1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ever lose anything valuable on an airline or hotel?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Piggylane, Apr 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did!

This trip from Hartford to Houston. I was seated in First, seat 1A, on the segment from Minneapolis to Houston. Read my iPad before the flight on Monday. Lumch came, put the iPad in the seat pocket :nono:

When I got to my hotel in Houston I went to retrieve the iPad from my computer bag and CRAP! I left it in the plane! Of course the plane was on its way back to Minneapolis. I called Delta, filed a lost item report. Funny, they don't have a category for an iPad.

The only good thing is when I got the silly thing years ago is I taped a business card to the back. I hoped some honest person would turn it in that day.

Nothing on Monday.

Tuesday Morning the phone rings from Oklahoma City. Great! I have a customer there and finally that dude is calling me back! He has a $100,000 camera of mine and I need it back this week. Nope! It's Delta Baggage Service! They have my iPad! I gave them a FEDEX number and an address. It arrived home today!

So, lesson learned. Don't be Piggylane stupid!

But have you lost anything and gotten it back? Never seen it again?

2. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

What kind of camera?

3. CALELLA

CALELLA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Left my jacket on either the plane or the airport on way from Edinburgh to Lloret de Mar in Spain a few years ago and didn't get it back after numerous phones calls and emails to Ryanair.

Wasn't really bothered about the Jacket, more the HOUSE KEYS that I had left in it DOH!!

4. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've left expensive sunglasses (2 pairs), Bose noise cancelling headphones on flights. I filed the info with the airline...............never saw them again.

5. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never anything valuable(pillow, hat, et al), but it's annoying when you do! My wife lost her wallet at a department store and it sure was a pain cancelling everything, and getting new cards! DL was the most problematic. And, we decided to sign on to a cc monitoring service as well. Lotsa time and some money, definitely not recommended!

Will give them a try!
  6. marksind

marksind Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Left some Bose noise cancelling headphones on a United flight. I realized it about five minutes after getting off and went back. They were gone. Left a ski parka on a seat in the airport boarding area on an Alaska flight from Seattle to Fairbanks a year ago. Realized it when I got to Fairbanks without a coat. Called Alaska Airlines and Seatac lost and found, never was turned in.

Found a roll of money and some items that appeared to have spilled from a purse getting off a United regional jet a few years ago. The outer bills in the roll were hundred dollar bills. I saw it all on a seat in an empty row as I was getting off. I gathered it up and handed it all to the flight attendant at the exit door and told her I found it in seat 12E. She seemed very surprised, so I said that it all probably belongs to someone in that row. Honestly, I don't need the money badly enough to feel like a thief for keeping it, so I wasn't hesitant at all about turning it in. That night I bumped into a couple of flight attendants at the hotel and told them the story and asked them what they thought happened afterward. Their bet was that the money disappeared shortly thereafter.

7. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't official lose it, but I thought I had... A few years ago we check out of the Golden Nugget and were driving back to Colorado and about two hours down the road, I realized I'd left my credit cards, including the company card with the $150,000 limit, in the hotel safe. And, of course, at this point we were smack in the middle of the desert with no cell service. Happy ending though ... Once we got service, I called back and talked to security. The room had already been turned and they waited for the occupants to leave, called me back and told me what all they had retrieved from the safe, then overnighted everything back to me for FREE.

8. wesraft

wesraft Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lost my virginity to a Braniff stewardess. Lost and found was no help at all. Never flying them again.:nono:

9. Piggylane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FLIR GF309 used for inspecting the internals of refinery furnaces. Measures pipe temperatures, calibrated up to 2700 F.

- - - Updated - - -

FLIR GF309 used for inspecting the internals of refinery furnaces. Measures pipe temperatures, calibrated up to 2700 F.

10. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes...Most recently my mp3 player on a recent Carnival Cruise. :cry: Though friends say it is a good thing because now I can come into the 21st century. But it was mine and it had over 300 songs...

11. Piggylane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fairbanks in the winter? Not a place to be without a coat! I've been there several times and the lowest I've experienced is -55 F, hurts to breathe!

Likely the Flight attendants never turned in the cash. Maybe even split the money. Several years ago Delta used to accept cash for booze and snacks. Now they only take credit cards, even for the silly $2 headsets. Seems the flight attendants were "enhancing" their income. The "goes into the plane" didn't equal the cash out of the plane and it couldn't be explained by the blood alcohol level and body mass index of First Class. Not sure if any were prosecuted but many were terminated.

At least you are honest!

12. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Left my laptop on the Plane. Fucked up. Never heard back

13. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm happy that you got your iPad back! I hope you A. Had it Password protected and B. Used the Remote feature to wipe it clean just in case.
    If not keep those 2 things in mind for the future.

I have a Story to share.

Back in the '90's my car was in the shop and so I was driving a rental car. I went to the movies one evening and didn't want to wear my favorite Raymond Weil
    Watch in the theater so I put in in the back pocket of the passenger seat. After returning the car a few days later, I realized my bone-headed mistake.
    I drove to the rental car place and looked through Lost and Found and filed a claim. It was lost forever. I'm still traumatized to this day as it was my favorite watch.

Oh almost lost my Passport on a Train in Europe once. Was standing outside the train talking to someone when I realized I left it in the seat next to me. I ran onto
    the train just before it was about to leave and my friend stood in the doorway so the door would not shut thus holding up the train. Thank goodness I did not lose it!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  14. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, in the Safe at TheHotel @Mandalay Bay (nice ending)

Jan 2013 Annual Birthday/Superbowl trip.

Staying at [email protected] Bay.

Just recovering from Knee surgery from Dec & still on Pain meds,
    but walking in Las Vegas was physical Therapy so all good.

Had a little $$ in my I-Phone wallet, & was a relaxing but not profitable trip for me,
    so the Bankroll wallet just had my Extra Credit cards & misc. junk I don't wish to carry round all of the time.

Grabbed an early flight back to Texas, but since I was on Pain meds I forgot to do my usual room walkout-check.
    /Early Flight +Pain Meds = recipe for Trouble!:eek:

Got home & looked in my backpack for my Big wallet & remembered that I didn't empty the room safe. Oh $hit.....

Called TheHotel & they directed me to the security Dept. & yes in fact they had my wallet in lost in found from our room safe,
    As the maid reported the safe was locked post check-out (honest maid).
    I described the Contents & they verified a few things, & shipped it back to me (with one of my cc#'s in wallet).

Everything was there, I called them back & thanked them for great service!

Thanks for being honest TheHotel @Mandalay Bay!!!
    I will miss you! :wave:

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SAFE< Before you check out!

15. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a Vegas story, but I think worth sharing for the highs and lows of lost and found.

About this time last year, I was in France for a couple of days and when I left, I stupidly forgot to take my iPad with me. I realised much later - when I had already driven about 300 miles north, and called the hotel to ask if they'd found it. The lovely people there (Abbaye Des Maizieres in Beaune if you ever find yourself there and want a hotel with great customer service) found the iPad and agreed to mail it back to me. They too the trouble to go to the French post office and mail it to me. They sent me the tracking number so I could watch it all the way to my home.

Then, it gets interesting. A couple of days later, I check the website and it states "Delivered". Well, it's not in my house and neither my wife nor my children have signed for any packages. I call the UK courier - Parcelforce - and naturally spend an interminable length of time going through their call centre. Anyway, they say they will go and check and get back to me that day. I'm not going to bore you with the litany of failed call backs and my constant pursuit of them until I eventually get a contact at the actual depot that delivered the parcel. When I do call the depot, they say they will talk to the driver, who actually remembers where he delivered it - to a company that manufactures and distributes clothing on the outskirts of my town - not an address that could even be confused with mine. Over the course of the next couple of days, because that's how long it takes to get answers, Parcelforce eventually tells me that they visited the company and they cannot find the package that contains my iPad.

Lots of issues here, because I cannot make an insurance claim because I didn't send it, I would need to get the hotel to do that! Anyway, Parcelforce tell me that the best thing I can do is report it to the police as a THEFT! By this time, I am expressing really quite significant levels of frustration (spot the euphemism) with these guys. I actually do go and relay the whole sorry story to the police who basically go to the clothing company and have a quiet word with them and, miraculously, they find the package and the very next night I come home to a police car in my driveway and the lady officer handing me my iPad still in the packaging that the French hotel put on it.

So, great work by the hotel and the police. Atrocious work by the people whose actual job it is to move things from A to B.

Bright light city's gonna set my soul...
  16. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't lost anything valuable - I'm pretty type A and make sure both husband and I check seat back pockets, floor etc before de-planing and do at least 2 sweeps of a room before checking out.

However, one time we checked into a nicer hotel here in Austin and found a very, very nice watch in the chest of drawers. I forget the make but it was definitely $$$. I took it down to the desk and asked to speak to a manager, told him the room number and gave it to him. I was a little surprised at how grateful he was to us for being honest and turning it in - it honestly never even crossed my mind to do anything else. He asked if he could comp us dinner or drinks and apps in the bar, so we accepted that gratefully. I find it pays to be honest. Hope whoever owned the watch got it back.

Vegas Just Because...
  17. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I once left a brand new digital camera in the seatback on a flight that ended in Vegas. I was lucky because I realized a few hours later and the plane was overnighting there. They sent a member to go check and it was still in the seatback untouched. I did have to take a cab out to the airport the next morning but this was back when digital camera's were expensive so well worth it.

18. VPDana

VPDana Low-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many years ago, we took our kids, my mom and my cousin to see the sights around Las Vegas. We managed to get in some fun time for us too. We had a rental car. We were running a little late for our trip back to the airport and left one of our suitcases in the trunk of the rental. Fast forward to our hometown airport and realized what had happened, called car rental and they said car was already rented out but they would check when it came back in. Sure enough, car came back with the suitcase still in the trunk. Car rental facility said they would drop it off at the airport and hopefully it was find it's way home to us. It did! Although it took the long way home by way of AUSTRALIA!

19. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

My only pair of glasses ( at the time ) -
    they slipped out my shorts pocket on a cab ride to McCarran.
    I was lucky........it wasn't a wad of dough !!
    Been paranoid ever since ---
    in Vegas cabs ( or any cabs ) !
    Good learning experience - that wasn't TOO costly.

20. sevenyo11

sevenyo11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lost my fiancé in Arizona. She didn't get on the plane with me when I moved back to California. I guess that's not to valuable anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.