1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Early morning flights?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at flights and Southwest has a Nonstop fro. Columbus to Vegas leaving at 6a with a 730 arrival. Curious what the thoughts are on arriving that early.

Tentative Arrival
  2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    going to be a long day. I like to arrive fresh and ready to go, so I always take an afternoon flight.

3. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Iv always taken an 8am arriving around 1030 but the 2 Nonstops are 6a and late afternoon which I feel as of I am losing a day

Tentative Arrival
  4. sura83

sura83 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Given a choice between the two I would definitely choose the earlier flight. I like to get there as early in the day as possible. We have a nonstop leaving BUF at 7:45 and arriving at 9:35. Figure it may be too early to check in, but I'd still rather be there than sitting around at home most of the day waiting for a late afternoon flight.

5. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I agree. There are several flights a day but only 2 Nonstops.

The return is 630pm arriving home at 130am

Tentative Arrival
  6. Roo

Roo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take that same flight...I think it's great :)

7. Sdebruyne

Sdebruyne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the early flights too. We like to get there early, check our bags if we can't get into our room, then get a nice lunch and take in Vegas.

By late afternoon, we lose steam and head to our room to take a nap for an hour or so. By early evening we are ready to go until the wee hours of the morning! We have done this our past couple trips and it worked out great.

When we have had later flights, it seems like a wasted day, and because of the time difference, we were exhausted by 11pm.

8. MNVegasgal

MNVegasgal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love the early flight out of MSP. Leaving Friday on the 7:04 AM flight.. get into Vegas at 8:20 or so. Pick up Rental car and head to the hotel. Normallyl bell check the luggage and go grap a bite to eat, and get checked in around 11:30 or so. We both are early morning people, so leaving that early is not a problem for us. We might get a little tired the first night, but head to bed at a reasonable hour and stay on a similar schedule to our home time.

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    then stay an extra night. that's the reason we decided to make most of our trips 4 nights now instead of 3. it's 3 days, but we take an afternoon flight both ways, so we arrive more refreshed both ways.

10. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We do something similar to Minnesota LV Gal. Typically we drive into Chicago Midway and spend the night prior. Fly SWA on the earliest nonstop (around 6:30 am) and arrive with time to have breakfast or a weekend brunch. If you do not mind the early AM flight you benefit from:

• It is usually the first flight out so you rarely have a delay
    • Typically a sleepy outgoing flight with fewer noisemakers
    • Fewer crowds at LAS as well as shorter lines at the rental car counter
    • Traffic on the strip is much better early morning
    • It's about a 50/50 split on getting your room early. If they don't have it available we drop the bags at the bell desk and are usually the first on the list to receive a room, when it is available.

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One advantage of flying from the east coast is taking advantage of the time difference to get there early. Plus early flights less likely to get cancelled, you have more time to work with if your flight does get cancelled, etc.

Only issue is whether you can get a room. Out of 10 trips and about 16 check-ins before noon, there was only one time I wasn't able to get a room right away.

First day is always a long day, might as well get there early and get yer ya-yas out before you hit the wall.

12. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sometimes take an 8:00 am flight. The difference, for me anyway, is leaving that early, I arrive in Vegas sober. Nobody is drinking on the plane at 8:00 am unlike later in the day. The afternoon flights, well, I start drinking at the airport for lunch and continue unabated all the way to Vegas. When I land, I already have my buzz on and am ready to roll!:beer:

13. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do same, except I leave luggage in rental car trunk and run around until check in. My next trip I get in at 11:30, this time I will run out to the M and eat my free buffet then run around until check in

14. jjc312

jjc312 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take the early SW flight from Pittsburgh and arrive around 9am. 50/50 if they have a room ready. I always pack a little pool bag so I can drop my bags off at the bell desk and hit the pool after a small bit to eat. Or I drop both bags off and take a nice walk up and down the strip and start the vacation early.:beer:

15. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For us the first flight to Las Vegas isn't until 10AM, I'd go earlier if we could (used to have 6AM flights 5 years ago).

I always take a non-stop when I can and we are 4 for 4 on success with checking in before 9AM.

If it were me I'd take the early flight, try to check in to room early, go for breakfast, gamble for an hour or two, get a couple of drinks in and then if feeling tired just go up to the room and take a nap or if the weather is good take a nap out at the pool.

16. snowball

snowball Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always take the early flight too. I like it because I feel like I have the full day in Vegas. If we are tired we would just have a nap...but that hasn't happened yet.

17. fabriano

fabriano Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do what Shifter does---leave late to LV, add extra nite, leave late for home.
    I go to LV approximately 6 times per year & have never experienced a flight delay or rowdy passengers to or from LV.

18. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at 2 other options. First, I can take another airline, which gets me there around 9am but has a stop, it's 100 cheaper round trip.

Another thing, I'm thinking of leaving late Monday night, not getting a room (I'd already be at the airport flying my son to his a mom's in Texas) and enjoying the extra time is have (never been as an adult long than 3 nights) or getting a room cheap somewhere just too freshen up.

So much to think about, but plenty of time

Tentative Arrival
  19. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gotten rooms as early as 8am. Another handy use for a $20 bill.

20. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a non-stop flight I would probably take any hour. However, flying in from the east coast, I prefer as early as possible e.g. 6am. That gets me into LV noon or a bit later. By the time I get my bags and travel to the hotel, there is almost always a room available. If not, Ill leave them and go for lunch. Of 19 trips, there was a room available 18 times! Then I unpack, get comfortable and go explore, or, if tired take a nap. I then have all day, or if I didn't nap, I'll retire early and when I wake up I am acclimated to Pacific time and ok from then on.

This gives me a full day. I try for a late morning or early afternoon departure. This gives me an opportunity to have a good breakfast, pack leisurely, and get to the airport without having to rush. The rest of the day is sacrificed to travel arriving in NH late evening or around midnight.

Jimbo338

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.