1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

EB Southwest Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Backagain1, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Feeling dumb and probably asked before but I am so lost.
    If I purchased the Early Bird can I print 36 hours early?
    What are the odds of sitting with someone else who purchased EB?
    What is the idea/thought process behind no assigned seats.
    Anything else I should know?

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With EB, they will assign your seat 36 hours before the flight. You can then access your boarding pass 24 hours before to see what you got.

With EB, you can sit anywhere, you just get to pick your seat first. You won't necessarily be with other people who chose EB.

The thought process behind no assigned seats is that they feel it helps load the plane faster. I don't know that it's true. I think the plane loads faster when people are considerate, arrive on time and don't abuse the carry on rules. When it takes forever for a plane with assigned seating to load, it has a lot to do with poorly planned boarding processes but I've been on plenty of flights with assigned seats that load just as quickly as SW.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The alternative to EB is to book your check in exactly 24 hours to your flight.

Saves you $12.50 each and if you do it EXACTLY 24 hours to flight time, you should still end up in the high As or low Bs.

Because I don't want to deal with it on the return flight, I always do EB, but never on the departure flight.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. ronc

ronc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that you can usually get into at least the low B's without EB but there is one little thing that does put you behind others who check in at 24 hours before your flight...the people connecting with your plane from other locations check in 24 hours in advance of their flight, so they have an advantage over you at that point. I think that is why you end up high A/low B in airports with a lot of connecting flights (like Houston).

I do EB both ways for Vegas and on return trips only for most other places...

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While almost every flight we book is non-stop, SWA does have some goofy flight patterns. For instance, people flying out of Orlando, fly to Milwaukee, then to Vegas. But, even in those cases, we almost always end up with decent seats w/o EB from Milwaukee.

Now, this new thing of buying better boarding positions at the gate may change all of that.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  6. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We already have our $10 EB (both ways = $40) for our flights in April and September. But, on our next trip after that, with this new price increase, we might try to do what Joe does ... take our chances at home, at the 24-hr time, and just buy the EB on the return flight home, so we don't have to worry about the 24-hr timeline.

The only problem we might have going out to Vegas is that we fly out of Chicago Midway, and those flights are always packed, and we would hate to get a "C" pass ... especially since we always do carry-on luggage. :rolleyes2:

7. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everyone!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.