1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Drivers Ed

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting a little off topic, but Jimbo if I'm reading between the lines properly, your public schools in NH still offer driver's ed?

Christmas
  2. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe:
    I am in my 40th year and DE is a lot different than when I took it in 1964. People think of it as learning the "rules of the road". Kids today are way more knowledgible and better coordinated but still have the highest crash rates at 16. In NH, our curriculum is based on the Oregon "Risk Prevention Curriculum" developed by the late John Harvey who developed their program which reduced their deaths among young people some 46% after about a decade of work.

A rule requiring public school to offer DE to their students was recently dropped and some schools dropped their programs but overall most schools still offer DE but mostly as a self supporting program, without help from taxpayers beyond use of facilities and paper etc. Online programs are not recognized at the present time. Driver Ed teachers must have at least 18 credits in safety education, child dev, and other educational courses, pass written, and in-car tests, and obtain 75 hours to recertify every 3 years as do other teachers, as well as a physical, and MV and criminal record checks. There are additional requirements for operating a Commercial Driving School as well.

Jimbo338

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I learned DE back in high school free, but as part of budget cuts, I don't think any public school offers it anymore, you have to go with one of the private companies and they aren't cheap. But it is still required for a DL.

Sorry to sidetrack this thread, back to cell phones!

Christmas
  4. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My high school 8 years ago offered it, and they still do.. and yes, it is a public high school, in Ca

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a friend in AL whose son is taking DE this summer at his public high school. I went to private school so I had to go to drivers ed during the summer at a private "school".

I live in NC and I see the white cars with Student Driver on them on the roads all the time, but don't know if they are taught through the public schools or not.:peace:

6. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took drivers training and behind the wheel training through my high school in the late nineties. I don't know, but would guess it is still offered.

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stand partially corrected. It is now offered through a subsidiary of the Milwaukee School system and they charge $150.

None of the high schools in my county offer it and you must get it from a private firm.

Christmas
  8. katmu

katmu Well-Known Member

Both of my sons had DE in high school here, and they went to different schools as the older attended a school out of district through open enrollement. It wasn't free but it was offered through the public high schools.

9. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe;
    Until about 2 years ago, in NH there was a Driver Ed Fund where $5.00 from each original license fee, and the $35 annual fee for initial registration plates went to support Driver Ed. The school was reimbursed $150 for each student who completed DE. This applied only to public and private secondary schools. This made the cost of DE more affordable at school as well as more convenient in many cases since students were often allowed to drive during study halls. In NH, students must have a minimum of 30 hours In-Class and 10 hours In-Car Behind the Wheel training as well as 6 Hours Observation in addition to 40 hours practice with parents with a minimum of 10 of the 40 after dark.

Students who attend private school schools not offering DE or who chose private commercial schools for smaller class size, or more convenient hours because of sports, or other activities did not get the reduced rate. That reimbursement fee was finally eliminated as politiciams scrambled to make the budget appear to be balanced while refusing millions in Highway Improvement Funds from the federal gov't. as the only state in the US not having a seat belt law. We have no helmet law either though all persons under 18 must wear helmets and be restrained by a seat belt or restraint device.

In NH all instructor are educated and tested the same regardless of secondary school certification or not and we have one association so lack the friction that often exists between professional driving schools and DE teachers in high schools. We have the same standards, requirements, cirruculum, preparation etc. and are supervised by the Dept of Safety. After a year or more working under supervision one may apply for a commercial school license.

High schools can run their own program and higher a teacher also certified in DE, or, contract with a commercial school. All programs must be approved by the Dept. of Safety. One must be certified whether teaching full or part time, and we all have to recertify every 3 years so must attend seminars, college courses and other training on an ongoing basis much the same as part time police officers, EMT's, call firefighters, etc.

People often complain about the cost, but as anyone knows anything to do with vehicles is expensive. My first private class cost the students $69. My first public school programs cost the students in 1 school $0.00 and the other $20.00. Of course, the state paid the reimbursement part and the school system (tax payers) paid the rest. Why is it so expensive today? My first DE car brand new was $4,400. today it is hard to find much under $22,000. Gas cost me 33.9 back in 1973 and is now 3.39. Insurance is expensive even though DE cars are less risky when used for instruction then when I drive the car home, but of course must be a commercial policy and just a few companies even offer to insure us. Todays cars are difficult to do work on yourself and so going rates may run from $75-150/hr. and parts are nuts.

To become certified in NH you eventually need 18 credits minimum which will cost you about $7,500. not counting other equipment, cars, signs, brakes, continuing ed. and so on. States are dropping DE programs due to costs. Unfortunately, using simulators, and driving ranges can reduce costs of large programs programs, equipment costs and 1 to 1 ration student to teacher keeps the cost high. DE today is not about learning the rules of the road and while programs are being written and offered for online instruction, it does lack interaction and in car instruction is still necessary.

There is no easy or cheap way. The Oregon results of a 46% reduction in teen fatalities in a decade or so after initiating their program is where many states like NH are at. The easy answer is what people often say about learning to drive in a field or just going back to learning permits and parents teaching their kids. Times are different though....saving by eliminating DE may not be substantial if we end up with more fatalities,disabilities etc. Would we like to go back to 1940's medicine....it was cheaper than today? There is no easy solution or answers.

After 40 years I still enjoy the kids and hope I have made a difference in a few lives. I still remember my driver ed teacher; thank you Mr. Vanesse, Naugatuck High School 1964.

Jimbo338

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimbo,

I mentioned your post about about NH being the only state to not have a seat belt law to my wife and she had two questions.

Do you have a helmet law for motorcycles? What about child seats in the vehicle? Any requirements?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Christmas
  11. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

New Hampshire does require children to be restrained in an infant seat or other restraint or seat belt system until the age of 18. Likewise, children must wear head protection when riding a motorcycle until they are 18 as well whether they are driving or a passenger. There is also a helmet law for bicycles 16 and under.

Ironically, we lose millions in federal funds for not having and enforcing seat belt laws in NH but seat belt usage is as high as 70% or so depending on the study that you use, which is higher than in many of the states that do make seat belt use mandatory.

jimbo338

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.