1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Flamingo Nov 4-8th

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by PokerFaceNJ, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PokerFaceNJ

PokerFaceNJ Low-Roller

Feb 7, 2004
    New Jersey
    Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Hi all...I get so much information from this board I thought I would share some details about my trip. I am not going to do a moment to moment report but just some highlights.

Group of 14 of us met in Vegas to celebrate a friend turning 50 years old. His name is Bob and of course the event's name was Bobapalooza! We came from NJ, FL and Tex. Mostly vegas veterans but some virgins were thrown into the mix.

FLIGHTS: Took Southwest on the way out with a stopover in Chicago. Everything was smooth and they even let me preboard as I had back surgery last month. I was able to sit in the front and was more comfortable. Took Spirit Air on the return and I just do not like this company. The seats seem to be packed into each other and I can hardly stretch. The stewardesses rarely come around so getting a drink order is near impossible. Although I get great prices with them, I may need to avoid flying with the company in the future.

HOTEL: We stayed at the Flamingo all four evenings. This is my second stay in this hotel and I really like the place. I had a GO room over the weekend and it was only $60 a night using my rewards card. I used their friends and family deal to also reserve the cost for three other rooms for my friends. Without the $20 trick I was upgraded to a strip view and this was simply magnificent. We were on the 23rd floor and just had the drapes open the entire stay as we would just catch ourselves staring outside. Bed was very comfortable, shower worked great, no wear or stains anywhere that I could see. Of course the TV in the bathroom mirror was our favorite, especially after eating a buffet! Checking in was fast as we were helped within a few mins of getting on line at 1PM on a Thursday. We did not have to wait as our room was ready immediately. The adult pool was even open for two of our days there if we wanted to go swimming.

RESTAURANTS: We are a "frugal" couple as we just don't go to the expensive places. We did finally try the steak dinner at Ellis Island and that was simply amazing. I really did expect a second rate steak for the money but it was 10 oz with very little fat that was cooked extremely well. We loved it so much we went back a few nights later and it was just as good.

The birthday dinner was celebrated at Battista's Hole in the Wall. This was just a small walk from the hotel. I have read some good and bad things about this place but I must tell you that I enjoyed it immensely. Nothing fancy but everything is cooked very well as all 14 of us enjoyed the meal. The free wine as so-so but after the first few glasses who cares. The staff was wonderful and the place had a nice charm to it.

We had breakfast one day at the Egg and I. I read some nice reviews and wanted to try the place. Food was fun and tasty but I feel the same as I do about Hash House a Go Go where I just wish there was less food so I don't feel the need to gorge myself. Also both places love the hash browns...almost too much again.

We went to Dicks Last Resort for one dinner and this was the low point of our trip. We went there because we heard of the rudeness and looked forward to the fun. It really is just a real loud place with extremely overpriced, tasteless food. My wife ordered the chicken tenders that were no different than going to a ball game but cost $16. I ordered the chicken wings that had very little flavor. We hardly could talk to each other because the volume of the music was so loud. I suggest you avoid this place.

Our last morning we went to Wynn's for the breakfast buffet. I read many places this was the best one and wanted to see for myself. It really was that good and at a very good price ($19 ea). The food was incredibly tasty and they had constant turnover. Go for the hash browns here as they were the best I ever had.

DRINKING: We don't drink alot when home so look forward to it on vacations. Went to the Sin City Brewery the first night in the Flamingo. Great atmosphere as many of us sat around the fire pit they have outside. Expensive but you can get two pitchers for $15. I drank plenty of beer but did not even get a buzz so wonder just how much alcohol content they have to their brews.

Went to see Big Elvis and had drinks at Bill's on second day. Third time seeing him and I never get bored. Drank $1 Newcastles there as it is one of my favorite beers. Small cups but I didn't care. We all enjoyed our time at this bar.

Drank at the Caesar's sports book during football sunday. Great football crowd and made some fun new friends. Was there from 10:30AM to 5PM. No discount for drinks even during the games. Quite expensive and I suggest if you are also frugal you check out some other places. We did walk over to Emeril's at the Palazzo afterwards. Even though we couldn't stay, we could walk around. WOW what a set up. I really want to make this a place I go to on my next trip to Vegas.

The last night we did some drinking at O'Sheas. Big mistake! Not because of the place or prices but because I got sucked into drinking the $3 car bombs. I could barely make it back to my room later into the night. Had fun with playing beer pong though!

GAMBLING: Didn't do too much. I live a couple of hours from Atlantic City and play more poker when I go there. When in Vegas I look to relax, drink and be with friends. I did get to play about 10-12 hours of poker though during the four days. Mostly Omaha H/L at the Venetian which is my favorite. Also played some no limit holdem at the Flamingo (bad rake, will avoid in future), and a mixed game at the Mirage. Only won at Omaha and ended up with extra money in my pocket for the trip.

OTHER ODDS AND ENDS: My wife loves the lions at MGM so I went to reserve her a spot to feed them. WOW...$200 cash for six minutes?? Really?? I wish I could have given that to her but she would have killed me for spending that much for so little of time.

Fremont Street was a blast again. I just love spending time there and wish I could have persuaded my group to stay at the GN. They had an all girl band playing that night called Dangerous Curves that was fantastic. My group did not enjoy the place as much as my wife and I, but again the vibe is great.

We went to the infamous Pawn Shop and it was a bit of a letdown. What a small place and everything inside was super expensive. We did get to see the Old Man though which was kind of cool. No Chumlee to my wife's disappointment.

Overall a great trip and sorry this is not more of a detailed report that I often enjoy reading. Send me a note if you want more information about anything I did though and I will be more than happy to share.
  2. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Jun 25, 2007
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!! Flamingo is one of my favorite places too, altho it gets heavily criticized by others.
    Fun with friends!
  3. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Jun 12, 2006
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the details.
    All the recent reports have me convinced to skip the pawn shop!
  4. rje

rje High-Roller

Jan 14, 2003
    Nice report.
    I was there the same time... stayed at TheHotel.

Wonder is we passed drunkingly in the night??

Anywho, I agree with you about Dick's ... avoided it this trip as I found it to be loud and overpriced on a previous trip.
  5. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Nov 26, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report.
  6. LBCutta

LBCutta Tourist

Jan 23, 2010
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great Report! Car Bombs are great aren't they...lol
  7. pywakit

pywakit Low-Roller

Sep 27, 2007
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do go back to Emerill's at the Palazzo..be sure to order the burger..best I have ever had.
  8. tazdev75

tazdev75 Tourist

Sep 21, 2010
    pleasant prairie, Wisconsin
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the trip report. sounds like you had a great time.
  9. reen1962

reen1962 Low-Roller

Mar 28, 2008
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, I'll show my stupidity.....where is The Egg and I? We go to Vegas as least once a year and I believe we ate at The Egg and I in San Diego in Sept. and really liked it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.