1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker First VP Tournament

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by nubia11, Jun 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nubia11

nubia11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like I might actually make a CET VP tournament this summer. I've always wanted to participate in one but timing never seems to work out. I'm a pretty fast player but I'm sure under the pressure of the clock, I'll be holding all kinds of odd hands. :confused2:
    So, it looks like this particular tournament (at Bally's) consists of two 10 minute rounds. I'm wondering how you know what time during the 6 hour window your going to play. I assume you get a time assignment at registration? Any pointer aside from play fast and shoot for the 4OAK or better? I'm looking forward to it. Should be fun.

2. Kc4400

Kc4400 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played last year. You go the night before or that morning and they give you a time slot. Can't help on strategy, I didn't finish well.

3. pinklime

pinklime Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About 3 years ago I played in my first VP tourney at Flamingo. I actually thought it was just a regular slot tournament and discovered it was VP when I went to register. As I'm not a regular VP player, I almost backed out but decided to sign up for the heck of it. I signed up for two sessions with least participants (top two finishers got to go to the finals). I didn't do very well the first day.

We were staying at PH and I remember it was pouring with rain the next day and I hummed and hawed about going to the 2nd session, I really didn't expect to place at all. Since we had a rental car, we decided to go just to kill time and guess what? I finished 2nd place. They gave me $100 freeplay as a prize and told me to come back in 2 hours for the final session.

Long story short, I actually WON the damn thing, came in first place for a prize of $5K in freeplay. No one was more surprised than me, I was just hoping to place so I could win a few $$$ in freeplay. The funniest thing of all is that while I do know how to play poker, I have no idea about strategy for the different VP games, I guess we were just playing JOB? My strategy was to not overthink and just hold pairs or high cards if nothing substantial came up. I do not recall any 4OAKS or straight flushes during the 10mins, perhaps a few full houses and straights but I just played at a steady pace and didn't overthink my hands.

My advice to you would be to a) pick sessions with the least amount of sign ups; b) keep your head down and just play!

Good luck!

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've played in several at The Cal, Suncoast & Orleans. I love VP but I don't play that fast when it's my money. I could never keep up and usually had credits left when the session ended. So, no tips from me!

But, every tournament I played in, there was a registration day and you were assigned 2 times for play. Some had a banquet on the third day to award the prizes and the food wasn't bad either. Basic buffet style, but in a separate banquet room.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Christmas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.