1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Don't J-Walk in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Film-Noir, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't risk your life & J-Walk in Las Vegas

Just because "at home" they will stop for you or be polite and let you pass,
    don't assume when your J-Walking in Las Vegas they do in fact see you, or they will stop.
    I learned this from a nice LVPD lady, & it's why locals are more careful than drunken out-of-towners.

**use caution, & play another day, your in Their City**
    Their laws: Their city,
    were just tourists

NRS 484B.287  When pedestrian must yield right-of-way to vehicle; when crossing at crosswalk is required; crossing diagonally.  Except as provided in NRS 484B.290:

1.  Every pedestrian crossing a highway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the highway.

2.  Any pedestrian crossing a highway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the highway.

3.  Between adjacent intersections at which official traffic-control devices are in operation pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

4.  A pedestrian shall not cross an intersection diagonally unless authorized by official traffic-control devices.

5.  When authorized to cross diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the official traffic-control devices pertaining to such crossing movements.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1493; A 1981, 670, 1919)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.327)

2. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In plain English: don't f**k about in the road :-D

I nearly got flattened a couple of times when I first started going to Vegas. I learned quickly to be a lot more careful.

3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have enough trouble crossing with the light by TI & Mirage when cars are trying to turn into the street there. Sometimes I see people hop over the barriers and walk straight across LVB. That is way too risky a gamble for me. :)

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No motorist is stopping for jaywalkers out of courtesy. At least here, I am still legally liable for their injuries even though it's completely their fault they got hit walking in the middle of the street and/or against the light. Maybe there needs to be some public awareness ads at McCarren for when you deplane so that hopefully tourists think twice over it.

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone who lives in New York City, where jaywalking is pretty much a way of life, I can't advise people enough to avoid it in Vegas. The traffic patterns are unpredictable, the pedestrian crossings are wide, the cars move fast, and there are a lot more drivers from out of town (or, sadly, drivers who may have had a few extra complimentary cocktails). It's just not worth it.

6. Tnev83

Tnev83 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was, well still am, amazed at the number of people who think the drivers will just stop for them. Its not that difficult to just wait for the right of way.

7. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In a lot of countries cars have to give way to pedestrians on the street by law. Vegas is such a transient city that you're always going to get tourists doing things that locals find stupid.

8. curtzo604

curtzo604 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see this all the time when I'm in Vegas. It's not only those J-Walking, but those not waiting for the lights to change. At the TI/Wymm intersection, it's almost a giving to watch someone get plowed.

With the massive size of intersections and waiting for what seems like an eternity, people will just start to walk across without knowing that 2 lanes of cars are turning left across 5 lanes of traffic and doing 25+ mph by that time.

Stay safe in Vegas peeps!

9. loonytoony

loonytoony VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I miss the good old days of playing Frogger in attempt to get across

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.