1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Financial planning after I'm dead

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read an article about what happens when the spouse (me) who handles all the financial decisions suddenly dies.

So we are that point that my wife has every log in and password for every account. She knows where the cash is and the checkbooks to get immediate cash.

All our assets are in a trust.

I have handled the taxes for the 32 years we have been married. How do you go about finding a trusted tax adviser? I've always done them myself.

We have Wills, DNRs, power of attorney and health care statements.

What other things should I be considering to get her info on? No kids.

I am just trying to make sure she has all necessary information if something would happen to me. Don't worry, I plan on at least a couple of decades or more of Vegas visits. The doctor didn't tell me to get my affairs in order.:evillaugh:evillaugh

I know VMB probably isn't the place to be asking, but what the hell, we run the gamut here from some very wealthy to just working stiffs, so just looking for ideas on things I might have overlooked.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I will send you a PM

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got it BJ, thanks! :thumbsup:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have a link to that article? My friends parents are in their 70's and not in the greatest of health.
    She's been pushing them to get their affairs in order. If there's a link out there I'd appreciate it.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's from Vanguard and of course they are saying they can help with the transition, but it still motivated me to provide my wife with a few details I missed when I sent her all the info the first time around.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/article/spouse-manage-portfolio-082013?opentranscript=true

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, I haven't done a good job of this. I handle everything and my wife knows almost nothing about where anything is or what to do if something happened to me. I have thought about it, but just haven't put anything in place. it's likely it won't be an issue for a long time, but I really should get things together just in case.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It took me years to get my wife to finally go and have Wills and the Trust drawn up. She just doesn't want to deal with these kind of things.

To force myself to get her all the info she would need, I keep telling myself, what if I died suddenly tomorrow. She may not like it, but at least the info is on her hard drive for reference. And man, there sure is a lot of stuff to consider.

It's a weekly routine for me just to check accounts, credit card charges, auto-pays etc, but for someone who has no interest in dealing with any of this, it could be a disaster w/o the info to at least begin to know where to start.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going through this with my parents right now. She's 70, he's 77 and she hasn't done the banking for about 50 yrs. I'm trying to teach her to manage their money now that dad's health is failing.

Good for you for taking care of it before it's too late.

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We sort of know the basics for each other (though every week my husband calls to me from the other room "honey, what's my banking password" :evillaugh) He has gone through the wills & trusts & family corporations with his parents and we talk about doing our own, just to get started with something basic. It's crucial. Thanks for bringing up the topic!

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our joke is, you never know when you might get hit by a bus. :poke:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  11. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello Joe

I recently had a dream that I got hit by a big long-haul MACK TRUCK!

I always joke that my adult son and his wife and my adult grand-kids threw me
    under the bus and the bus had snow tires. The reason I say that is because they
    never return my calls or e-mails. They never visit me and that has been going on
    for years now. My daughter-in-law doesn't like me. She doesn't like her own mother. I recently decided to make a will with my two favorite nieces are on my inheritance
    list. My favorite niece will make sure that I am well taken care of in my future.
    I don't plan to leave my adult son nothing since he has chosen to be mean like his wife towards me. All he has to do is to come back into my life and I will include him
    on my WILL. "I will then ask him "who are you"? lol.

I have been feeling a lot better since I made my WILL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.