1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Experience using Avis Preferred

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jonnyvegas, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonnyvegas

Jonnyvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just signed up for Avis Preferred. The option to bypass the counter and nonsense that comes with it is very appealing to me. I was wondering if there is a chance to get a free upgrade from an attendant. Obviously tipping to encourage him/her help me.

Thanks.

2. Fafa2e

Fafa2e Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to Hijack, but I also have an Avis Preferred question.

I booked a reservation through my credit card points and subsequently signed up for Avis Preferred in order to bypass the counter; however, I haven''t been able to attach my Preferred Account to the reservation. Does anyone know if this can be done, if so how?

Bonus Money to Burn
  3. DowntownDiva

DowntownDiva Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The entire point of using Avis Preferred is to not speak to an agent. Assuming everything is in line before you get to the airport, you'll make a sharp right as you enter the rental car facility, walk past the main counter to the garage and find a board with your name and a parking space # on it. You take the car they give you, drive out to the exit where a security person will ensure that you're in the right car and off you go.

If there's a problem with the car or if you want to talk about upgrading, there is a separate Avis Preferred desk in the garage so you don't have to walk all the way back to the main counter. But it's typically only staffed with one agent so if they're already helping someone, you get to wait. They're not special agents or anything - they have the same ability to extend upgrades to you as the 'regular' agents.

If you know you're going to try to haggle, then I don't think there's much value in trying to do Avis Preferred in the first place. The whole point is to go from the rental car bus to driving out of the facility in less than 3 minutes.

4. DowntownDiva

DowntownDiva Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm almost positive you can't do this yourself. In a new reservation created with Avis Preferred, your Avis Preferred ID is a stand-in for your identity. Without that identifier in place at the time of reservation, they just take your name.

Since you booked it through a third party, I think your best option is to call the Avis 800 number and have them add the Avis Preferred ID to your existing reservation. If this were a direct booking, I'd suggest it may be easier just to rebook with the ID entered and cancel the non-Avis Preferred reservation. But doing that through the credit card points people will be a giant pain in the you know what.

5. mrstealth

mrstealth High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also remember that on your "First" rental after signing up you do need to stop inside the little booth downstairs and provide your license (id) and credit card so they have it on file.

6. Fafa2e

Fafa2e Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies, but after multiple attempts I just can't get my Avis Preferred number attached to the reservation. I guess I will have to go to the rental counter, which is going to suck because I'm not scheduled to get in until 10:15 p.m. from the East Coast (1:15 a.m. EST) and will be lugging around golf clubs.

Bonus Money to Burn
  7. kjonly

kjonly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh. I didn't realize this. Coming up will be my "first" rental after signing up, but when I signed up online I linked my credit card and driver's license to my account. Will I still have to stop at the booth?

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.