1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving to Las Vegas from Michigan

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by snickerboob, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snickerboob

snickerboob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really thinking about driving to Las Vegas from 60 miles north of Detroit,MI.
    By myself. No one can make the trip even if we flew.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow!!! I sure couldn't do it, but more power to you. I'm a "destinations" guy, not a "journey" guy, with regards to travel. I'm all about where I'm going and how quickly can I get there. I admire people who are about the "journey" getting there. My parents were that way. They'd stop anywhere that they found interesting and stay for whatever time they thought it merited, while still on their way to the ultimate destination.

3. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Snickerboob good to here from you. :beer:
    If you have the time and your car is in good shape to make it there and back, go for it before the snow flies. Be careful and stay awake. If you get tired pull over and take a rest. :wave:

4. 4Vegas

4Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds great!. I would like to make that drive to Vegas from Texas some day, and make some other stops along the way. I just don't have that kind if time.

5. wormhole

wormhole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have driven to Vegas from SW Ohio a couple of times. Enjoyed it. Did several side trips on the way home both times.

6. fluffygrrrl

fluffygrrrl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh, road trips are only fun if you are with someone. You aren't going to save any money driving. They have flights from Flint on sale through SW.

7. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you do this, I would highly recommend driving through St. Louis and hitting the Old Route 66, where you can Get your Kicks in Joplin, MO; OK City; Amarillo, TX; Gallup, NM; Flagaff, AZ (don't forget Winona) and Kingman, AZ.

Seriously, to me this is a much better experience than the I-80 route, having done most of both.

8. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I've done both to Vegas from Illinois and prefer the I-80 route.
    In fact, did I-80 twice this summer to Utah and it was smooth sailing all the way.

9. snickerboob

snickerboob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not about the money. My husband died 4 months ago & before I met him I did a trip with my 6 yrs old by myself to Wyoming. Maybe I'm trying to find something I'm missing. I don't know. It just sounds like a cool trip before I get to old to even consider it! :beer:

10. AOchoa95

AOchoa95 Low-Roller

Go for it! In June took my three boys in a rental car from the Central Valley in CA, best car trip ever! Took six hours and $35 bucks in gas. Loud yelling, joking around and their kind of music, eating beef jerky and drinking of rum and root beer by the boys of course. We could have flown but cheaper and memories to remember. Make some memories for yourself and enjoy yourself. Pic of my three boys! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375658609.782645.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While the Interstates are faster, I prefer taking the side roads and taking in a bit of America during my road trips. I plan on doing this trip starting in Chicago, the original start of Route 66.

I've taken road trips as far as to Seattle, Maine and Georgia - The SW is the final of the four corners left to conquer.

[YOUTUBE]NfbBw-YMBeQ[/YOUTUBE]

12. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd love to drive out to Vegas as well. However, I can usually only get away for a week or so. Spending four days driving to have four days in Vegas doesn't sound as good as flying and spending 7 of those 8 days IN Vegas instead!

Although if I can ever get away for a longer period of time (2 weeks min), a drive out west would be something I'd love to do!

13. matti

matti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds fun! I'm a road trip junkie and if I had enough time, I would drive every where versus flying. I've taken a few 1,500 mile solo road trips and I always had a blast!

14. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear about your husband, that has to be rough.

I say go for it, I actually have found that road trips can be a bit cathartic for me. Load up on music, download some audio books from your local library or CDs to play, take pictures on your phone, upload here via Tapatalk, the miles will fly by. I would do I80, then drop down into Denver, then I70 to I15, then Vegas. I do the drive between Denver and Grand Junction all the time, quite beautiful, you can stop at Vail rest area, little over 10,000 feet. I have done the drive between Grand Junction and Las Vegas 5 times in last year, it is 7.5 hours. Actually, beautiful drive, what they call High Desert, and you are seeing the northern part of the Canyonlands in Utah. You will be about 30 miles from Moab, and Arches National Park at one point. Oh yeah, if you do that route, stop here, http://www.archway.org/ Very nice museum that straddles the interstate in Nebraska.

15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Do it! By all means do it, but take your time. Seeing and experiencing bits of America from the road is awesome. (Now mindlessly bombing down the interstate simply getting from point A to B isn't.)

Get out a map or atlas, some guidebooks, and plot out what you'd like to see on the way. Hell, I'd do the northern route out, then cruise down the west coast, and go back across the southern-mid tier of Utah and on through the Rockies.

16. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have done it many times when I was younger (80s and 90s) and as a kid it sucked but as an adult I think I'd enjoy it much more. Make sure your car is up for the trip, have aaa and know your limits as far as required sleep. It's easy to dose off at the wheel and obviously that could be deadly

Tentative Arrival
  17. DNA

DNA Low-Roller

From Grand Rapids area myself and me and my wife drove out there a few years ago. Myself, I hate driving but due to my lung collapsing, my doctor said no way to flying. Straight thru it was a 32 hours trip. I personally didn't care for it but my wife likes it and has done it a few times. I prefer to just leave a couple days later and fly there to meet her. I hope you enjoy yourself on your trip out there.

18. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would love to do it if I had a good 3 weeks. Mountains, old route 66, changing scenery, go all the way to California and see the ocean, that would be fantastic. If you've got the time, and your car is in good shape (get it checked out before you leave) then do it. I would aim for spring or fall so it's not too hot or too cold.

I think a solo car trip like that could be therapeutic. There are a lot of books out there about people who have suffered a loss of some kind following the urge to take a journey of some kind and finding it beneficial. (I'm sorry about your loss.)

If you're tired one day or you find something cool, stay an extra day and chill out. Take lots of pictures. Do a trip report for us. For safety, I would make sure you have routine check in times with somebody and they know where you are.

If budget or diet is in an issue, get one of those nice plug in coolers and aim to stay at places with in suite kitchens or even bbq's on site. (I don't eat gluten now and I'm buying one of those coolers before I start doing car trips again.)

19. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done it three times from the Milwaukee area. First time-two twenty somethings straight through ~34 hrs.

The second time my wife and I did a 18 day driving trip. Mke to Vegas, Albuquerque, San Antonio & Dallas. A newer fuel injected car back then, but it still struggled in the mountains. It didn't seem to like the thinner air.

It was a relaxing trip. We spent about 3 nights in each city, drove on Route 66, got to see the sunrise hot air balloon accesion in Albuquerque. We got to the Riverwalk in San Antonio and spent a few nights with her sister in Dallas.

Last time was our move out there. Me, driving a Penske rental truck with a wheels up car trailer behind and my wife driving her car with the dog.

Anyway, the plan was I-80, but we got into Iowa and the 1 year old rental truck was struggling on some of those Iowa hills. I had been through the Rockies twice before and worried the truck wouldn't make it. It was fully packed!

So from Iowa we headed south to Oklahoma and took I-40 across. It's a nice, if not boring ride.

Moving back, we hired movers:poke: and drove I-15, I-70 to I-80 through the Rockies and we both drive late model cars (97 & 98) and ended up in the truck lane going up some of the mountains. We couldn't keep up with auto traffic.

We drove separate cars, but at least at the end of the day, we had somebody to talk to.

Go for it, but alone, I don't think I could do it.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.