1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Experiences building a custom home?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After years of searching for the perfect existing home in the perfect location, we gave up. We bought a lot and we have been working on the plans with a builder. We have tweaked the plans for the last several weeks and construction is to start in a week.

I have always been a home, do-it-yourselfer, and remodeled all the previous homes we have had. But some physical limitations prevent me from doing that going forward. So, the best option seemed to build.

I've heard plenty of horror stories regarding building, plus a few with good results. We have always bought existing homes, 9 so far, but after owning that many homes we had very specific ideas of what we really wanted in a home and haven't found it.

I've contacted the BBB about the builder and contacted the owners of the last five homes he built. All of them were very positive about their experiences with this particular builder.

It's not a mansion. 3br, 2.5 bath with a sunroom and office on the first floor and a 3 car garage. About 2,300 sq ft. on the main level. Unfinished basement, but plumbed for another full bath for future.

OK, I'm ready to lose sleep at night. Go ahead with you horror stories and hopefully there will be some good stories also.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friends of mine built a custom house. Problems they encountered were: building permits, getting the plans approved and the builder not knowing the requirements of their specific town. Getting the house oriented on the property the way they wanted. The builders poured the foundation at 180° to what is was supposed to be. The house came in 12 months behind schedule. A water pipe broke in the wall as it was not insulated properly.

It's a beautiful house and they like it a lot.

I understand what you mean buy not finding a house you like. My house is beautiful but too large for my wife and me; we'd love to downsize but the smaller houses do not have the "luxury" features we got used to.

3. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No horror stories here...when you build you get exactly what you want. The only caution is rememberng all the additional costs for finishing driveway, fencing, landscaping, window treatments, sprinkler systems, appliances etc. Those after the build items add up, but again, you get the design and finishings you want. Our current home is a new build and our final home will be as well.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  4. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does this lot have all the utilities at the curb? Electric, gas, water, sewer, cable, telephone?

5. RichL58

RichL58 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Build my own house 25 years ago, and the biggest pain was getting the permits. Took over 3 months to get them, had the house up and moved in only 2-1/2 months after getting them.
    Once the house starts going up, you probably will still be changing stuff.

Good Luck!!!

6. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll learn so much on the first custom home. I think the best advice I'll give is getting a primary contractor you know and trust. If not, you'll be tempted to jump in and micromanage things - which will drive you, and the contractor, crazy.

Bill

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, in the city. All utilities available. My wife has sworn off living in the country like we currently do. She wants walkable!!

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,
    How long have you been in your current house? Seems like you just moved.
    Tye

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We built our house. Literally. We bought the land (7 acres in the country) before we got married and then designed the house & did blueprints the first year of our marriage. Yes, took us a year. It was better than any kind of couples therapy to work together to come up with a compromise. My husband was the general contractor and did 75% of the work himself. Alone, himself, and it took a year (we broke ground Nov 2001 and moved in Dec 2002). But .a decade on living here, we've made some upgrades (things that we left cheaper due to budget, knowing they'd be upgraded and/or finished later) but we still LOVE the house.

Were there problems? Sure! We had the Village Idiots working on framing & exterior siding. We had the very good & very cheap cabinetry guys who could NOT get their sh!t together (they're out of business now because they were so disorganized, but their workmanship is amazing!)

Would my husband ever do it again? Hell no - he's too old and housebuilding was HARD labor. His parents ran the business for a year so he could spend most of his time out here working on the house. For a year I hardly saw him (I was working full time and in grad school at the time).

On the other hand, both of us are control freaks, so the thought of working with another contractor and/or builder? Gives me the shakes!

Good luck with your build!!

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! Coming up on 5 years. That is actually longer then we were in our two previous homes combined. But, pre-Vegas move, we were in that house for 8 years and the one prior to that for 7 years.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.