1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Drive to Grand Canyon - Yes We Are

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by SquarePeg, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this is asked repeatedly but...... We've been saying for 14 years that we're going to see the GC and by golly we are going to do this time on Thurs 7/3 (we leave 7/5).

Yes, we are renting a car and driving to the Grand Canyon in ONE day. We'll have 3 drivers to share the load and we are used to driving 10 hours to Fort Lauderdale, so this should not be an issue. We will be leaving between 6am and 7am from Las Vegas. We want to make a stop in Seligman for brunch/lunch. Any rec for where to eat here?

Or should we detour at Kingman and drive Route 66 to Seligman (parts of I-40 are under construction per google maps). Not sure how much time we'll lose due to construction going on.

Also, how frequent are gas stations on this stretch of highway/interstate?

Thanks!

2. wernerw

wernerw Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would not do the Detour at Kingman. I did it once and thought it is a waste of time. If you stop at Seligman you have Route 66 experience. Maybe you drive through Williams, too (exit at first Williams exit, then just follow the street). Have a look at the renovated railway station there.

In the park do a stop at the visitor center and immediately proceed to mather point. It gives you a BIG WOW effect.

3. wernerw

wernerw Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    About gas stations: frequent. Take the cheap gas in Kingman. That should give you enough fuel to drive to GC and back to Kingman.

4. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, Werner!

5. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Made this drive last month. I think we got on I 40 at Kingman. We actually gassed up when we left Vegas and made it all the way to Williams before we gassed up again. The I 40 construction was not bad at all when we drove it. Be careful for speed traps around Kingman. I got stopped by an officer, but he let me off with a warning. The speed limit drops significantly as you're coming out of the mountains around there.

Long drive, but not a terrible one (we did it 4 hours each way). It's cooler around the canyon because of elevation, so be ready for that. And obviously, bring water and snacks. A meal beforehand is nice, but if you're not accustomed to the thinner air at elevations, its easy to get a headache that some water and a quick snack can placate. Its a great trip. You'll love it!

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Just be prepared for teeming hordes.

7. kayden

kayden Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the best day of the week to visit? We have 7 days in Vegas coming up, with one day planned for the Grand Canyon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.