1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving Routes Vegas to Reno

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am considering a new way home from my next trip to Vegas, this time going through Reno.

Has anyone driven from Vegas to Reno?

My map software says to take 95 up to Fallon and then cut over to Reno on 50/80. This sounds like a terribly boring route to me.

I'm thinking about driving up to somewhere near Tonopah and cutting over to 395 somewhere south of Mono Lake. But I'm often distracted by shiny objects and I wonder if that route would slow me down too much to get all the way to Reno in one day.

Any input on this driving route is appreciated. BTW, I'll be doing this in early November, so I'm hoping snow isn't an issue.

2. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are all boring unless if you like desolation, you do realize its 400 miles dont you? Thats like another 3 hours past LA.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it's boring, but relaxing, actually. Once you get past Pahrump, it's really the Middle Of Nowhere until you hit route 80. Services are sparce, and I would HATE to have a breakdown anywhere in there.

You can do Las Vegas to Reno in one day very easily.

Beatty, Tonopah, and Fallon are really the only major civilization. Stop to eat while you can. It's not like California where there's a fast food joint every few miles!

If you've never been to the Reno area, do take the time to drive around Lake Tahoe. It's gaw-jus!

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in the SF Bay Area so I've spent lots of time in the Tahoe/Reno area. Used to be my Vegas way back when. :)

The reason I'm considering cutting over to 395 is that desolation. I can get that driving to Twin Falls. I used to think there was an easy cut across just north of Death Valley, but I can't find it on the map. Dan found one and said "This one goes through Bodie (ghost town)". I have been on that road. I am not driving that by myself in November.

400 miles isn't that much driving in our experience. It's a long day, but not as long as that day from Twin Falls to home. That is more like 600-650 miles and it's much less fun on the way home than on the way there. :) That's why I was thinking about breaking it into smaller sections like 400 miles and take an extra night to get home.

5. AlwaysVegas

AlwaysVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Be sure to read Stephen King's book Desperation before embarking on your trip. :D

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer Richard Bachman's The Regulators. :wink2:

7. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard that the ride isn't that exciting... you could possibly read the book while driving to Reno.

Disclaimer, safe driving, yada yada, don't read or text, even though as the cars are becoming more safe and almost driverless (have you tried backing up on your own in a new car) and for the love of Benji don't drive over the speed limit as the only people that do are the ones that don't post on message boards, etc. etc.

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
  8. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recall driving in Nevada years ago, I got bored so I decided to drive on the left(wrong) side of the road, did that for about 10 miles before seeing another car...you gotta mix it up sometimes.

9. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We drove it a couple of times and it wasn't that bad but I had the significant other to share the driving. As we approached Tonapah(?) it was interesting to see this funny looking plane zoom by us about 10 miles off the roadway to the right......about (what looked like) 500 feet off the ground and heading to the distant mountains. Next view was it flying straight up in the air and over the mountains.....Then there was the birth of the stealth jet....we had no clue!! But it wasn't bad except going through the little hamlets and having to go 20 mph and then revving back up to 70 until you hit the next town. Our trip was in February and the desert in the winter is kinda neat. Good luck and take plenty of breaks...

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
  10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll try to remember that one. I do remember a trip I took across Nevada on Hwy 50. I was looking for a place to change clothes, but decided there weren't any cars so.... Got out, opened the trunk, got clothes out of the suitcase, looked around, saw car waaaaayyy off in the distance, changed, put other clothes away, closed trunk, got drink from cooler, walked around a bit to stretch, got back in the car and still didn't pass that car for another several minutes. :)

11. wroberson

wroberson Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drove Vegas to Reno once in 2008.

I went through Death Valley, Sequoia, King Canyon and Yosemite. I think the road closes October 31st. If you venture through the National Parks, you might want to check on that. It will take more than a day as the speed limits in the parks are 25-45. Still you can have them all to yourself.

Drive safe...

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.