1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Erotic Heritage Museum closing?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by dmr, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just spoke to a FOAF who just (as in this afternoon) flew back from Las Vegas. They said that the Erotic Museum, the one behind Fashion Show Mall, may be closing.

Anyone know anything about this?

2. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since I had to google FOAF, thought I'd have a look about the museum too. I'd never heard of it before.

From Las Vegas Weekly (Feb.12/14) http://lasvegasweekly.com/as-we-see-it/2014/feb/12/erotic-heritage-museum-experiencing-issue-city-sex/

Amanda Morgan, a UNLV professor who teaches classes at the museum, says that it has closed for days at a time due to lack of staff. Erotic Heritage currently has just one full-time employee, but must also have at least one volunteer to open. And volunteers, it seems, have been in increasingly short supply since the museum’s volunteer outreach coordinator, Mercedes Zavala, died last November. “The museum wasn’t open last Saturday, Sunday or Monday,” Morgan says. Compounding the problem is the lack of any advertising budget. “The museum has always had massive quantities of potential, but it’s never been met, because the advertising budget has been basically zero. I told them all we need is a sign twirler on Las Vegas Boulevard, because we’re only a block away from the Strip, and people there are bored and want to learn about sex.”

3. MrSandsman

MrSandsman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be very sad if it does close. It is a very important historical archive and I always get something new out of the place every time I visit. But. like one of my other favourite Las Vegas volunteer places, the Burlesque Hall of Fame Museum, it always seems to be in danger of closing due to lack of funds and staff.

4. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of people have been saying this place would never do well, ever since its soft opening.

5. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RF, I thought it was a "soft core" opening. Attendance has been rather limp. :evillaugh

6. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    goddamn wanted to hit it in march, they just were offering a discount on groupon or something yesterday that sucks

8. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was an interesting experience, imo. No way it was worth full price. We also used a groupon. One of the few people in there (it was a weekday afternoon).

9. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dang. It was on our list of places to take our friends on this upcoming trip. Was going to use the ACG coupon. Cross that off the agenda :cry:

Always seems so far away............
  10. RedRock702

RedRock702 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm I have my groupon from last year that expired that I was gonna use for it's FACE VALUE this trip. I wonder if Groupon will give me my money back :)

11. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Groupon is very good about stuff like that.

Last year, I had an oil change Groupon. I know I got the oil change, but my Groupon site said that the certificate was expired but active. I tried to use it again for the face value and the mechanic refused it. On a whim, I contacted Groupon and had that face value refunded within a day. They never even asked if I had attempted to use it prior.

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.