1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Drought

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Reefer, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reefer

Reefer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all know the situation Vegas has been in regarding water supply in the future. Has anyone heard how the California drought has affected any of the Nevada/Vegas area in the now?

2. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now don't quote me..and I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere but I seem to remember hearing that California has rights to some of the Lake Mead water and that they were going to start tapping into it last year. Vegas (the city) gets the majority of their drinking water from Lake Mead so that could have a big impact if they are.

It could also impact things like power generation there. Not so much for Vegas but I believe most of the power generated there is actually sold to California.

Vegas seems to have been alot more proactive on restricting water from what I've seen, as far as paying residents to take out green lawns and use desert landscaping as such.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The project has already started.
    The American and Italian flags hang from the front of a tunneling machine that just finished drilling a three-mile tunnel under Lake Mead and into a water intake structure placed at the bottom of the reservoir in 2012.

Workers from Vegas Tunnel Constructors, a subsidiary of Italy-based construction giant Impregilo, guided the massive machine to within three millimeters of its intended target.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/water-environment/machine-drills-3-mile-tunnel-under-lake-mead-photos

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Drought? What drought?

The above is the response I get from most locals. In fact, most of the ones I know think the government is spinning this for the worst and that things are going to be just fine - really.

All I know is when I check Lake Powell (which feeds Lake Mead) and our Utah snowpack (which feeds Lake Powell) - it does not look good. We should have 200 inches of snow at the top of Snowbird at Winter's end - we've got 69 inches. And, the early Spring means people are starting their watering a month early.

In other forums, I have been told my posts about the water situation are "negative" and "not helpful." Over at City Data the general consensus was, "This is California's problem - not ours." I guess that settles it.

Bill

5. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mike,

California has been getting water from Lake Mead (and the Colorado river watershed) since day 1.
    With the recent official drought emergency declaration by Gov Brown, California will draw MORE water from Lake Mead.

This is just going to lead to Lake Mead water levels dropping even further than the record low levels it is currently at.
    I've read many articles on this issue, and many water experts and scientists say that Lake Mead will never recover to it's maximum levels, something that hasn't occurred since 1983.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

There is no "California drought" or "Nevada drought," there is a region-wide drought that is presently problematic on the upper Colorado River watershed and direly critical in the Sierra Nevada. There are many threads here outlining the history and facts of how Vegas and the region gets its water, and I've posted many links to some of the leading books on the matter. If interested PM me and I'll make some recs or dig through the archives.

Long story short, CA essentially gets water from two sources, the Colorado watershed and the Sierra. Of concern to Vegas fans is the Colorado, which is where Vegas gets its water. The Colorado River is allotted between up basin states and down basin states, with AZ, NV and CA being the latter. NV has only a small legal claim to that water allotted to the lower basin. And the amount of water upon which the allocations were made decades ago were historically (in river time) unsustainable; in good years the Colorado doesn't pass as much water as anticipated and the basin plan did not account for the immense periods of severe drought.

Las Vegas isn't going to wither and blow away at some point, but at some point a HUGE amount of money is going to have to be spend to keep it going.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. Reefer

Reefer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's good to hear replies from those of you who are "out that way". Those of us, like Joe & I, in Wisconsin don't see things or hear things as you do being near it. (Although Joe has most likely heard it before after living there for some time)
    I remember when I first joined VMB the talk was 'Vegas will run out of water by 2021'. I know there have been other post on the subject. The recent news that we hear of California's current problems seems serious.
    So thanks to you that live in or near the area for your responses.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I moved to California about 40 years ago. They were talking about droughts then too.

Of course we all recall when we ran out of gas in the 70's but somehow it magically came back.

Havent done anything to curb the droughts other then require low flow toilets and showerheads and fine people.

Every time it rains the water still flows right off my roof and into the ocean.

Seems they would want to do something to catch it but of course if they solved the problem they would no longer control us so that wont happen.

My idea was some sort of recovery system on all new construction. We would have seen an improvement with 40 years to get it right but we are still sitting at square one like they did during grapes of wrath days.

Solve the problems and we wont need the bosses anymore.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.