1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

First ever trip report, Bally's 4/4-4/7

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by dbamberg, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbamberg

dbamberg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

So, a quick trip report, but please be easy on me as this is my very first one!

Saturday morning Apr. 4, on Southwest from Cleveland, we landed a full 30 minutes early and I resisted the urge to throw $20 in a slot at the airport, so I'm basically $20 ahead already! Got to Bally's for check-in around 10:30 in the morning. Thought about the $20 trick, but instead just chatted up the desk clerk. She was very friendly, and when we said we'd stayed at other Harrah's properties before but never at Bally, and politely asked if there were any complimentary upgrades available, she typed for a minute, then said she could move us to a renovated room in the North tower at no charge, and threw in a few hand written coupons for some bloody marys or mimossas. She was very accommodating so we gave her a nice tip for her generosity.

Decided to play a little before heading out for lunch, broke even on slots and a little blackjack. Headed out for some walking and lunch. Ended up at Tamba, the Indian place by the Hawaiin mall for their lunch buffet. Very pleasantly surprised. If you like Indian, give it a shot. We wind up walking all the way down to the Excalibur and checking out the electronic poker tables to see what all the fuss is about. The tables were ok, just reminded me of playing online. I still like to have the feel of the cards and chips in my hand though. The highlight of the session though had to be one of the employees in the room, Rosie. She was a total trip and well wroth every minute we spent there. She was funny, friendly and when someone at the table complained about needing a drink, she got the waitress there in a hurry.

Not much else of note for Saturday. We wimped out and got to bed way to early (for us, 12-1 am is early), but that helped get us up and out before 8. Headed to Ellis Island to use our ACG coupons. Always a good time there. We had a good breakfast, and an even greater blackjack session. I hate the short little craps table they have though. After that, we walked the strip a little, and found ourselves way back down at the MGM to see if we could see any stars hanging out for the country awards show later that night. Walking through, we had hadn't planned on it, but decided to be one of the suckers doing the CBS studio screening thing. The show, Road Rage, where teams go head-to-head in obstacle courses and demolition derbys, wasn't that great, but it was interesting to see the process. However, we got a nice surprise. Since the ACMA's were being held that night, shockingly televised on CBS no less, they were putting everyone in a drawing for 2 tickets. We didn't win those, but not to worry. They had another prize, a pair of tickets to the Artist of the Decade concert the next night honoring George Strait. Well, again, we get no love and don't win the tickets. The teenage kid that did though didn't look too thrilled. We decide to take a chance and offer the family of 4, now holding only 2 tickets to a concert they don't look like they wanna see anyway, $50 for the pair. The dad is kinda thinking he's not wanting to do it when the mom speaks up and says "oh just take the money already, they look like they really wanna go and we can't." Dad caves, and we get $400 worth of tickets to a soon-to-be-televised on May 27th All-Star concert for 50-frickin' dollars!! Totally made sitting through that awful Road Rage show worth it.

Nothing else I write about Sunday can top that, but I had a fairly good poker session at the Flamingo that paid for our concert tickets 4 times over. I know some people don't like the room, but the dealers are always friendly, with one or 2 exceptions and the drink service is good. Seemed like a very loose game and all I had to do was sit back and wait for my spot knowing some guy from Sheboygan would call with bottom pair to my straight or some other similar situation. Either the players that night were really bad, I got really lucky, or I'm finally starting to be able to read people a little better at the poker table. My guess is I just got really lucky, I'm man enough to admit it!

Before heading to bed that night, I sat down at one of the often talked about Star Trek slots and popped in $50. I know people are saying these machines are great, but I gotta say, I wasn't that thrilled with it. For example, one of the bonus rounds, I actually ended up **losing** money. I was playing 2 credits per line plus the cost of the bonus. When the bonus round finished, I'd broken even for that spin on the 2 credits per line, and lost the extra spent on the bonus. First time ever I'd gotten a bonus and didn't win back at least as much as I had spent that spin.

So, Monday rolls around and ended up being not much different than Sunday. We walked, randomly gambled along the strip, had pizza for lunch at NY NY, played some craps and blackjack at Excalibur. The craps tables this trip were not very kind, but since the blackjack tables were, it was a break even trip for table games, down for slots, and up for poker. The George Strait concert was one of the most entertaining I'd ever been to, but when you get to see a dozen stars all on the same stage, I guess it'd be hard to say it was bad. Decided to head back to Flamingo poker room since we had good luck the night before, and found the tables to be just as loose and while I didn't make as much as the night before, I still ended up making a nice little chunk. After that, had the late night steak and eggs special at Bills. Not bad for $5.50, but about the quality you'd expect for that price too.

And thats that. Caught our flight out back to Cleveland about 9 am on Southwest, again on time and hassle free. Next up for me will be our trip in October, 4-9. I hope it's as successful as this one was.

2. Bosco

Bosco VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report! Might have to try those Flamingo poker tables in June, since we're staying there.

3. Echo27

Echo27 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, dbamberg...Glad you had a good trip. What a good score with those tickets! By the way, how was staying at Bally's? I will be there soon and heard that things were going downhill. I've been hoping it's not the case!

4. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the write up. Getting those tickets definitely counts as a win if that's your thing!

I didn't like the Star Trek game at all. I thought it was boring!

5. dbamberg

dbamberg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll have to take this with a grain of salt since we usually stay at the IP, but we really enjoyed staying at Bally's based on the room. We didn't gamble there much, but the room was very nice, especially compared to the Motel 8 type room we're used to over at the IP (we usually take the attitude of "we're only in the room for 4-5 hours/day," so we factor in location/price and the IP is great for both of those, but had comped room this time at Bally's.) It was a bit larger, and since we got moved to a renovated room, seemed a lot nice than the IP's "deluxe" room. We had no problems with check in or check out due to the time of day, but we did see one really long check in line around 4 on Monday. The few games we did play there, the drink service was a little slow, but not horribly so. Didn't eat there, so can't help on that front. Hope you have a nice trip, and good luck

6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A great win on the tickets!!! With my countdown on, I really enjoy reading all the new trip reports.....keeps me going until we arrive!:eek:

7. texas_aggie_girl_93

texas_aggie_girl_93 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great write up. Cool score on the tickets! Thanks for posting.

8. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR. Thanks for posting.

later, GVJ

9. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good job on your first TR!

And congrats on scoring those tickets!

10. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad I am not the only one who cannot win on those Star Trek slots. I think I ran $60 - $80 thru and never even hit one bonus. I'm avoiding them like the plague next trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.