1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fancy foodie home cook equipment question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LolaDoggie, Feb 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have started eating spaghetti squash as a staple food. I cook at least one per week and keep the innards in the fridge. It's an awesome replacement for carbs. Easy to digest, cheap and easy. My husband will even eat it if it's mixed in with other stuff. Just love this stuff. Can't believe I didn't start eating it sooner.

Anyhow, the only thing I don't like is the scraping of the innards after cooking. I feel like I'm doing it wrong. I've tried different methods and different tools. But, I'm wondering if there isn't an easier or more effective way of doing it. I'm wondering about a bigger serrated spoon. I'm seeing fruit spoons and grapefruit spoons but I'm not seeing anything bigger. I don't even know what it would be called to do a proper google search.

Any of you fancy foodie types have an idea what I'm talking about?

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't heard of a spoon or anything like that. I recall seeing different tips to scoop easier but nothing that required special equipment. I would try googling for techniques instead of equipment.

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use 2 big serving forks to do the raking motion, one holding it steady, the other raking. And then I go back with a wide serving spoon to scoop the rest out. I've wondered if I couldn't do a better job if that wide spoon was serrated. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

5. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use a standard table fork. It keeps the squash pieces "spaghetti-sized".

6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe I'm raking in the wrong direction. I'm going lengthwise, across the grain.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really dislike spaghetti squash, despite loving most vegetables (including many other varieties of squash). I blame my mother, who cooked it (perhaps not very well?) during my childhood.

When I do cook it, I tend to slice in half and use a grapefruit spoon to remove seeds, then place upside down on a jelly roll pan with a little water and roast in the oven. When I take it out, I'll either scoop with the grapefruit spoon or "peel" the outer layer with a paring knife. If it's been cooked long enough, the insides really come apart on their own....

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Upside down....of course. I've been doing that part wrong. I'm going to try it your way next time.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Santa Claus put an avocado "knife" in my stocking, a somewhat flexible pear-shared device with wires. The idea is it separates the meat and skin and gives you nice little slices (get that pit out first). I would expect somewhere out there there's a similar device for squash. But as with so many "handy" devices, after one try it was washed and went in the Goodwill bag because the oldfangled way was faster and easier and it means there is one less bit of clutter in one of the drawers.

10. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I tried one of those avocado thingies as well. No bueno over here either.

Am I supposed to go with or against the grain?

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go with the grain. Perhaps I just overcook mine because seriously - it just falls apart when I take it out of the oven. I really don't have to worry too much about cutting, forking, scraping etc.....

I find the avocado thing useless. I have a mango corer too, that's moderately better IF you have a symmetrical mango ;-) I love this kitchen hack I saw on the Today show - haven't tried it at home yet though..... http://www.today.com/food/absolute-best-easiest-way-peel-mango-2D80176770

12. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always used a fork to make the spaghetti-like strands.

I push the fork in about 1/4 inch deep and rake across the length of the cooked squash.
    Yummy stuff in Italian recipes, especially.

13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did what Hoya suggested and flipped them upside down. Worked out awesome, but, not the "peeling" she was talking about. I also went with the grain and it had pretty much the same results. But, I like the upside down. No burning on the bottom. Good tip.

There's a lot of really good food hacks out there. I love shortcuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.