1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Facebook for dummies - me?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by JosieCat, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It seems like sometimes when I post comments, they don't show up. I am trying to post on the MLife board, and it shows up when I'm logged in, but it doesn't show up to others.

Duh! What am I doing wrong. And no, I don't thing I've pi$$ed them off enough so they have blocked my posts :)

JosieCat

2. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, I am looking at the Facebook page for MLife right now. what post should I see?

FB made lots of changes recently to Organizations pages, some we like, some we don't. I run 2 FB pages for my libraries so work with it quite a bit, glad to help out.

3. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will bet you are Cat Casey and I can see your response to Christina Martin's post.

4. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are so clever. But I also had Cat post this little poem - I bet you don't see that.

I’m a compaholic – this is so.
    I love the offers, it’s why I go.
    So don’t make me wait, don’t be a tease.
    Post the summer corporate offers, please.

It seems to work when I reply to someone else's post - but not creating a new post.

5. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, that post, I don't see. Post it again on MLife and I will be watching to see if it posts. It could be someone doesn't like the post and they are deleting it manually. Although I don't know why, it is a clever post.

6. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually posted it twice now, once under cat and once under my "other" user name (Cat's my alias - damn, my secret's out). It's not that it's appearing and then disappearing. It never appears. I immediately log in on my ipad with the other user name and can't see it - ever. So I think it's something in my setup - or security or something.

7. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What settings do you have on who gets to see your posts?

8. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you want to test whether it is all your posts that have limited visibility or if MLife has truly blocked you, trying posting something on my org's page, https://www.facebook.com/clicweb (be nice, lol) and I will check to see if I can see it. Good test since we aren't friends on FB so that should tell us if you need to tweak that setting.

9. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did I mention that I was a facebook dummy. I only created an account to do Vegas stuff and I don't really know how to do anything else (and apparently not even that very well). Help!

10. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, under privacy, my default privacy is set to friends. Is that maybe the problem. Do I have to change that to public.

11. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only do basic stuff on FB....In the upper right, to the right of "Home" in the menu bar, there's a down arrow - that's a drop down list of settings. You want to look at Privacy settings.

You can also look when you're posting something new - in the bottom right of the dialog box, you'll see who can see that post (my default is "Friends") Ooops, but I think this is only when you post something on your wall, not when you comment on someone else's post..... (see - I only do basic stuff:eek:)

12. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So mine is set to friends too but my posts are still public if I comment on a public page - like Mlife. And seeing one post but not the other doesn't explain this discrepancy.....

13. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most likely, depending on where you are looking that setting is default for setting for things to your timeline, not someone elses. FYI, I just posted to M Life, no problems.

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have a timeline yet:evillaugh

15. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, my settings are the same Hoya, could be a glitch (wouldn't be first time) or they might have blocked by accident. But Josie, that is why I suggested posting on my org's page as a test. If you can post on my page, tells us it is something with MLife, if you cannot post on my page, tells me it is something with your settings. Oh, by the way, you have liked the MLife page? Because usually, you cannot post without first liking a page.

16. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I missed this post the first time. The account I test posted is set to "friends" where the Cat user is "public". Do you see a strange post about bears?

17. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, don't see any posts at all. Hmmmm

18. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I appreciate your help. I'll just keep messing around with the security settings as it's obviously on my end. And remember:

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy - was he.

That's what I posted to your facebook page if it ever shows up :)

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.