculated.

Now I may be totally full of sh*t on this theory, but no problems after the last 15 RTs.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am thinking of wearing a mask during the flight.
    Hopefully only 2 of the 3 seats are full to avoid having to sit next to someone who is sick.

9. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope everyone feels better

I think theres some truth to air travel being a germ spreader,you're in a closed area for several hours and also you're touching surfaces that many other people touch that are probably not cleaned thoroughly after each flight. Do they wipe down all the in flight entertainment components after each flight?
    Also the magazines in front of your seat,the tray tables ? Someone told me that one of one of the biggest germ spreaders are restaurant menus ,does anybody clean those off? So once again,get well .

10. gongoman

gongoman MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Well believe what ya want to believe Joe it's your right..It's one of the few things we have left..:beer:

But I think your thinking is um..Totally um..ha

11. CinnamintStick

CinnamintStick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a compomised immune system so My husband and I had the flu shot in October. I have been around alot of sick people. I was even on a 11 hour bus with sickies. So far we have not even got a cold this year. The people I know that have been sick have been sick a long time. My sister in law just got back from Las Vegas and is sick too.

12. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am out of the sick room.

Thank God.

13. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Phooey about those airline magazines. Since my book is now on my iPad which has to be shut off for take off and landing , I read their magazines. Guess I'll bring my own along. One of the worst places for magazines is in a doctor's waiting room.

I doubt the restaurants wipe the menus off. I carry a spray hand santizer for use after touching it.

Wish I could say that all of this has kept me well. Last Vegas trip the guy behind me was coughing without covering his mouth. I was sick with a cold by the next day.

Maybe some of it has prevented me from catching something worse.

14. luvstp

luvstp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The flu? I only wish I had gotten the flu......instead, I found myself hospitalized a week ago for pneumonia in the left lung. Four days of IV antibiotics in the hospital until I begged them to let me out so I could get some rest. Am finally starting to feel better, but am still tired. If I heard one more person ask me "do you smoke?".....I thought I was going to scream. When you are 52 years old and don't smoke, you're not supposed to get pneumonia......or so they say.

Seeing my primary care physician today to see if I can head back to work on Monday.....and am now wondering if we will be going to LV on Tuesday or not. I hate being sick......

15. angelo

angelo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just bought some stuff to fight the flu. I have sore throat and I feel cold.. Hope to be alright soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.