1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Express Comps, Charges and Tax

Discussion in 'Comps' started by nostresshere, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never paid much attention, and think I know the answer, but not sure.

If I buy show tickets and charge to my room, and later use EC to pay for them, will the tax be

a) taken off totally
    b) paid by Express Comps
    c) Paid my me in cash or credit card

And, on a related transaction, if I use my Express Comps/Mlife Card at the point of sale, will there be
    a) a Tax charge, covered by EC
    b) a tac charge, not covered by EC
    c) Tax not charged?

Any difference of food, drinks, spa?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there's no sales tax on food/drinks/spa so that's a moot point. as far as show tickets, they don't have straightforward sales tax, but all of these different fees like LET and stuff that are included in the face value of the ticket. so I would assume that you would pay the face value with your ECs.

3. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you charge show tix to your room, like shifter said, the full face price of the ticket (includes taxes & fees) goes to you hotel folio, so you just apply whatever amount of ECs you want to use. Same thing with anything else you charge to your room (gift shop, meals at restaurants, room service).

When using EC's to pay at a restaurant or bar, I've always been able to pay the entire bill with EC's including sales tax & tip. Never used EC's to pay for show tix at point of purchase.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tip? Really?

I have always been told you can NOT use Express Comps for tips.

5. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tips cannot be paid for by ECs as they are not a cost of the business. I usually pay them in cash so I don't have any charges at check out and it is more advantageous to the server as they are not recorded for taxes on their pay check.

I recently purchased additional tickets to go with my comp as there are 4 of us. I was not charged taxes but a bunch of BS fees.

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate at Stack at Mirage in February and paid the whole bill, including tip, at the table using ECs.

Used CET RCs at a restaurant and one of the bars at Caesars to pay the whole bill, including tips.

Maybe there's a diff when you charge to your room, and I just didn't notice.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    are you sure you didn't just stiff the waiter?

8. Gregsmt

Gregsmt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any merchandise that you use express comps on will not be charged sales tax.. At least in Mississippi and I would assume vegas if they let you use EC's there to buy logo'ed stuff. Any tips for meal charged to my room has always been put on my credit card at the end

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the same thing at Craftsteak a year or two ago...as soon as I got home I realized the waiter probably got screwed (and it was not a cheap meal...wagyu tasting x 3). I hope that's not the case - I asked him twice if I could use EC for grat and he assured me I could. I assume he was mistaken. But I'd be very happy to find out he wasn't.

Number 50!
  10. KingBBInLV

KingBBInLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The LET charge on show tickets in Vegas is 10% of the ticket price and then on top of that there is a service charge. So if tickets to LOVE are $150, the LET charge is $15 on top of that price. If you pay for ANY amount of the purchase price of the tickets with express comps at the box office, concierge etc they are supposed to take off the LET and the service charge. A lot of the ticket clerks and concierges are not aware of that, just tell them to call a supervisor if they refuse to take it off.

Also, you can not pay a tip on a restaurant bill in ANY MGM Resort with your express comps, if a waiter told you that you could do that he is wrong. The reason why you can't pay the tip with EC's is let's say I have $1000 in EC's. If my bill is $200 and I leave the other $800 as a tip to the waiter you really think MGM Resorts is gonna pay that $800 out of their pocket, in cash to the waiter? Another thing to note, if you are using express comps to pay your restaurant bill the tax is supposed to be taken off too.

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm. Far as I remember, when the meal was done, I said I was going to pay with ECs and they brought me a normal bill, I wrote in the tip, and that was that.

I see King's point about how you could conceivably leave a huge tip and work a kickback with a waiter to allow you to convert ECs to cash.

Now you guys have me think I'm misremembering. :eek:

As far as the tax portion on meals, there was a NV ruling a last year that said restaurants had to remit tax on comped customer and free employee meals. I can see why they wouldn't want to let you use ECs to pay that (no profit margin for them), but as I said, when I paid a few bills via ECs or RCs at point of sale last trip, I'm pretty sure the sales tax was on the bill.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.