1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Dec 17-22 MSS and DTG

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by benbrownjr, Dec 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benbrownjr

benbrownjr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

After spending a week in Vegas Nov 30-Dec 8th I am back due to an invite for dinner and a drawing.

Day 1 I leave Los Angeles in my car at 10am and arrive at Main Street Station around 3pm and check in with no problems. The room is comp'd for 3 nights as are the 2 nights at the Downtown Grand. I unpack then head over to the Plaza to see if I can meet Yolla but was told she was upstairs in a meeting. I go over to the craps table and buy in for $100. I make a point and a CW stops and I ask for my usual (which I was told I could order) Long Island and was told no but was offered a another drink. I decline and finish rolling my point and cash in and left.

Walked around fremont and once again the tattoo shop is offering both group discounts and corporate discounts for tattoos. Still trying to figure out what corporation would consider tattooing all their employees. I guess if you were starting your own gang you could get a discount but either way it does not sound very sanitary.

The buskers are now relegated to a 30 "circles" under the canopy and I have to admit it does make walking through there so much easier. Tried craps at GG but lost as well as at Binions and the Fremont so it's back to MSS. You know your a degenerate when you can recognize dealers by the hair on the top of their head and they call you by name before they see your players card. Buy in for $300 and 30 mins later I am broke. Leave the table and go have my prime rib dinner at the California. After eating I decide to walk down to the El Cortez. I walk up to the craps table and my favorite dealer Christian is working who greets me tells me to NOT buy into the table as it's brutal. I watch for a bit and he is right so I walk back up to MSS and decide to call it a night. I am down over $500 for the day.

Friday: I wake up around 11am and have breakfast the Cal. I try playing some slots and am having the same luck as I did last night....nothing. At 5pm the Christmas party starts at the Ohana room at the Cal and the place in packed with almost 500 guests. Food was ok. Three folks at my table won money in the drawing but I was not one of them. After the party I swiped my card for a promotion and I get 25x points until midnight so I go to one of two 50 play VP machines as I have found out that these machines give 1 point per dollar instead of the reduced amount for VP playing. After playing for the better park of an hour I cash out $150 ahead, hopefully things are turning around. I walk over to the GG and find a table with a brand new dealer who looks like he just graduated out of high school and looks like a deer in headlights. I understand how he feels as the first few times I played craps on my own I was the same way. I bet my usual way (pass line, field, 5, 6, & 8) so this new guy has to do something for me with every roll. Because of this I tend to tip more often. Well this kid really got to learn his job as I ended up with a total of $585
    gg.jpg

Even though I made that money and the extra from the VP I am still a bit behind.

Saturday: I wake up with a bit of a hangover but quickly get over it with breakfast at MSS buffet. Was able to use the points from last nights 25x to cover the meal. Manny as usual was there and had a denver omelette. Lost $300 at MSS while watching a shooter throw the dice up into the air and having them land just shy of the wall of the table. If tried to do that I would take someone's eye out! Stopped into Binions and proceeded to lose $100 there. It seems that when the sun is out I can't win a thing so I go to the UA theatre behind MGM and watched Creed. Not a bad movie and it reminded me that I should try and catch a chicken with my bare hands before shooting craps again. Drive up to the El Cortez and Christian is working one of the tables. Buy in for $200 and a couple just learning craps is shooting and making all her points. She grabs the dice and uses both hands and the pit boss reminds here of it...so to make her feel better I also remind her not to put the dice into her mouth either. I said it not against the rules but it's frowned upon so she smiles and makes two more points. Then the table starts to get cold. Six shooters later I am about to grab what's left of my chips and walk when I realize it's my turn to shoot. Now I have played on five different tables today and have made one point so I am less then thrilled about shooting. I roll a 10 and think to myself "This won't last long" and realize I have just enough chips to cover all my bets with 4x odds. I roll the dice and get a hard 10 and think "I wonder if this is gonna last awhile?" To my delight it does, as I made point after point pressing my my bets and having every number covered. After a little over an hour (I know it was based on the dealers breaks Christian went on break and moved into everyones position and was back next to me when I sevened out) I ended with a really odd total of $899.50. After I was done rolling the pit boss came over and shook my hand and said it was a monster roll and complimented me for actually pressing bets. I told him this was the best roll I have ever done. I colored up and and walked out with a smile.
    elko.jpg

Sunday. This day I set aside for a friend of mine who moved to Vegas over a year ago but now has a job at Paris so he has moved to an apartment closer to work so his bus ride to work is reduced from 90 mins to 20 mins. After running errands we decide to eat at a place at the corner of Flamingo and Paradise and while we are going in a fire truck goes by and at the time we think nothing of it but as were looking at the menu more and more emergency vehicles are going past us. It was only until I got to the DTG and checked in did I realize what had happend on the strip. I was there jut 2 hours earlier picking up my friend from work.

Monday: My final day here and go down to the commissary for my free coffee. I also have a $7 dining credit that I used for breakfast. Since the tables here don't open until 12 noon I go over to the D and see there are 2 open tables. Now if one table is crowded and the other isn't I know which table to go to but when they both have a small group I hate having to guess which one will be better. Well I guessed right and walked out with $125 more in my pocket. As the day winds down I play a few slots and win a little but mostly lose. I play one last time at DTG and actually was able to use a $25 match play on the pass line. Now to hedge my bet I also bet $25 on the field and the point is 9. Now the next roll is a 12 and I still have the $25 field bet so I am a happy camper and act like I knew what I was doing but in reality I had forgotten about it so it gets taken down and replaced with a $5 chip. Four rolls later the shooter makes the point and made a tidy profit. I play for about an hour and walk away $200 richer. I decide to call it a night as I am tired.

Tuesday: this is my final day and I had hoped to get up early and gamble a bit before leaving but I ended up waking up 30 mins before scheduled check out time (11am) and after checking out I go to mc donalds at the D. While waiting for my food I realize I didn't put gas in my car on Sunday as I had planned so no gambling today. I leave vegas around 12:30 and am a little concerned as I really can't see well at night and sunset is around 4:45. I do hit some traffic and rain but get home safely.

After adding up the money in my wallet it looks like the trip was a $600 loss but considering I did not pay for any rooms or food I think I did ok.

BTWthis is my first trip report and I hope it has not put anyone to sleep.

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. Did not put me to sleep. I enjoy these type of reports, straight to the point. And it was about Downtown, my favorite place to stay and play.

I like to play craps also. Congratulations on your monster roll. Wish I was there! With craps you never know at a cold table as to when it will turn. Many times when I decided I've had enough and colored out, 10 minutes later the table is hopping with happy, hollering players!

Thanks for the report!

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! Like those party pit girls on the $5 chips. ;)

4. Spock

Spock Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for the TR and good read. Glad you had a great time and for sharing.

5. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice roll at El Cortez! Great report!

6. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not boring at all. Great report peppered with humor. Thanks!

Must...Go...To...Vegas!!
  7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report and thanks for posting.

Were you the OP on the Plaza Long Island thread posted a while ago, or did it happen again to someone else?

Christmas
  8. benbrownjr

benbrownjr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Joe it was me in that thread too. Tried to get in touch with Yolla twice and was even given her business card but no luck on getting in touch with her. I even followed up with a post on that tread and still have no reply.

9. npom

npom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed your report. Thanks!

10. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report, enjoyed it!!! Sounds like an amazing craps roll.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.