1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Drawing to Soft 17/18

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by BrendanMc, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrendanMc

BrendanMc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't been able to find any answers on this so I'm bringing this here.

When dealt a 6 or 7 against a dealer 3-6 and you draw an ace, what's the best play? Doubling down is out, so do you hit in hopes of improving the hand, or do you stand hoping that your 17 or 18 is good enough in the event the dealer doesn't bust?

Ex., my hand is 3, 4, A and the dealer is showing a 5.

2. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd definitely hit with a soft 17 against a dealer bust card like a 5. I would almost definitely hit with a soft 18 (as per the book), but cocktails might interfere. Basically, if the dealer doesn't bust, you're screwed whether you have a soft 17, or if you have a bad hit and wind up with, say, a 16. Pretty much the same goes for soft 18, except you've got slightly more leeway there.

3. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The average dealer hand is a little over 18, so, statistically speaking, you could get 18s all day long and probably end up on the short end. I'll almost always hit a soft 17 or 18 vs. a dealer's bust card, unless the count is too prohibitive.

:peace: :beer:

Annual Summer Bliss in the Land of Milk and Honey!!!
  4. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are not counting, basic strategy is:

Soft 17: Double Down against Dealer 3 - 6, otherwise Hit
    Soft 18: Double Down against Dealer 3 - 6; Stand against Dealer 2, 7 and 8; Hit against Dealer 9, 10, A.

5. BrendanMc

BrendanMc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. This came up playing on my phone and I was stumped. Must be quite rare as I don't recall being in the situation before.

4Eyes, I had already taken a hit to get to soft 17/18, so doubling down is not an option.

6. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Assuming I'm reading this right

http://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/9/6dh17r4/

Soft 17, always hit
    Soft 18, always stand except 9/10/A then hit.

In general this makes sense to me. 17 is a fairly bad hand, so always hit soft 17. Hit soft 18 when you don't have what looks like a winner, otherwise stand.

This is the 6deck H17 strategy.

7. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is not an opinion question. There is a correct way to play these hands, summarized by numeno. There is almost never a situation when it is correct for the player to stand on soft 17, counting or not.

8. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like to tell novice players that there "is no thinking in blackjack", that's what makes it so easy to play, there is one and only one correct play.Now if you are counting the "correct play" could change but the right thing to do is still clear. In this instance you should always hit soft 17 and stand on soft 18 against everything but 9 10 or ace.

Obviously everyone is free to play their hands as they see fit, and they most certainly will, but if your goal is the maximize your odds and thus minimize your losses, you should learn correct strategy(may take a few weeks), practice it(will take several months perhaps to be completely comfortable) and then sit back and enjoy the challenge.

I find it kind of sad to watch players who dont know what they're doing, seeing them exasperate about what to do, staring at the cards on the table for answers, many times they will do the "wrong" things several hands in a row, lose big and then get up muttering about their bad luck, while I can see that they would have won every hand if they only had the discipline to take their cards.

I acknowledge that in the short term people can and do get lucky playing any which way they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.