1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First time at Old Homestead Steakhouse in Caesars

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by phxpoker, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phxpoker

phxpoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be in Las Vegas 10/8-11 and planning to eat at Old Homestead. This is the first time to eat in this restaurant and I would like to hear comments from others who have eaten there. Previously we have eaten at Gordan Ramsay's Restaurant, any comments about the difference between the two of them.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's anything like the original (which I kinda doubt for some reason), expect it to be very old-school, although I'm sure they've gone to totally ala carte. I sort of expect the Caesars version to have more of a contemporary feel to it.

The original is a true classic, but I have not dined at the one at Caesars yet.

3. MWJ51102

MWJ51102 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there a couple months ago. I had the 18 oz SIRLOIN STEAK AU POIVRE.
    ( I had to copy and paste that) The steak was awesome. In case you didn't know, (I didnt) au poivre means grab a shitload of pepper and coat the entire steak with it. And then grab some more and coat it again.

I also had the shrimp cocktail for $27. It was 3 shrimp. They were big, but not the biggest I've had.

Along with that I had 2 drinks off the drink menu at $15 each.

I didnt have any sides with my meal. I figured 18 oz of steak woukd be plenty.

My total was $130 before tip.

This was a great meal. I loved everything.

The service was great. My server could tell I hadn't seen the inside of many moderate or high end steak houses, so he talked me through the entrees. He asked a lot of questions about what I liked in a steak and then told me what to get. He was right.

Will return to old homestead in December when I'm back in town.

4. magic_man12

magic_man12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't a big fan personally. Posted earlier on another thread about it - The steak wasn't amazing (shared double porterhouse -> not saying it was bad, but a bit average to me), and they missed some basics like seasoning calamari. I won't be returning..

I used to work at a high-end steakhouse in Toronto as a cook, I usually know what I'm looking for, and didn't find it here unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at the ones in Manhattan & Atlantic City both many times and it's almost always been pretty good. They dry-age all their meat, which I prefer. The menu is relatively conservative - you're not going to find anything too cutting edge on the menu in terms of apps or sides - but what they do, they tend to do well.

Actually, though, my favorite thing about Old Homestead in general is their seafood - they always have the best, hugest shrimp, King crab legs, scallops, Lobsters, etc - so I would say at least half the time I eat at the one at the Borgata, I wind up getting one of the huge lobsters.

All that being said, haven't actually eaten at the Vegas outpost yet.

6. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was it Barberien's by any chance? LOVE that place!

7. magic_man12

magic_man12 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heh - not its wasn't, but they are very good!
    I worked at Harbour Sixty for close to a year.

8. Tellafriend

Tellafriend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hey - i've eaten there several

times and enjoyed every meal. The steaks are great as are their sides. Its a little crowded in there given how they seat folks, but other than that, and a little bit of a wait, its really good. On par with Prime and JG at Aria in my mind.

9. daywalker

daywalker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had the bone in filet mignon. I wasn't impressed at all. Sides were average too. My wife got the 12 oz burger, I had a taste of it and it was really sweet :vomit:.
    I know a lot of steak houses are overpriced but this place takes it to a new level IMO.

(For the record my favourites are Craftsteak & Jean Jorges). I'm not a fan of Cut.

10. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was very unimpressed with Old Homestead. Food is OK but very unadventurous menu, amateurish service, and sky high wine pricing in a town full of overpriced wine. Even worse, the entire place is open to the walkway, and now looks over the boarded up Nobu Hotel construction site. Although I am not a steakhouse person anyway, I would never return given better options in the neighborhood (and even under the same roof.)

11. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's disappointing to hear. While I agree the menu has always been staid & conservative "traditional steakhouse", I've still always enjoyed their other locations because of the dry-aged steaks, overall quality of the ingredients used & consistently good service. It's a shame that the Vegas location is apparently not living up to the high bar set by the original & AC locations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.