1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Finally! Alamo just dropped the price of my rental.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Kcitsme, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once I knew I was going to Vegas, I began the daily hunt for a decent rental car deal. Tonight, after many weeks of searching, I got a rate I can live with. I rented a full sized vehicle for 7 days and with all taxes, the grand total is $150. I had been holding and changing reservations for weeks and there was not much movement until tonight. Up until now the price was $200 plus. I intend to keep checking daily until I leave but right now I am happy.

2. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    direct from alamo?

i use costco for my rentals and get good deals, but i can't get a full size for five nights for less than $140. and that's from budget.

3. WWGB

WWGB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip! Alamo prices looked much better tonight for my December trip, so I finally booked the car. Of course, I'll keep watching for better deals, too!

4. Famgel

Famgel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also usu Costco seems to have the best rates lucked out recently got full size for $200 thru Budget next day it was back up to $300 for a week! You have to check everyday and sign up for emails from Costco.

5. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i have been checking a few times a day most days. but i'm unfamiliar with the emails you speak of.

i have a full size for five days for $141 from budget. that's higher per day than i have paid the past two years. not the end of the world, but i'm use to less than $25 day including tax. i used alamo last time, for the first time, and i liked alamo better, so i'm hoping their prices miraculously drop down to something near what budget offered me a couple of weeks ago. (i haven't seen $141 for more than a week now, and budget temporarily spiked sky high for a period of days.)

6. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just booked my car rental through Chase bank using credit card points. It got me a compact for 4 days for 8900 points ($89) and says it includes taxes and fees. I've never used this method before, but it was like $40 cheaper than any other rate I saw. Hopefully it all pans out well.

7. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    since my last costco check late last night, alamo has now dropped this morning to near budget's best levels, and even cheaper on economy cars. for a full size, i just got it for $146. again, more than i'm use to paying per day, but that's been the story of my fall 2013 trip quotes for weeks now. the alamo rate is $5 higher than the best rate budget offered me more than a week ago, but i like alamo better, so it's worth the $5.

8. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I checked Alamo again today and the full sized car with all taxes jumped back up to $212.00. Prices are changing quickly. This was only about 12 hours later. I am glad I rebooked for $150 total last night. I do check various sites for better pricing but this time Alamo's site was the best. I will keep checking until the day I leave for Vegas. The biggest problem I see with all rental cars these days is the taxes. They have so many taxes that it cost almost as much in taxes for a week as it does for the car.
    Clown, I agree with you. If the price of the rental is reasonably close, I pick Alamo. I am an Alamo Insider member so when I get to the rental plaza, I just walk out to where the vehicles are parked, pick my car from the designated area, drive to the gate, and check out. No waiting in lines, no Kiosks, just pick up and go.

9. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'm still amazed at your rate. that's the kind of rate i'm use to paying. i never book a car for 7 nights, but i typically end up with a rate of less than $25/night. not this time, but $29 a night ain't bad. i'm picking up a car on a sunday afternoon and returning it on a friday. i'd think that would net me a great rate, but for whatever reason, not this time. i signed up for alamo insider a while ago. i'll have to find my membership card. if that saves me a kiosk trip, all the better.

10. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are a member of Costco use Costco's Contract ID 7014627 and Alamo has a discount code (no coupon necessary) for a free day AF4469SDU (weekly rental) this may reduce the cost of the car at Alamo. Another Alamo code is AD2893AND this takes $25 off a rental of $175 or more.
    Good Luck!

11. Kcitsme

Kcitsme Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are a member of Costco use Costco's Contract ID 7014627 and Alamo has a discount code (no coupon necessary) for a free day AF4469SDU (weekly rental) this may reduce the cost of the car at Alamo. Another Alamo code is AD2893AND this takes $25 off a rental of $175 or more.
    Good Luck!

12. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    two weeks before departure and i finally got a rate of less than $25/day. alamo's rates slowly worked their way down, then on sunday night enterprise did something i never see them do in vegas, undercut both budget and alamo. full size for five days was $117 via enterprise (through costco).

i used costco in dallas this past summer, as it was the best deal downtown, but i'd rather go with alamo in vegas only because i know what to expect, and that's worth $6 to me. alamo's rate dropped a few times this past week, and thanks to enterprise last night, their rate dropped to $123, so i took that. this morning the rates are back up and the same full size via alamo is $167, and enterprise is back to $170.

i'm not sure i have ever rebooked my rental car this many times, and i wouldn't be opposed to doing it again.

13. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm....is $138 a good price for 5 days? (Alamo)

nvm, I guess not....

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I booked using the Costco and free day codes.

$138 (including taxes and fees) until I find better for 5 days.

$21.35 per day (excluding taxes) for a full-size vehicle.

15. ClownHo

ClownHo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my experience (YMMV, obviously) is that you can get a car for $25/day or less, for the most part, in vegas. sometimes you can only get the intermediate size, but i can often find full size for $25/day, including taxes. it wasn't looking like i would be able to get a car under $30/day until recently, and that opportunity was short lived, but i nabbed it. i check prices 3-4 times a day if i can. had i not looked last night, i'd never have known that the price dropped to $123.

16. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So glad I saw this, as it reminded me to check rates again and yep, they had dropped!! It's down to $86 for a 3 day rental... I'm expecting it to drop again, but for the time being it's booked; Alamo on Costco's site.

17. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I'll keep checking. I'm at about $28 a day including taxes.

Costco's website has a worse rate than if I book on Alamo's site with a Costco code.

18. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a reason why my $138 full-size (base price $106.77) when upgrading to a full-size elite at $106.77 ends up being $166?

Also, it says add an additional driver for $0.00 a day then....it adds $50. What the hell?

19. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been looking for 3 weeks now and I thought I would end up with the Enterprise $9.99 special and forget about the other 3 1/2 days but I found a $121 rate at budget through costco and then I took the costco code and the discount code directly to the budget website and prepaid the reservation for a total price of $87.75 for 6 days 7 hours for a compact car.

Pay Now Rate
    discount code W852802
    Costco Online
    MUGZ044 35USD Off Weekly Rental/Paperless Coupon

I prepaid for this because the chance of beating this rate was very low indeed.

pick-up
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tue, Nov 12, 2013 04:30 PM
    LAS VEGAS, NV APO, LAS VEGAS - LAS
    location hours Sun - Sat open 24 hrs
    phone 702-736-1212

drop-off
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mon, Nov 18, 2013 11:30 PM
    LAS VEGAS, NV APO, LAS VEGAS - LAS

car
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    compact 2- or 4-door
    automatic
    air conditioned
    car class
    B
    FORD FIESTA SEDAN

my prepaid rate
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    car 76.36
    taxes and fees
    concession recovery 4.84

county surcharge 2.00% 0.82

vehicle license 1.00/day 7.00

STATE SURCHARGE 10.00% 4.13

customer facility 3.75/day 26.25

taxes 3.35

coupon discount -35.00
    MUGZ044 -35.00
    TOTAL USD $ : 87.75
    payment USD $: (87.75)
    BALANCE USD $: 0.00

rate rules
    -----------------
    6 days 7 hours rental
    unlimited free miles

Four Queens 7 Nights at $25 Per Night Including Friday And Saturday
  20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow with that code, I can get a full size for about $17 less but I'm going to pass cuz I like the fact I can just go straight to my car and out of the lot (and don't have to prepay).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.