1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First ever venture to NYC

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasDiva, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from 5 nights in NYC .......Oct 4-9 .......was my first time ever there and I was WOWED, AMAZED, AWESTRUCK and want to go back

The trip participants consisted of myself (K), my sister (L) and her hubby (T) , their son (D) , my other sister (J) , who all converged on NYC , to watch my niece (KS) partake in a Talent Showcase , to wind up her yearend school.......She just spent a year in London UK , studying Theatre Arts and obtained her Masters degree. She had two talent showcases, one on Londons West End, and one on Broadway , in NYC .......attended by industry folk, such as producers, directors, casting agents, etc .
    All of the above but myself have been to NYC before .......I was the newbie

I am from Calgary , Alberta , Canada and now can sympathize with all you *East Coasters* who fly to Vegas.....what a long travel day it was .....flew out at 7am via WestJet , to Toronto (about a 3 3/4 hr flight) .....got in at 1245....met up with my sister (J) , whom informed me that our 230 flight was cancelled and we were now on a 530pm flight , arriving in NYC at 7pm, instead of 4pm! We landed at La Guardia ..... However, whilst I was up over the clouds at 39,000 ft.......our 230 flight was cancelled and I was rebooked for the next day, and J on the 530 flight....... after calling to WestJet , via my bro in law , T, he was able to hook J up in the convo, and the agent then managed to book us BOTH on the 530 flight .........I was oblivious and was NOT Told nor was anything announced when we landed in Toronto!
    went back to the check in desk , and got a new boarding pass, they had issued me on for Toronto to LGA....... and we got my suitcase, and headed thru customs.......and off to wait and have a bite to eat.... finally boarded the plane and I was on my way to NYC!! ..... landed and went n got our luggage ..... went to the taxi line (the official one) and had a cab to the hotel for a flat rate of $45.00 .....probably could get a shuttle bus for less but I was tired ..... having been up since 330am MDT and its now like 730pm EDT ...... got to the hotel no problem , checked in and up to the room ....Gorgeous room , stayed at the Millineum Broadway on W 44 st ...17th floor ...just steps away from Times Sq.....we had to share a King Size bed, no worries, not the first time I've shared a bed with my sis lol just its been about 45 yrs!! nice big bathroom, nice seating area with two leather chairs and a lamp... view wasn't all that great lol, but bathroom was nice n large, altho one sink ..... inroom safe in closet, and nice flat screen TV ...altho wasn't working (housekeeping called maintence the next AM and they were there in 5 mins to fix it)

Attached Files:

2. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AFter checking in we wandered around Times Sq , saw lots of Bright Lights (like Vegas) and lots of interesting characters , again like Vegas.(Elmo, Cookie Monster, SuperMario, Spiderman, to name a few) ... then headed to an Irish Pub...O' Donaghues for a drink n some food ....I had a crab cake sandwich and some JD and diet coke ....... then back to the hotel to wait for sister L and bro in law T to arrive, they were flying into Newark direct from Calgary its about a 5 hr flight....which was delayed in Calgary, but they finally arrived and we sat around all happy n giddy to be on vacation together once again as a family... finally crashed at 2am (or midnite *my*time) .......had been raining but cleared off overnight and we woke up to a sunny gorgeous day!

Friday Oct 5- Got up around 9am , and showered......my sis J and bro in law went for a walk , while other sis and I slept in , I went n got a starbucks coffee and a sandwich for breakfast , as it was next door to hotel on 45th St ...... busy street lol
    Sis and bro in law got back and they had walked up to Central Park, and we decided we would head up there , after meeting up with my niece and her friend .... at Times Sq... near the risers........some of us got interviewed on Fox 5 tv news lol about Staten Island . Met up with neices friend, and 4 of us headed to Central Park ....while my two sisters went shopping , Hey I can shop in Calgary , I wanna see that Park ! Saw Carnegie Hall :) and the Carnegie Deli on the way up there..... once we got to the park, T and I hired a pedicab driver named Ritchie , who was funny, informative and very cordial . Stopped at a couple places along the route, for photo ops and of course, Strawberry Fields....and the Imagine mosiac..and the Dakota building , Tavern on the Green, which I hadn't realized had shut down , ...cost was $35 for two hours , well worth it for a first timer! .....
    Met up with everyone at the Carnegie Deli for lunch .....Oh my gosh, such good food!! (haven't been to the Vegas one yet) and the cheesecake , oh my gosh lol yummy ......
    we 3 sisters then decided to walk back slowly , while bro in law and niece went back to hotel ..... we ended up getting a mani/pedi/pedi ....at a reasonable cost and very clean place , called Serenity Spa just south of Carnegie Deli ..... even got a bonus shoulder massage ahhhhhhhh I was so relaxed ....... While heading back to the hotel , we happened to stumble upon the Naked Cowboy! and yes, I got my pic taken with him lol ......had a nap after THAT lol then we went walking around and I had a slice of NY Pizza ......my first authentic slice! Walked by the Times Sq Red Lobster, in hopes of catching a glimpse of BeeJay working hard but to no avail!
    Headed back to the Hotel and stopped at a quaint bar called Jimmy's Corner, on W 44, across the street .......Run by Jimmy Glenn, who still hangs out there, He was a famous boxing trainor back in the day, and the walls are lined with vintage boxing memorablila and pictures......the Juke Box is priceless, an old Wurlitzer , stocked with heaps of old jazz, blues, R & B and the like...... cheap drinks too! Back to the hotel and called it a night about 1am

Attached Files:

3. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sat Oct 6

Woke up about 830......sis n bro in law went for their morning stroll again , and I showered n went for my coffee /brkfst at Starbucks..... walked around Times Sq myself for a bit , love it :) lots of eclectic stores, n sights
    Met up with sisters and bro in law and neice and her friend...... Bro in law , niece , her friend and I did the Circle Line 2 hr cruise on the Hudson/East Rivers ........Great tour, saw the Statue of Liberty ....Wow, she's a fine looking dame! ......and the view of the skyline is phenomenal , saw many landmarks ....Brooklyn Bridge, Staten Island Ferry, UN buildings, Battery Park, ..... felt kinda weird and melancholy when passing by the World Trade Centre site.... I really enjoyed it (oh got to see NJ too lol )
    Went to Guy Fieri's new diner.. food was awesome , had pulled pork sliders ..... price was reasonalble too .... hung out at Times Sq for a bit and did some shopping ......back to hotel for a nap ....
    Out for dinner at a Cuban restaurant on 46st was excellent and had live entertainment......my nephew flew in from Ontario for two nights to visit with us all ........ Night cap at an Irish Pub and in Bed by 12am

Attached Files:

4. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sunday Oct 7

Up again at 830, and hit the shower and then out for coffee lol (see a pattern here??) was a rainy day! I decided to take in the Gospel Brunch at BB Kings , featuring the Harlem Gospel Choir, went by myself as no one else in the party wanted to attend....... met up in line with some lovely folks from Eastern Canada, who invited me to sit with them ...... The show was awesome and the food fantastic ......the buffet consisted of mini bagels, biscuits n gravey, mashed potatoes, corn, beans, fried chiken, fried cat fish, peach cobbler, salads ..........the Harlem Gospel Choir was upbeat, lively and fun ..... I so enjoyed it ! was from 1230-3pm cost was about 45 bucks .... did some shopping on the way back to hotel , got my hubby some Yankees shirts from the Yankee clubhouse, and got my daughter some stuff too (no not from the Yankees Clubhouse lol ) and a few other trinkets
    Got back to the hotel and we all decided to head on the subway (my first ride) to the South St Seaport.......Loved the subway , was surreal as I had only seen it on TV and movies .......I felt like Patrick Swayze should pop thru the doors hehehe like in Ghost ..... got off at Fulton Street and headed toward Pier 17......caught a fireworks show, was awesome but LOUD rumbling against the tall buildings lol thought it was thunder at first, as it was raining ......ate at the Pacific Grill , great food .......hopped back on the subway and had a nightcap at Jimmy's corner ......back to the hotel and called my hubby, then off to bed ....

5. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OOPs these didn't post on previous post grrrrrrrrrr :grrr:

Attached Files:

6. DBear

DBear VIP Whale

Nice NYC TR! Can't wait for the rest. Funny, I just had a conversation with a friend tonight (who i havent seen in a year), who we had taken a trip in early 2001 to NYC. I didn't know they were rebuilding on the World Trade Center site and he told me all about the new building in the works. Good timing to see pictures of it!

7. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monday Oct 8- Canadian Thanksgiving

Lazy morning , went n got my coffee and found an internet kiosk, and checked FB and email...... back tothe hotel
    Headed out at 1115am to catch my niece in her Theatre Showcase, consisting of 26 performers ......was awesome......she had two more shows later that day , for the industry folk ....we got to view the dress rehearsal for family and friends of the performers..... Took her for lunch after and then parted ways until later that night ....... the rest of us headed to Little Italy ......via the subway .....was still mesmerized , as there is a whole other world down there lol saw a Barber shop, gift shops , lotsof people and noisy trains! ........got off at Canal Street and walked down Grand , to Mulberry street n stopped for late lunch/early supper.....at Il Palazzo , was most excellent ....I had the best ever Cannelonni .... followed by espresso and desserts ....Again, I felt like I was in a movie set, walking around Little Italy, the cool buildings with the fire escapes .. then headed back to hotel for a nap ....and off to the Jazz Club Birdland ...... was Jim Caruso's Cast Party/Open mic night .....
    Wow , such great performers......we talked my niece to singing a song from Anything Goes......Blow , Gabriel , Blow and she blew the socks off everyone (not to sound like the biased Auntie) but she did catch interest from a couple of industry folk.........one of the performers herself......came over and congratulated her - this lady is very well known in these Circles, as did a producer who asked for her CV ........ She was in awe ..... back to hotel by 2am and up by 7am- as leaving next morning awwwwwwwwwwww
    wandered down to Times Sq one last time......caught the Good Morning America crowd and yes , I waved as the camera panned over me lol ...Rob Lowe was on the set , cohosting, got a lovely pic of the back of his head lol ......
    Took a shuttle from the Port Authority back to LGA.... and got thru security no probs, then boarded the plane, but delayed on the tarmac as it was rush hour, we were 13th inline to take off .......landed in Toronto no prob, and gotthru customs.......said my goodbyes to my sister and heading to my gate to fly back to Calgary , got in about 530PM and home by 630 after getting luggageand my car from Park n Jet ..... I loved NYC and want to go back :) I just wish it wasn't such a LONG travel day ....Vegas is only about 2.5 hrs by air! no wonder I've been going there so often lol

Observations as a newbie

Busy Busy Busy city but very full of life and fun
    Lots of Horns honking lol
    Lots to do and see
    Excellent choices for Food and Entertainment and Tours
    Never did do the Empire State Building ........as rained last two days and didn't wanna see *clouds* heck I was in the clouds just being in NYC
    Was a great family trip ........was the first time I'd flown with my sister since 1975 , was long overdue for that and we plan to do it again!

Attached Files:

8. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you enjoyed the Circle Line Cruise.

I always recommend it as a good way to leisurely see a lot of the city in a few hours.

9. DuckyD77090

DuckyD77090 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Talk about homesick.. Ferrara's. I'm so jealous. You walked past.. Tell me you sat in for a cannoli. I may declare your trip null and void if you didn't! :)

Glad you enjoyed the Big Apple. Hopefully people were kind to you and not too short!

10. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I had the best ever canelloni at IL Palazzo excellent food
    Loved Little Italy ~ my husband is Italian and would have enjoyed it so much

11. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loved this tour :) was great for a first timer sorta to get the feel of the city and area :)

12. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    update

So my niece sings at Birdland on Oct 8~ garners some interest and is contacted by Natalie Douglas, who hangs out with her for a few hrs , last week.......invites her to another open mic session at a diff club Sunday Oct 14 , to sing and again back to Birdland on Oct 15 .. she excelled once again and had the pleasure of meeting with Liza Minelli :) and is back in London UK to finish up her program until the end of the yr but is seriously considering making NYC her home.......

I will be visiting again! I loved NYC and so much to explore still

AFter 8 trips to Vegas in 7 yrs , it was nice to try a new venue :)

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time you go, try the cheesecake at Juniors in Brooklyn. It's 2die4!

14. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh oh , even better cheesecake? I'll be in trouble hehe but thanks for the tip ....... never ventured outta Manhatten this trip but would like to take in the other boroughs Brooklyn and the Bronx

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uh-huh, it sure is! :)

Just looking at it will make you gain 10 lbs!

I'm a "Bwooklyn Goil" even though I've lost most of my accent. Juniors is a very quick ride out of Manhattan. Take almost any BMT train to DeKalb and you can't miss it. Lotsa old-school local ambiance there.

The best steak house in town is in Brooklyn, Peter Luger's, just over the Williamsburg Bridge. The food is incredibly tasty, but the steaks are prepared and served a bit differently than from the "usual suspect" steak houses so some are surprised or disappointed.

And, of course, Nathan's started in Brooklyn. :)

There are many many things to do and see in Brooklyn (and d'Bwonx too!) :)

16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bronx Zoo and gardens, it's worth the trip. Just don't jump off the monorail into the tiger exhibit.

17. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my favorite places to visit, but could never live there.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know why I'm laughing at that, it really isn't funny. The guy was majorly mauled. :(

Prospect Park (Brooklyn's "Central Park") has a nice zoo too. Just don't go jumping into the polar bear cage! :(

19. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to Nathan's on Coney today, had a burger, dont like their franks. Best time to go to Coney Island/Brighton Beach is after Sept10 when season is over and school starts.

To the OP, when you come to NYC next time, visit Atlantic City, see how it compares to Vegas. Last time I went to AC, 2 women from Nebraska were on the bus. It was their 1st time in NYC and AC. Take Greyhound instead of Academy from Port Authority.

20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, the tiger didn't break this knucklehead's ankle, pelvis, ribs, or collapse his lung. He sustained these injuries in the jump from the monorail so "he could be one with the tiger". This moron is lucky he's alive and deserves a Darwin Award.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.