1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown VP trip, 8/25-9/2

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by petnel, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petnel

petnel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Warning: Kind of long, rambling, wonky report to follow. You were warned.

Me: 55 YO guy who travels to Vegas 2-3 times a year, usually solo but sometimes, if it's wintertime, with my husband. Been doing this for over 15 years. Play $0.25 VP, 5-10K/day or more. Sometimes I go up a bit in denomination, and sometimes I play craps for fun (well, it's fun if I win at it). These days I stay downtown almost exclusively since it's generally where the best games are and they're still giving comps out to folks like me. I try to play the best games at the places I stay, so it's usually 10/7DB, but I mix in some others too. I keep rough statistics as I am playing so that I can try and figure out why each trip ends the way it did.

This trip: 2 nights at the D, three at Four Queens, and three at Main Street.

The D:

I first played here last year using the ACG coupon for up to $100 in freeplay. Put $10000 through playing $0.50 NSUD, and ever since then have gotten monthly offers of 4 free nights, $75 freeplay and $75 in matchplay. Makes the NSUD over 100% in my mind, so this was my third stay this year. It's also nice that the WAX bus from the airport stops right across the street. Checked in early (about noon) with no problem, except that they seem to charge $10/day for the highest floors. Asked for the best they could do without the surcharge and got the 25th floor, which was fine. Had a bite at the D grill (it's a long day coming from Boston) and hit the NSUD upstairs. As others have said, the machines upstairs are now all TITO, and they now also accept freeplay (the old coin machines didn't). Quickly hit a set of Deuces for $500 and finished the session +$400. Foreshadow: If I had known what the rest of the week held I would have gotten back on the WAX and taken the first flight East.

IMG_20150825_140545_452.jpg

Took a nap, played more NSUD. -$400. Time for bed. Next day, played 4 sessions: -$500, -$100, -$200, -$200. No deuces. I should add that on my last trip, where I stayed my first night at the D, I managed 6 sets of deuces in 24 hours and walked out of there with $2200 of their money, so I was not too surprised by these results.

By the next morning, I was done with deuces, so I played some at the Four Queens (my next stop) before checking out. D results: $26660 coin in, down $1000. Overall return of 96.25%. One set Deuces in 10664 hands, where the average occurrence should be about one every 5356. Down $1000 isn't too bad for a $0.50 game, but since I am usually a quarter player it stings.

Four Queens:

I've been staying here regularly for several years. I usually get the monthly offer of 3 nights and $200 freeplay, but sometimes get downgraded to $80 freeplay. For August, it was $200, plus another $200 freeplay if I earned 2000 points in three days. I try for a south tower room, high floor and even number to get away from Fremont. As is noted elsewhere, that tower is being renovated so there was no access to ice/vending machines. Ice could be ordered from room service, but I just brought the bucket down to the bar and they were happy to fill it.

Had lunch at Chicago Brewing. I really like this place. Good beer, comped if you are playing the bartop machines, and while the menu is limited I like most everything on it. The bartop VP has 9/7 DB, but there are progressives for the 3 quads, so it isn't a terrible game. Aces were at $240 or so, but I didn't hit them. Went back the next day for lunch and aces were over $270, which I think makes the game 100.4% or so. Played for a while and drew to four aces. As I was taking a picture, a couple sat down next to me at the bar and I heard them say "Someone hit them!". Then they looked at me and said "You hit them!". Then they left.

IMG_20150828_132333_970.jpg

Spent the next two and a half days playing mostly DB. Tried my $200 FP at $1 JOB, and lost that plus another $200 of my own there. Not even a quad. No royals on any game

My results upon checking out were not good. Overall down $1650. Looking only at $0.25 DB (both 10/7 and 9/7) I played $23906 coin in and lost $1450, or $1650 with the extra $200 FP thrown in. That's an overall return of 93.1% which pretty much sucks. In about 19125 DB hands, I got 32 2-K quads, or one every 598 hands. The normal rate is about one every 470 hands, so I was lacking about 9 quads. I got two sets of aces, which is almost two fewer than should be expected. The missing quads account for about $1000 in losses.

MSS:

I've been staying here ever since my first trip, so pretty much forever. There are still a bunch of people working there who I recognize from way back then, which is kind of nice. While the scratch cards are a nice bonus, MSS is really cheap with their offers compared with other places downtown. My usual monthly offer from them is three nights and $25 in FP, which is what I was on this time. They did have a bonus point promotion for most of my stay, and I ended up with 5x points, which isn't too shabby. I was a strict $0.25 10/7DB player here, but recently have started playing a lot of $0.25 8/5 Bonus Poker 10 play as well. Even with the scratch cards and multi points, it is still a negative game, but it is a lot of fun. One fun fact learned during my stay. Those doorlocks on the hotel rooms that you stick your key card into are run by battery. They take about an hour to change out and reprogram.

My results over the 3.5 days were not so good. On DB, I played through $10125, or 8100 hands, and lost $700. That is a return of 93.09%, which sucks. Interestingly, my 2-K quads fame at the rate of 1/578 hands, so right about average. I was a bit behind on the expected aces, and got no straight flushes, but if I add in what I should have gotten from those I still only played at a return of 95.56%, so I must have been not getting the straights/flushes/full houses. But, that is a pretty small sample size for DB.

On the BP 10 play I fared a bit better, losing only $200 total. This is after playing through $49350, or 39480 hands. I did get a royal but it was not enough to bring me back.

IMG_20150901_235854_973.jpg

The painful reality over this week was a loss of $3550, by far the worst trip result ever. Granted, mixing in higher denoms and 10 play is going to introduce greater risk, but this still is a big loss. It was also a bit depressing in that of 36 sessions played, only 7 were winners, with only 3 hands worth taking a picture of. Ironically, I usually bring a bunch of travelers checks with me and never use them, but this time I didn't, figuring I could cash some checks if needed. Wrong. I can cash up to $1000 at MSS because I have a line for that there, but whatever third party clearinghouse the 4Q's used to verify my check rejected me so it was no go there. Had to use an ATM--killed me to pay the fees!

After a couple of weeks I am starting to recover--really I think of it as making a deposit in Vegas this trip, and I'll just need to go back to make a withdrawal next time. And there will be a next time.

Peter

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting a one piece report. Sorry you lost. Been there, done that last trip in July.

Regarding Chi Brewing. They comped your food, not using points? We usually play for ~4 hours up there at the bar, but they have never covered our pizza. Just drinks while we are playing.

Kimmie (Bears and any Chi team fan) and Bob (beard) are usually our bartenders.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  3. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NSUD? Thanks in advance.

Must...Go...To...Vegas!!
  4. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Western Airlines "The Only Way To Fly"
  5. petnel

petnel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry if that was a bit unclear. Only the drinks were comped--food was not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.