1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Drunk person

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by jburp, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jburp

jburp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sister and I had a situation on the express bus tonight. We got on the bus downtown at Fremont. There was a drunk man (not falling down drunk, but noticeably drunk) waiting to get on the bus among everyone else. He had a cup of beer in his hand. There was a security guard telling he had too stay away from the red color sidewalk because he had a beer. Drunk guy was giving security guy a hard time. Security guy asked drunk guy to see his bus pass. Drunk guy had one so he let him on the bus, which came very shortly.

My sister and I were sitting near the front of the bus. Drunk guy comes on and there were no seats left. Lucky us, he had to stand right in front of us. He started to harass me. Calling me fat and that I was taking up to much of the seat. (I am not fat, not skinny either, but did not take up more than 1 seat. It was a seat for 2). He said he really wanted to sit down.

He also made a little girl cry because she was afraid of him. She was about 6 or 7. He kept it up from downtown until the Fashion Show Mall stop. He sat on a stoop right by our legs and started to lean on me. All the while harassing me about eating too much and just other stuff. Finally I said I had enough and he should stop leaning on us. He got up and looked like he wanted to hit one of us. Kind of raised his hand a few times. We got up then and let him have both seats.

When he got off the bus everyone around me said that they couldn't believe I put up with that. I was kind of surprised that no one even men tried to tell him to knock it off.

My question is, what should we have done in this situation? Bus drivers are in an enclosed section and won't talk while driving. We were almost going to call 911. It was awful. If he would have not gotten off when he did, we would have gotten off at the next stop and picked up the next bus.

Just wondering what should happen in that situation. It doesn't matter, but I think drunk guy was a local.

Thanks

2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To keep the peace?, should have just let drunky McDrunkerson have your seatsat the start
    and hoped he would pass out

but after it got wierd?, yeah call 911 would have been your move

3. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't take the bus anymore. Loud obnoxious drunks is exactly why. Don't expect to find any honorable gentlemen on a bus to defend your honor. I have yet to see a man offer a seat up to a woman - I've seen even elderly women stand - while the young punks sit. -- Val

36th Wedding Anniversary
  4. Tokennut

Tokennut Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ride public transit quite a lot, and there aren't a lot of options. I would suggest that generally ignoring the person is best, but at the point he is invading space, need to address right there either by moving or claiming your space. Although you may not concur, a result where no one is physically injured is a good result. I don't think calling 911 would have resulted in a more positive end result, and could have put you in more danger. The only thing I would might have done is spoken loudly and requested help of other passengers to encourage him to change his behaviour but again, that could have escalated it.

The simplest solution for safety if he was fixated on sitting in your spot, is to give it to him. Which you did... Sorry you had this unpleasant experience.

5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Was it worth your time to "fight the fight" ?
    No.
    Because you didn't........and that's okay.
    Oh,....forget people around you "stepping in" ..........geez !.......why would they ?
    It's not their problem and they're all a bunch of lame, whussies !
    911.........?..........was it THAT important ?....
    .....compared to a "life + death" scenario - going on somewhere else.
    No.
    Seperate yourself from the problem ( the drunk ) which you finally did.
    But you waited too long.......next time you will know sooner, you've had experience, now.
    Finally.....on a lighter note........I fully apologize for my actions that night -
    I lost alot of money that night Downtown.......got hammered.

6. woody82986

woody82986 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe it's the Texan in me. Or maybe I just don't tolerate rude behavior. Or both. I would have ignored him first. Then when he persisted I would have warned him what was going to happen if he kept it up. Then if he kept it up I would have made good on whatever the warning was and probably spent the night in jail for it. I would have probably gotten up and given him my seat but said if he opened his mouth one more time to berate me or anyone else while I was on that bus, he was going to take a nap and wake up with a sore jaw. I understand the best thing to do is to simply remove yourself from the situation, but like I said, I don't tolerate rude behavior. Especially when it's directed toward me.

7. Jonnyvegas

Jonnyvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will never see me on one of those drunk buses. Pay for a taxi.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You did the best you could do.

Confrontation with an idiot would only lower you to his level. And since he has more experience, he would win.

Nothing to gain. Move along.

Sorry your experience.

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have given him the seat and stepped away. Calling 911 would have been overkill.

10. hotreds

hotreds VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In this day an age if you had done anything to him physically you would have been sued and God only knows how much money he would have won.

A/C in December!?
    Will give them a try!
  11. TOWNSVILLE

TOWNSVILLE Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hear you,however when my beloved and l spent two weeks on the busses in March this year we had no problems.Maybe it could just be personal attitude,or we had good luck whilst using the public transport system.l just don't know.However l would recommend the Vegas bus system to anyone who wanted cheap transport around the city.Value,convenient,real world people,and maybe just harden up.It is Vegas after all.ENJOY.

12. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont think it's reasonable to expect some strange man on the bus to get in a fight for you.

13. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas? Your kidding, right? Can't deal with most drunks and I most likely move but when the little girl cries I call the police.

Here we go again!
  14. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was referring to her comment that she was surprised no men stepped into the fray.

15. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you did the right thing in giving him your seat. In situations like that you just don't know who you're dealing with and what they are capable of, so better to avoid a physical confrontation, in my opinion.

16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely would have stepped in on your behalf. I've done it before.

I'm 66 and will always give up my seat to a senior woman.

17. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :beer:

Here we go again!
  18. marcianofan

marcianofan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This guy was making it personal, which would have got me going. Not sure what I'd do, but I'm not putting up with those insults. The thing is, tho, that if you do do anything physical it sounds like one of those cases where the other guy has nothing to lose and you've got everything to lose.

19. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sucks you had to deal with some idiot who can't hold their liquor.

What would I have done?

I know the drivers don't talk and they're enclosed but I would have let them know so they could call it in or force the clown to get off the bus. If the driver refused to help then I would have considered contacting Metro for assistance. No reason to be harassed.

If the guy kept getting pushy I would have confronted him and certainly wouldn't have given up my seat to him. But that's just me. Everyone is different and I am sorry you had to deal with a jerk on vacation!

20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm assuming you are both women. There is no dealing with drunks. He could have been in a blackout state and had no idea what is going on.

The problem would have been quickly solved by a man or even a younger woman in another part of the bus offering you their seats.

Not to put part of it on you, you as well could have stood up and moved to another part of the bus.

You survived the ordeal and so did everyone else.

I just don't get why the transit authority can do nothing in a highly touristed area.

There is an awful lot here that is unknown to us readers. And I'll bet almost anything that a lot of it is due to pc.

I'm also going to say, and I know I shouldn't, that I believe a huge part of the indignation is that he was calling you fat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.