1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Filling a prescription

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LadyShaye, Sep 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know there is a walgreens on the strip and downtown...I will be needing to refill a controlled substance script while I am there... has anyone had to do this? Will I have a harder time because it will be from my out of state doctor? Does it take a long time or will they fill it while I wait?

2. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you drop your prescription off at your local walgreens so that its still in "in state" and then just get it filled once you're in Vegas? I've done this before with medicines (but I don't think they were controlled substances) and they always acted like it was no big deal because it was already in the system.

3. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A controlled precrip. has a small window of a few days to be filled. She must be in Vegas during that time period. My son was on Ritilan and had to be filled on a certain date, not before or after.

4. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as you have the script and the dr is "on file" with the store, you should be ok. Walgreens/CVS should have the Dr on file.

We have had this come up before, and walgreens can't transfer the "really controlled" substances (no refills) between stores. Or at least that was what we were told.

Holiday Gift Shoppe
  5. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may want to contact your regular pharmacy and see if they can give you more info in regards to getting the prescription filled/forwarded to one of the Vegas locations. There may be more of a chance that the Vegas locations do not carry certain drugs or only have limited quantities in the tourist stores for safety reasons. Doing so would give them a heads up to have the product on hand to fill the order.

6. grosx2

grosx2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^This. When dealing with something as important as prescription medication, I would rely on my doctor and pharmacist for answers, not members of an online message board.

7. Warmgingerale

Warmgingerale Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a pharmacy tech and every state has different laws. If you leave it on hold with your local pharmacy, it won't look as shady rather than you just coming in with a control script from out of state. Also, in different states controls have a specific expiration date so just make sure it's not too old by the time you fill in vegas.

8. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have an existing prescription that you need refilled while on vacation, is it possibile to have it refilled at home before you leave? Talk to your local pharmacist about an early refill. Some insurance companies will pay for the early refill up to 14 days before you should be completely out. If the current Rx was filled at a Walgreens and you go to the Walgreens in Vegas, bring your prescription bottle with you to the pharmacy. Talk directly to the pharmacist explaining that you need to refill your prescription from another Walgreen pharmacy. The Walgreen pharmacist should be able to obtain the prescription info from the other Walgreens database. Remember that controlled substances can only be refilled up to 5 times within a 6 month period (physician may authorize less refills). Once you transfer the prescription you will not be able to transfer it back to your local pharmacy once you get home. Prescriptions for controlled substances can only be transfered from one pharmacy to another one time only...they can't transfer it back. If you have a prescription insurance card, be sure and bring it with you...."Don't tell the pharmacist. " I have Blue Cross" and expect him to be able to file a claim....you know how many different prescription insurance plans are out there???

If you had your prescription filled at another pharmacy other than Walgreens, then it's going to be a lot more work for the pharmacist...no, all pharmacy are not electronically "linked" to one another. The pharmacist will have to call your local pharmacy, and talk to the pharmacist to transfer the prescription. This is why you should bring your prescription bottle with you...it will have the information that the pharmacist will need.. Pharmacy telephone # and address, Rx number, etc. This can be a long and tedious process..don't expect the pharmacist to drop everything to make a 10 minute phone call, load your personal information and insurance info into their data base, fill and double check the prescription and have it ready to go in 5 minutes while you wait. The pharmacist CANNOT just fill the presciption using the info off of the prescription bottle; they will have to contact the other pharmacy and talk to a pharmacist.

If it is for a schedule II controlled substance (Percocet, Adderall, etc), you will need a new prescription from your doctor. He cannot fax, or call the pharmacy in Vegas to give the prescriptioin over the phone...ONLY the original signed prescription will do.

Not knowing the specifics, I am giving you some GENERAL advice. Talk to your local pharmacist about your situation; he may be able to provide you with some more specific guidelines/options. Things may go smoothly out in Vegas, or the pharmacist may have to contact your doctor, which could take some time. No, he's not going to think you are an abuser, but he/she has state and federal guidelines that he/she as to follow...no prescription is worth getting fined by the State Board of Pharmacy for not following the proper procedures...the Board does inspect their pharmacy prescription records from time to time.

I hope you have a fun and pleasant trip....by the way, I'm a pharmacist registered in 3 different states in the midwest with 39 years of experience. Pharmacy laws differ from state to state so I cannot say with absolute certainty what the pharmacist out in Vegas will require. I will say with absolute certainty that if you stroll into the pharmacy and say you want to refill your prescription and don't have the current prescription bottle from the other pharmacy, or the phone number of the other pharmacy and prescription number at least....bring a snickers bar with you....it will take awhile.

Winter break
  9. bubbamsu

bubbamsu Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At a big chain pharmacy you should not have a problem at all, especially if this is a refill. Rarely do I ever hear back from patients that a prescription was denied because they were from out of state. I just tell my patients that if the pharmacy has a problem, just have them call me and either myself or one of my staff will confirm the rx. I have done this for controlled drugs. I.e. painkillers, antibiotics, xantax, etc... many times over the years and can only think of 1 or 2 situations that I had to get a little testy with the pharmacist.

However, I can't do this for certain drugs like Percocet/Percodan because of the hassle with prescription pads, but these are always filled prior and I will guess that this is not what you are talking about.

10. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all for your responses.

Obviously I did not come to the message board for advice I should get from my physician. I thought perhaps, someone with more frequent Vegas visits than I, would be familiar with this scenario and could give me an idea on whether or not it was worth wasting time trying to fill this or not.

11. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a pharmacist also, what whitejacket said is spot on. The DEA is making all pharmacies be very careful in filling controlled drug prescriptions. Much more than say 3 or 4 years ago due to all the 'pill mills' popping up around the country. Walgreens just paid an $80 million dollar fine for indiscriminately filling controlled prescriptions. So because of this, all controlled rxs are going to get extra scrutiny especially a transfer or even new rx from out of state. It would be easier to either get a slightly early refill if allowed or try to stretch out till you get back.

First Trip 2017
  12. LadyShaye

LadyShaye Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah - thanks...this is what I was afraid of. He was going to try and date this month and next month different but it wouldn't work out due to the restrictions.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.