1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

drive from Vegas to 29 Palms military base

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by GES774, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GES774

GES774 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking of visiting a friend in the Marines who is at 29 Palms Marine Base in Calif.. I see it is about a 4 hour drive but am more interested in knowing if road conditions are ok for a Feb drive....and since driving alone is it a safe trip thru mountains or normals highway type. any snow problems?

2. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Highway 95 to Highway 62. No sweat. No snow, the roads are good, and you ought to make good time. If it takes you 4 hours you are driving s-l-o-w!

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I'd cut through the Mojave National Preserve, which I've done scores of times between Vegas and the CA desert. It's a gorgeous, diverse area, and it is one of THE great drives of the west.

Head out of Vegas on the 15 and after the drop from Mountain Pass, head south on Cima Road, which takes you over the shoulder of Cima Dome, through the largest Joshua Tree forest out there. At the decaying spot that is Cima, turn right on Kelso-Cima Road. When you get to Kelso (about 25 miles) stop at the restored UP station, which houses the visitors' center for the Preserve. Just past the station, turn left (south) on Kelbaker Road. This will skirt the Providence Mountains and off to the right what is reportedly the largest inland dune complex in the country. You'll climb up over a small pass at the Granite Mountains, then drop down toward I-40. Continue under the 40 about 9 miles and the road will T-bone Route 66, turn right (west). In about six miles you get to Amboy, and just outside Amboy you'll turn left (south) on Amboy Road. You'll pass by some lava and a drive lake being mined for chemicals, then after 20 or so miles you'll climb up through Sheep Hole Pass. The road will drop for a few miles and then swing due west, taking you right into town outside the main gate in about 20 minutes.

If you are a AAA member get the San Bernardino County map. It's the best out there for this area.

4. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a great route if you want to see absolutely NOBODY during the trip. 95/62 keeps you in mild traffic which can be soothing to a first-timer in the area.

5. ken2v

I'm not vested in any route. Just thinking if someone not from this area has a chance to do some exploring, the Mojave Preserve beats the square-edged 95/62 route. You gotta admit that excluding a short stretch south of Needless, the aesthetic isn't the same. Yes, there will be more traffic.

6. GES774

GES774 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow....alot of turns in that one.
    I think I will take the short route there and possibly the scenic route back....and cover both site seeing and time.
    Speaking of time....it's not a 4 hours drive then?????

7. ken2v

Going both ways is a good idea. But the route through the Preserve is quicker because you cut off some corners.

8. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A bit over 3 hours even if you dawdle. I usually make it in 2. :wink2:

The Preserve drive is a smooth road with no problems. It's just a little lonely if you've never driven the area before. We have spent years bombing around the area, so I have no problems driving it, but a newbie might. YMMV.

9. ken2v

Holy Andretti, Batman. 250 miles in two hours? I thought I could motor. Wow!! WTF you drive? :thumbsup:

10. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. GES774

GES774 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I imagine I will be closer to the 3-1/2 hr timeframe....Ha
    Thank you for the great info

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.