1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ever gone to Vegas without hotel reservations?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Vegas Name Ron Mexico, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas Name Ron Mexico

Vegas Name Ron Mexico Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always wanted to go to Vegas WITHOUT already having my hotel rooms reserved and then seeing what kind of deal (if any) I could find. I have never done it because I would end up spending much of my first day, lugging bags around and calling around for rates. I have also been worried about getting robbed on the rates.

Has anyone done this? Was it a good idea or did it suck?

Well I came across this app for my ipad called "Hotel Tonight" and after 12 noon, it gives you rates for that night of hotels in major cities. The rates look very good, but seems like it only works with a limited number of hotels in Vegas. Tonight's (Thursday) rates given were:

Hard rock $49
    Paris $49
    Rio $28
    South Point $35
    Palace Station $18
    Sante Fe Station $26

Has anyone ever booked using this app?

2. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would only do that if it wasnt a big holiday weekend or something huge happening in town.
    Last summer, I think it was in July, I had to do a last minute trip. Called around as I was driving to Vegas 2hrs before I got in and best deal from the hotels I like to stay at was Monte Carlo at $99.00 for a friday night.

You can find deals if you really arent picky where you are staying. Off strip places will usually be pretty affordable most of the time.

3. volfaninbama

volfaninbama High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used Hotel Tonight app but not in Vegas. I think it would be no problem during the week unless a big convention like CES or something like Electric Daisy Carnival is going on but I would not want to try it on the weekend. I think you can always find a room but might end up at Motel 6.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never did it for a whole trip. But in Dec 2009 I was meant to fly out of Detroit on a Sunday and a big snowstorm was coming in, so I drove to the airport the day before and got an earlier flight. Took cab to Harrah's, their room rate was 200+ for the extra night, so I said forget that and went over to IP, where I got something like 70 for the night.

For a trip I don't think I'd do it unless the whole trip was a last minute idea. That would get very expensive if there are any Friday/Saturday nights or a convention, and finding a good rate on the fly could be annoying anyway.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never, but I know someone who has, and it's an interesting story.

A friend of ours learned at the last minute that she would be able to join us, and took off driving without making a reservation. (This was before cell phones were common). I was staying at the Stardust, and I checked to see if rooms were available, but they were full. I phoned the IP and they said to send her down there.

She got in town and phoned me and I told her to go to the IP.

She did, walked up to the desk, and got a rate that was better than another friend of ours who had reserved months before!

6. YSinAppleton

YSinAppleton Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never done this and don't think I could. I am such a planner, would be worried sick that I wouldn't be able to find a room at a decent rate.

7. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need to have a good grip on next week. There is NO way I could do that.

8. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, $49 for paris??:eek: that's great! i would consider doing this spur of the moment thing only because i can always stay at "hotel dad" if i can't find anything :thumbsup:

9. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did this all the time in college and after, when I lived in Southern Cal.

During the 4 hour drive, I'd typically call a couple of properties, and someone was usually able to get me in. A large number of rooms seem to be held for the last minute, and when they aren't filled, the rates plummet.

With the massive number of rooms in Vegas, your odds of being completely unable to find something are very low, unless, as has been mentioned, it is a special weekend (like New Years, a major events etc.). So it's more of a risk/reward gamble. Are you willing to be spontaneous and flexible, in exchange for not having to plan ahead and possibly getting a great rate on a nice property?

This is of course all moot for me now - I just call my host.

10. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Between work, dogs and kids, going anyplace for more than a day requires planning and organization so we need to plan far enough in advanced.

This means we have no excuse not to have reservations weeks/months in advanced.

11. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a tip on bags if you do this. Just take them to the bell desk in any hotel and mention you are checking out. Tip them a few bucks of course.

12. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am guessing for that rate your getting the 6 floor east room with a great view of a bum whizzing on the dumpster and the "ultra cozy" room aka 7ft ceilings.

Actually I have done walk up reservations, not in Vegas, but always got the rooms no one else wanted.

13. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i don't know if that's true or not, but we paid $54 a night for paris last september and would have had a room with a view except we wanted a king bed. so we ended up with a nice view of the mountains instead :thumbsup:

14. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    why risk your entire vacation just for the chance that you might be able to save a few bucks? i'm all for gambling, but not when the reward is so minimal compared to the risk.

15. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this theory is better suited for near-locals (LA/OC/SD) who can make split second decisions. I wouldn't recommend this for someone who plans the trip ahead - that kind of anxiety shouldn't be necessary on a vacation.

16. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have stood at Paris while they turned people away with bags, telling them they were sold out. There is no way I would put myself in that situation.

However since I have been to LV before (at least a couple of times lol), I also know I could probably grab the Super 8 at Ellis Island or one of the Marriott props near Bahama Breeze for a survivable amount. So I wouldn't do it on the lead in end or on impulse, but I would do it to get a flight bump & ticket credit.

17. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would never walk into a hotel and ask. I would make calls first before I go there.

There are tons of hotels all over Vegas so its not that hard to find something that is reasonable. It may be easier if you have a car to do this so you're open to finding something off strip.

I've stayed at the Rennaisance next to the convention center on a last minute deal on a Friday night at a real good rate after a major convention.

Also have called into Monte Carlo for under $100 on a Saturday in July.

I guess you just have to know youre Vegas to do this. Stratosphere , Southpoint, Orleans are off strip places that have decent rates to check at for backups. There's places such as the Tuscany and the timeshares that you can call up too. Grand Chateau Marriott has a 2100sq ft 3br that we got last minute for $200 one summer weekend night.

Just a couple weeks ago, some friends got rooms at the Grandview during the Mayweather fight. 2br suite with 2 kitchens (1600sq ft) for $160 a night that they reserved 2 days before through Expedia

Just have to research through the Apps, Expedia, and call directly at the hotels to find some of these deals.

18. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Someone on the board has to have the balls to not reserve their first night and try this out.

We need the report, of course.

19. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know... it just seems like a stupid idea to me.

If it is a truly last minute or spur of the moment trip I can see that, like how Polemarch28 described heading off from college and calling on way out there.

But if you actually have a trip planned, driving out there or not, it just doesn't seem to make sense to say something like "I'm going to Las Vegas and when I get there sit in my car (or in the terminal at the airport) and phone around to a bunch of hotels to find a good rate" when you could just do that at home, even just the night before.

When I get to Las Vegas I want a destination to go to where I can check in, drop my bags off in the room and start the vacation... not get there and waste a bunch of time trying to find a place I want to stay at, whether or not its in the hopes of saving a few bucks or just the excitement of getting to Las Vegas and the "adventure" of trying to find a place to stay.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  20. FoolsGold

FoolsGold Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't care how much of a glut of hotel rooms are supposed to exist, I ain't ever going to Vegas again without a hotel reservation. I learned THAT lesson back when rooms were ten dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.