1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Eastern Canada to Vegas in Feb..the WOES!!!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jordan, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan

    Jordan Caveman

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2,384
    Location:
    Halifax, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    25
    We are supposed to leave at 5:30am local time, fly to Toronto to make a 1hour 30 min connection to Vegas.

    What a beautiful day out there now...here is the problem.

    Capture.JPG

    All that green is a snowstorm which is going to start around 2:00pm or 3:00pm today and continue until 2:00am in the morning (a few hours before our scheduled departure)

    I fear the worst....I've got presidential and the palazzo on speed dial just in case, ugh...get me to Vegas on time, this one time...PLZ :)
     
  2. Joe

    Joe VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Messages:
    11,319
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    175
    Best of luck to you getting out. Our flight leaves in 5 hours but I think our snow is over, at least for today.
     
    Christmas
  3. Jordan

    Jordan Caveman

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2,384
    Location:
    Halifax, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    25
    Thanks....fingers are crossed!
     
  4. sweetcanadian

    sweetcanadian High-Roller

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Messages:
    856
    Location:
    Manitoba canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    1
    Too bad toronto is so far away, i woulda driven to beat the storm lol.

    They tend to cancel planes often in the east don't they? Here in winnipeg it is rare, most cancellations come from elsewhere, not originating here.

    Hope you make that plane, if not is there a flight the day after?
     
  5. LolaDoggie

    LolaDoggie VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,377
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    6
    That's the sucky part of trying to get out of the cold. Are you going to try to get to the airport anyway? I wish you the best of luck.

    I've done a crazy drive to Detroit to catch a plane to Vegas on country roads because the 401 and secondary highways were closed (in a 1997 Saturn SL 4 door 5 speed 1.9L with my husband nattering away about how stupid everything was, wearing no pants because they were on the back seat drying because they got soaked when we tried to get out of our driveway). The airport was closed that day but we had a park and fly at an airport hotel. I figured we should at least get there and try to get out of if they reopened. We did get out on time. So you never know.
     
  6. Royal Flusher

    Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    Messages:
    5,508
    Location:
    Flusherville, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    57
    I feel your pain. I've had some terrible experiences trying to get out of Flusherville Regional Aerodrome to connect in Toronto on Air FU Canada or Jazz or CrasHair or whatever it is that day. Georgian Air FU Canada...

    I hope you will post as you go to let us know what happens!
     
  7. Jordan

    Jordan Caveman

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2,384
    Location:
    Halifax, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    25
    Update....

    It has not even started to snow and Air Canada has cancelled all flights leaving Halifax after 6:00pm...

    They never cancelled my flight yet, but I feel it coming.....grrrrrr!!!
     
  8. LolaDoggie

    LolaDoggie VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,377
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    6
    If I wasn't in Ontario...I'd buy you a drink. I'm sorry man.
     
  9. Jordan

    Jordan Caveman

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2,384
    Location:
    Halifax, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    25
    Like I said, our plane is still showing as on time.....The snow just started here in Halifax, now the wait is on....Hurry the f*** up snow and be done with you so we can get to our Happy Place!
     
  10. Jordan

    Jordan Caveman

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2,384
    Location:
    Halifax, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    25
    Too bad toronto is so far away, i woulda driven to beat the storm lol.

    Yes, its a total crap shott buying a ticket for January or February if you live on the east coast of Canada!

    Here in winnipeg it is rare, most cancellations come from elsewhere, not originating here.

    Yup, there same flight the next day, but unless I call and cancel my Palazzo reservation 24 hours in advance (too late already) I'll most likely loose my $$
    for the first night of the hotel!
     
  11. DonnyC

    DonnyC VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    Messages:
    2,137
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    8
    Are you still flying out of Winnipeg? If you don't mind the drive and want to save some cash try Allegiant - that's what we do - out of Grand Forks.

    We used to fly out of WPG but can't get flights under (around) $500 per person anymore.
     
  12. sandman748

    sandman748 Low-Roller

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2012
    Messages:
    234
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    6
    If you catch a sale Westjet can still be cheaper at times. We just came back from a round trip direct flight that was 360pp. When you factor in baggage, and seat fees, as well as gas and parking, Grand Forks isn't always cheaper. Especially if you value your time. Also doesn't help that every single return flight through Allegiant is at 6-8am. Also flying with Allegiant is almost like going through what OP is dealing with except their problems are year round and not related to the weather.

    OP... Sorry for jacking the thread. Best of luck for your flight.
     
  13. Icedgenes

    Icedgenes Low-Roller

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2014
    Messages:
    124
    Location:
    Upstate New York
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    2
    The snow causing delay in the east is a storm moving up the coast hence the cancellations in Halifax already. It moved thru the SE of lake Ontario a couple hours ago. We are used to heavy lake effect here and I wasn't expecting much of a problem but visibility was about 10-20 feet for an hour or so.
    If the rest of the delays don't spill over delaying yours, the weather shouldn't be a factor.

    Good Luck
     
  14. DonnyC

    DonnyC VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2012
    Messages:
    2,137
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    8
    Wow that's a good rate!

    But our travel plans are usually not flexable enough to go on a seat sale. Flwon with Alliegant a few times and with the add on's (seat and luggage) we are still getting under $300 pp. I also live in Southern Mb so I am close to the border.
     
  15. Jordan

    Jordan Caveman

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2,384
    Location:
    Halifax, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    25
    Well, I just got the dreaded email...flight cancelled....grrrrrrrrr

    The booked us for mid afternoon, 12 hours later, putting us in Vegas at 11:15pm ( providing no more delays). On the phone. With them now to try and extend the trip by 1 day, in effect gaining 12 hours of Vegas time, rather than loosing 12.

    The only thing I'm unsure of is if I should keep my reservation at the palazzo, check in at 11:30ish at night and check out at 11:00am to head to caesars?
     
  16. sweetcanadian

    sweetcanadian High-Roller

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Messages:
    856
    Location:
    Manitoba canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    1
    How much is the room there? it is expensive is it not? i would see if you could
    get them to feel sympathy for you and let you cancel. I hope you make it out on time.

    As for Donny, i am not even in winnipeg, i am west still so it is a 4 hour drive to grand forks at least, then probably a hotel etc it never works out to save for just us.

    We got our tickets through air miles though and the total of both is $424 and that is direct flights. We leave at 2 and get to vegas 4pm and leave @ 5 putting us back in winnipeg after 10. Can't beat the price or times
     
  17. Jordan

    Jordan Caveman

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    Messages:
    2,384
    Location:
    Halifax, Canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    25
    OK, All rebooked.....Here's the end result:

    Waited on the phone for 1 hour 15mins with Air Canada, end result they changed our flight to arrive tomorrow night (Arriving Vegas 10:35pm) and we also changed the end date to come home a day later :)

    Called the Palazzo, and after the person who answered the phone talked to her manager and I gave flight number they cancelled and fully refunded my deposit (equal to the cost of the room for the night).

    Called Caesars (Total rewards) to change my reservation with them to include tomorrow night and the extra night on the end. They connected me to "VIP" Services and was talking to one of the most polite lady...She added the extra 2nights on to my existing reservation (No Charge) and switched my from a Augustus Tower King Luxury room, to an Octavious Tower King Luxury. I believe this is an upgrade (because it its in the newer Tower) but I'm not sure!

    Last call was to presidential, changed the Limo times and the drop-off from the Palazzo to Caesars.

    All good now, hopefully no more delays!
     
  18. thecarve

    thecarve Misanthrope

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    Messages:
    4,378
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    49
    Sorry for the PITA, but...upgrade, extra night, no hotel change...not a terrible trade off for a few hours of worrying and sitting on hold! :thumbsup:

    Best of luck (with Mother Nature and the tables/machines)!
     
  19. sweetcanadian

    sweetcanadian High-Roller

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    Messages:
    856
    Location:
    Manitoba canada
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    1
    glad it all worked out for you!!! seems you get more in the end.
     
  20. LolaDoggie

    LolaDoggie VIP Whale

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,377
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    6
    I'm glad it's still working out OK. I would have cried like a little girl. I really would have.
     
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.