1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flight Costs High Everywhere Or Just From Cincy ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by teroot10, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teroot10

teroot10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am having a terrible time finding reasonable flights for a planned trip in September to take my mom and 3 other friends.

A year ago I paid $270 out of Louisville everything else from Cincy and airports within 2 hours are $450 and higher is this the norm now for flight costs. I did find $378.00 out of Indy but I have to shorten my trip and fly Mon thru Fri instead on Sun thru Sat.

I have 2 rooms comped for 5 nights at Paris and a 6th night at $37.00 plus $100.00 resort fee. A great deal.

When did they start resort fees ? I didn't pay that last February.

Just venting and seeing if anyone has seen any great flight deals.

I've tried every airline.
    Thanks teroot

2. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking to come out of dc and it is around $600 from both national and Dulles nonstop in august. I'm going to sign up for the hilton contest. From bwi it is around $400 but with parking and road travel time, it will be around the same price as nat'l and dulles.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  3. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they airfares are just running high right now and have been since around Jan/Feb. I normally pay $250 round trip (+/-$10) out of Austin, TX. I paid like $340 in March? for my flight in last week, and I've only seen that price once...when I bought mine, and they didn't stay at that rate but for just a few hours before going back up. Currently flights are running $374+
    I was thinking of going back Labor day weekend since it's my bday then, so I'm checking flights everyday!

4. runningonthehub

runningonthehub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think airfares are high and will stay high. Flights are full and there are fewer flights and fewer airlines. Less competition is never good for the consumer.
    Airlines have no reason to lower fares. It is a sellers market. Get used to higher fares.
    If you see a price that you are comfortable with, you better book it. Hopefully, you can re-book if the price drops.
    The "good old days" are over.

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flights are still cheap for me. Around the $200 range if you go during the week.

6. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe you are correct

7. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

In answer to original query, yes and yes. Flights are high everywhere and flights are especially high in Cincy. Your town is hit particularly hard because of a drastic reduction in flights over the past decade and the absence of low-cost carriers.

8. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    T,sign up for the Total Rewards Visa and with automatic platinum status,it should get any resort fees waived.It think it applies to Paris so there is $ saved for the higher airfare.And also get some reward credits for F+B by charging $750 in 90 days of issue,another $100..great deal check the 'comps' forum/thread.

9. JTEINMN

JTEINMN Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on the prices I'm seeing here, I guess I should feel better about the price I paid for end of Aug.. From New Hampshire thru Chicago $315 R/T ($630 ttl):thumbsup:. Originally thought it was quite high, but in retrospect it looks pretty good. This was thru Southwest, and I'm curious if there June "Sale" will be any better!!!

It all seems to one big game...Happy Hunting:peace:

Good Luck, Tim

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  10. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

We were able to grab AUS-LAS at $282 RT but it quickly went back up to near $400 and has stayed there. We are going next week, and then I'm also looking at Labor Day Weekend because it's my birthday too! :wave:

I think Southwest usually has a good sale in June, so maybe sit tight and hope for that.

Vegas Just Because...
  11. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked $270 round trip out of MSP for an October Vegas trip. When planning a trip I have Kayak send me flight into daily. I dropped down for one day - and I booked it.

Now, trying to find airfare from MSP to Miami or Fort Lauderdale - I'm looking at over $500. I've never paid that much for airfare in my life.

12. kittyglitter_mm

kittyglitter_mm Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you checked Frontier out of CVG? That and Louisville are my standard airports too and flights are high. I'm using Delta ff for my June trip but I'm sick of Delta and have been looking into alternatives. I haven't flown Frontier but some of the rates look reasonable.

13. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My airports have become ridiculous. It is not just SW either, when I check travelocity for other carriers it is the same or worse PLUS baggage fees! I use to think that $378 rt was high....I paid $550 for 1 person for my upcoming June trip and no other carriers were any better. I flew last Halloween on a great deal for $250 rt ( doubt I will see that again). Think I will start using my SW credit card at the grocery store every week, build up those points! I have 4 airports to pick from MHT, BOS, BDL and PVD...we love MHT but wind up going out of BDL because it is cheaper and has the nonstop still.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long gone are the $225 RT fares here in Milwaukee. Frontier has reduced flights. SWA is buying Air Tran. SWA passenger share is now close to 70%.

Almost no competition so we now are used to paying $400+ pp. But, at least there are 3 non-stops a day to Vegas.:thumbsup:

$412 pp for both June & Oct.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  15. teroot10

teroot10 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have checked every airline within a 2 hour drive every which way I can think of. I have signed up for Yapta alerts.

I was just wondering if it was just us here in Cincy but I guess it's not.

I really want to go so I'll probably bite the dust or keep watching for a awhile. My trip isn't till September 21st thru the 27th.

Last year I pd $270 and I was good with that and other times in past years it's been much lower.

Hopefully it will come down some I'd rather spend my money gambling and shopping and of course eating great food.

Thanks Teroot

16. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got my Air from Portland, OR for $262 per person, round trip, flying SWA. I don't know how that compares to last year, because we booked flight and hotel together last year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.