1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown at the Plaza and The D May 19-23

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by aliasyoshi, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Note: I have never actually posted a trip report before and this is more of a trip summary. Vegas is a place where I go to forget details, not remember them. :evillaugh

Arrival: SWA on time as usual. Upgrade from a compact to a nice 2014 Ford Fusion. Drove around to grab supplies and play a few local places before heading downtown. I was at the Plaza and my buddy in a suite at The D. We valeted at The D and then waited. He was told to arrive around 1 pm (via previous phone call that day). Not ready. Try back around 2-2:30pm. We wait. Not ready. We both agreed that things happen, but just be honest and tell us to try back after standard check in time (3pm) instead of giving us other random times that clearly didn't work out. Waited until about 3:30 pm and still nothing. Thankfully got a small dinner comp then came back and was ready. Suite was awesome, but we were both unhappy with the runaround. I got into the Plaza just fine and we are in for the night.

During the week: We usually like to go to the local places during the day and then head back downtown for the evening. Not sure what it was this trip, but we both were cool staying more downtown than not. No biggie as I did quite well (at least by my standards) playing craps at the Plaza and LVC. (Side note: $3 craps during the weekdays at LVC with awesome dealers). I quickly decided early on this trip to screw the good and only play the dark side. Let's just say I not only made a believer out of my buddy, but I am never going back to the good. :beer:

Departure: Mid afternoon SWA flight delayed twice. Far too long at the airport. But made $15 on slots there so I cannot complain too much. Just a long day of traveling which made us both grumpy. Plus my friend's young son was taken to the ER while we were waiting in the airport so that was exciting. It was nothing thankfully.

Random notes:
    - Total Wine and More is probably our goto for supplies here on out. Great prices and selection.

- Although The D suite was great, we both are kinda over The D and GG vibe for a while. Sure, LVC is trying similar but at LVC it feels more like a house party with friends and less like a night club scene.

- The Plaza and LVC are clearly making changes and some seemingly as a result of suggestions from us here on VMB. Don't give up on 'em yet.

- The Plaza rooms are quite nice after the refurb, the elevators actually move people fast and efficiently (*cough*TheD*cough*), and the staff were great albeit sometimes overworked.

- Like I mentioned, the craps dealers at the LVC were awesome in a very welcoming and friendly way that came off as very genuine and inviting. Not to say the Plaza dealers weren't great, they were, but since the LVC is a different atmosphere, the dealers will be different. Both places were fun in their own rights. Really like the lounge music while playing craps at The Plaza.

- Overall, probably one of the better Vegas trips in a while. And now I have the itch to return. :beer: :thumbsup:

2. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting your summary aliasyoshi. It's nice to hear some good stuff about the Plaza and Las Vegas Club. I agree with what you say about the party atmosphere at LVC versus the frenzied atmosphere at the Golden Gate. I love the GG but some nights there are too many frat boys trying to be cool. I hate having to smack hands and celebrate every single hand that wins at the BJ table. You have to be in the right mood to handle it or it gets tedious fast. LVC has a different clientele and it's far less hectic yet still fun.

We've always enjoyed playing some VP at the LVC bar. Watching their bartenders interact with customers is an event worth taking in on it's own. There seems to be many people who think they can get away with playing one quarter on VP or only playing when the bartender is looking and get comped drinks. The bartenders don't stand for any guff and it's quite entertaining to watch.

It's nice to hear LVC and Plaza are still trying and maybe even listening to comments here. They aren't our favorite places to gamble but we try to stop in every visit just because they are different.

Glad you had a great trip and thanks for sharing!

3. boxofbirds

boxofbirds High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting. Haven't been to LVC or Plaza before, will check them out next time I'm downtown!

Trip #12
  4. aliasyoshi

aliasyoshi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Completely forgot to mention Hash House. Excellent meal as always. I am kinda surprised the Plaza folks aren't trying to advertise HHAGG more than they are at the moment. Seems like a great draw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.