1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

eating at buffet and tipping

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by patroyal2014, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patroyal2014

patroyal2014 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how much tip do you leave the server if you eat at the buffet? i get a comped meal, so the meal is free for me. i'm used to tipping 10%-15% at the full-service restaurant, but i don't know what is a good percentage or amount to tip at the buffet, where the server only removes your empty plates. i don't ask for refills. i also don't know if they keep the tip, or split it with the other servers.

2. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple bucks if by yourself, for a couple I would tip $5 and more if a larger group.

3. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually $4.00 for the two of us.

4. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about this either and wait the replies. We usually tip $3 for the two of us (used to be $2). Not sure if we are cheap or not? Now this is Mid Tier places (Paris, Pho), not the Bellagio, Caesars, etc..

5. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually dine alone....... that said 2-3 $ for a lower to mid level buffy. High end up to a finster.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually leave $5 or $6 for the two of us on a comp.

Christmas
  7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $2 or so a person for good service. $1 to a server who doesn't ever clear or offer refills. I don't tip more at higher end buffets, I only tip more for more courteous and attentive service. My best buffet server was at the Gold Coast breakfast buffet and there is no way I would tip her less than the server at Wynn who frowned and acted like we were bothering her just because it was more pricey.

8. 4dazeoff

4dazeoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    usually 15% if I'm paying, 20% for great service or comp. (minimum of $4 for 2breakfasts). good luck!:beer:

9. Earthman

Earthman Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $2 per person at least, up to $5 per person for exceptional service. Some of the servers really do try hard to take care of you.

10. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My buffet rule is I start with $1 and add another $1 for every trip back to the table a server makes. Drink refill? Another $1. Dropped my fork and they bring me another? Another $1. Check on us and ask if there's anything we can't find? Another $1. It usually amounts to $4 or $5 total.

11. runningonthehub

runningonthehub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, tipping depends on the service.
    Just bringing me my first round of beverages does not rate a tip. That's part of the job. If the server comes by for refills once, that's a $1 tip. If the server comes by twice for refills, that's a $2 tip. Anything more than twice is a $3 tip.

I do not feel that I should have to flag down a server to get refills. If they want a tip, they need to earn a tip. Too many times I have never seen the server after they brought my first drink. I don't have a problem with that, as one round of drinks is usually enough. But, I expect the server to at least ask if I need anything.

12. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Opps, we've been too cheap ($3), so $4 - 5 will be our new range, thanks! :confused2::eek:

13. WHIVGOYTUBE

WHIVGOYTUBE MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely hate having to wait wait wait for my refill, and then flag down a server for refills (usually only need one). So I'm going to incorporate your method in reverse. If I have to flag them, then $1 deduction (back to my $3 tip which I have been doing for a while). If they also come by, in addition to the refill, just to check on us, a $1 addition to $5. :thumbsup:

14. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually $5. If they fail to clear plates or don't fill beverages then I will downgrade. However, if I purchase unlimited wine, beer, champagne and they keep my beverage always full I will add extra. :beer:

Always seems so far away............
  15. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We leave $10 (my wife and I, so thats $5 per person) and will leave an extra $5 if service is pretty good. I've only ever had bad buffet service once (at Aria) and in that case we left her no tip.

16. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Tourist

Home of the Cincinnati Bengals!!! Who dey!!!
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually tip higher amounts at buffets. I think the wait staff actually does more for you at a buffet, constantly bringing refills and taking away used plates.

17. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm... I don't know:

At a regular restaurant the wait staff will bring you drink refills and take your used plates away, just like at a buffet, but they will also take your order and bring you your food, which they don't do at the buffet. Also at a restaurant the wait staff will also usually follow up with customers to see if they are enjoying the food and all that, and if not try to correct the situation or offer replacement.

Thinking about it, the only way a buffet server would really do more is if you go through a lot of plates while eating. At a sit down restaurant if you split an appetizer and have a main dinner each and then a dessert each thats 7 plates a table of two would go through... at a buffet you'd have to go through 4 plates per person for it to actually be more and then you'd have to figure if removing that 1+ plate(s) is more work than taking order and delivering all that food to the table...

18. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Tourist

Home of the Cincinnati Bengals!!! Who dey!!!
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very good points...never really thought of some of those reasons....

19. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually its 10% at a buffet, 20% in a restaurant.

I often feel they do more at a buffet. They drop off water, ask for our drink order, refill it and bring coffee at the end of the meal and the usually offer to refill the coffee. The buffet starts with soup, then a salad, then a little bit of the main things, and then maybe a little more, all followed up with dessert. That makes for quite a few plates that they're constantly clearing up. It's a rare time when they don't stop by to ask if there's anything we need. Definitely some servers are better than others and get a better tip.

In a restaurant, unless we're having a special meal, the drink is water, there's no appetizer or dessert. So essentially, they drop off water and our menu, take the order, drop it off and refill the water and bring us the bill when we say we don't want any dessert.

20. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually $5 for every two people. If they provide exceptional service (very polite, clears plates quickly, and refills drinks without me asking) then I'd tip double the amount. I rarely find great service at buffets, which is why I sometimes tip $10+ for really good service since they deserve it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.