1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving I-10 East to West thru Houston

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by catman, Oct 4, 2016.

1. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am driving to Las Vegas via I-10 thru Houston. This will be late rush hour or early on Thursday evening. Is there any easy way to get thru Houston? Thanks to all you Texans who reply.

2. mescalita

mescalita Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no.
    Aim for hitting Houston as late as possible. Should be pretty smooth until you hit downtown anyway...

3. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Houston traffic sucks. There are ways to bypass it. On smaller highways going through a bunch of small towns. In the long run it would take longer. I went on a recent girls trip to Winstar in Oklahoma. We live in central Texas and the quickest way was to pick up I 35 and scoot around Fort Worth. My friends went 2 hours out of the way to avoid Fort Worth traffic. Obviously I wasn't driving or navigating.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  4. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Should I stay on 10 , or take 610 to bypass downtown?

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Driving in the Houston area will make you nuts no matter which way you go.

I went to see the Phillies play the Astros about 10 years ago for 3 games. The rental car I got was this little Dodge sports car looking thing. Driving on the freeways was sheer terror with all of the huge semis. I was actually more comfortable in a jam moving along at 15 MPH. Add the fact that it was around 100 degrees with a humidity around 80% and the car was in constant danger of over heating.

I actually enjoyed my time there, but I'd rather not repeat driving on those freeways.

6. bubbakitty

bubbakitty native Texan; born and bred.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plan to eat / gas up and get through during "off" hours which is difficult with construction etc. I would check mileage / time comparison of taking 20 across and tying into 10 if 10 is your goal just because of Houston traffic and possibility of time delay / accident. Let us know either way how it goes.

1st Super Bowl DT...Panthers / Browns no doubt
  7. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you taking 10 all the way through San Antonio? That is another Fluster cluck. You have to be careful when you get downtown. I 35 and I 10 merge together for a while and then split back apart. It is easy to be going the wrong way. I know this because I used to live there---and I would get lost. The engineers were smoking weed or popping LSD when they designed it.

San Antonio traffic is bad too. But nowhere near as bad as Houston.

36th Wedding Anniversary
  8. spicole

spicole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just take I-10 through downtown. The NW loop is a total cluster with the construction at 290.

Can you give me a better idea on what time you expect to be driving through town? It will help. Unless it is squarely in the middle of rush hour it will still be the best way - and it may be the best way regardless. I-10 is massively expanded on the west side so traffic does move along. Locals can access the HOV/toll tag lanes in the middle of I-10 with an EZ Tag.

I drive on I-10 every day. I use Houston Transtar to check traffic as I leave work.

9. HOUtoLAS

HOUtoLAS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. catman

catman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I certainly appreciate all the replys so far. We will be coming from Mississippi, leaving around 9 or 10AM. I figure we might be on east side of Houston around 6 PM.

11. spicole

spicole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll be OK. Traffic may still be heavy on the west side but you really do not have any better options than to just stay on I-10 and gut it out. I-10 between the Louisiana border and Houston always seems heavy in my opinion. I heard they recently dropped the speed limit on a big stretch there so you may have to watch out for the speed traps.