1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown sports book options

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by blissfulignoramus, Feb 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blissfulignoramus

blissfulignoramus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have an upcoming downtown weekend trip coming in April with four or five other guys, and I'm looking for sports book suggestions.

We do a lot of baseball betting, usually combined with some mostly cheapo horse bets. As many screens as possible showing MLB is what we are looking for.

And of course: drink tickets. We put down a decent number of baseball bets (a few hundred $ a day for me) and then we usually take turns putting down smallish horse bets while we sit and drink beer, preferably on the house, of course tipping as well.

So we are looking for a place on or right off Fremont where we can keep the drink tickets coming (or no tickets!) at a rate that approximates our consumption, good place to watch baseball, decent seating. We don't care about the clientele: the weirder the better, actually. My favorite places were the old sports book at Stardust, Bellagio (when it was easier to get a drink, although when we went last year it wasn't too bad), and even the squalor of the old Binions sports book with the theater seating (one of the great people watching spots of all time). Those days are over though. Last time we stayed downtown (two years ago) Golden Nugget was okay, but overly crowded. We're staying at The D this time -- do they even have a sports book? Sounds like Plaza's sports book is improved -- what's the drink ticket situation there?

Thanks!

2. Pbear71

Pbear71 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi the plaza by far IMO is the best! Horse bets gets drink tickets faster! As cheap as a $10 horse bet can get you a drink ticket....think sports bets are at least a $50 sport bet to get a ticket.....always ask for them after you place a bet.....the D does have a sports book but it's not very big! Hope this helps and I'm sure more people will give you help that even know more then me!

3. wisconsin terp

wisconsin terp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Based on your criteria there are only two real options downtown. Plaza and Fremont. Nugget would be a distant third. Plaza is a much nicer and bigger book and much better tv set up. Fremont gives one drink ticket for every $12 you put through the horses and every $20 at games. When I spend a day at Fremont betting horses and games I can wallpaper my room with drink tickets, but I prefer the Plaza cause its just nicer and the tvs.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The El Cortez also has a decent sized sports book. I notice that a lot of the "regulars" go there.

The cal also has a sports book but to me the chairs they use reminds me of elementary school. I remember Binions having a sports book but not sure if it is still there. and some else mentioned that the D had a sports book (does the GG have one? I forget but don't think so).

IMHO, the Plaza probably has the nicest and most relaxing sports book downtown.

5. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a horse player and would have to agree with the Terp on the Fremont. Have had so many drink tickets had to start giving them away. They are only valid for the day that you receive them. So you have to use them or lose them. The Plaza has better tv's but the drink service is better at the Fremont. My choice is the Fremont.

6. blissfulignoramus

blissfulignoramus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outstanding, pbear, wisconsinterp, makikiboy and Pizzaman! Just what I needed to know.

I am pretty sure the Binions sports book is long gone (sniff).

7. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Binion's book is run by William Hill, the same folks who operate the Plaza book.
    If you're not a smoker, I would avoid the Binion's book. Seating there is comfortable, but worn. No cocktail service at the book, so you'll need to hit up the bar inside the BBQ place nearby. Their drink prices are reasonable and they have Lagunitas IPA on tap along with Chicago Brew Co beers.

Even if you don't get many drink tickets at the Plaza book, many domestic beers are $2 at the Plaza sports book bar.
    In my experience, Plaza's book is stingy with drink tickets. Last time I was there I was given two drink tickets for $600 in sports bets. I was expecting at least 1 ticket for $100 bet, which is pretty standard for most books (or so I thought).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.