1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Donny and Marie frequent cancellations

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by sammasseur, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw on the WICKED thread that Donny and Marie cancelled for Sept 9th, and during my visit two weeks ago, I saw the sign that they had also cancelled for Thursday the 6th. Having heard of similar situations, I looked on Tripadvisor and saw rather frequent complaints of cancellations all the way back to 2010. I just purchased tickets for about 3 weeks from now and am worried this will happen to us as well. Anybody have insight on all of these cancellations?

2. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we were in Vegas last January we bought the expensive VIP tickets, figuring it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet them after the show. When we showed up at the Flamingo for the night of our show there was a notice that the show was cancelled (Donny was apparently ill). We had to stand in a huge line at the box office and they said they would rebook our tickets -- I believe we booked them for 2 days later. But we had a big hassle with the girl helping us because she kept trying to give us regular tickets instead of the VIP ones we had pay for. She had to go get a supervisor after we kept insisting and they did end up giving us comparable seating and tickets. Soooo, we got there two days later. Luckily, we didn't have something else planned for that night and were still in town. We heard the show had also been cancelled the night before. The show did go on on our 2nd try and they gave a great show ... but then afterwards when we lined up for our VIP experience, photos and autographs they suddenly told us that Donny wouldn't be there. Just Marie. Although I was happy to meet her, honestly, it was Donny I wanted to have an autograph and photo with and I never ever ever would have paid the outrageous VIP rates to meet just Marie. I was pretty pissed off. To top things off, the free photo they give you from your meet and greet is a cheesy little 4x6 Polaroid and they don't even let you pick which photo it is. If you want to pick out the photo(s) and have a nicer one you have to buy the photo package. I found that rather ridiculous after paying so much money for the tickets that were to include photos.

If anyone were to ask me, I would say they put on a great show. I highly recommend seeing it and hoping they don't cancel. I do not recommend the VIP tickets unless it's no big deal for you personally to pay the big bucks.

3. Ashton7

Ashton7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops. Sorry. I got the dates wrong. We didn't see Donny & Marie when we went last January. It was the year before. I can't remember which month we went that year but we usually go in December or January, sometimes February. In any case, I just went and read all of those reviews and am gobsmacked. I wish I'd known before I spent $300 freakin' bucks a ticket only to be annoyed by a cancellation, having to rearrange our schedule, and then not getting the double meet & greet we were originally promised (with no reduction in price!). We weren't even told until after the show was over that Donny wouldn't be at the meet & greet. I see from the reviews that now they've changed their policies so that only one of them does the meet & greet and they keep it a secret which one it will be. I never would have paid that kind of money for a meet & greet with Marie. Perhaps that's what they're afraid of.

4. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hadn't heard that.. but between me and my family we've seen it 4 times, we love that show! But, stuff happens, they have what, 47 children between the two haha, people get sick and it's not like anyone can "fill in" for them.

5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I don't know ?
    But.....I'm a little bit Country...she's a little bit Rock'n'Roll.

6. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, after posting this, I did more research and found that Donny was out for an extended time this past March, due to vocal problems, and they did use fill-in guests to replace him. It would have had to be a drastically altered show, as I have seen it 3 other times myself and is totally dependent on their chemistry, history, brother/sister banter, etc.

7. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is probably a dumb question since you've seen it three times...but my wife wants to see this and I've been resisting (by offering other shows every trip.) We both watched their show back in the day...is this worth going to?

8. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll answer that question with a personal experience: my partner fought me tooth and nail about going, since he was too young to watch their 70s show, but finally caved in after seeing an Entertainment Tonight report that they were altering their show for a Christmas theme. We were there for our annual holiday trip. Within the first 3 minutes of the show, he was totally beaming, loved every minute, and has urged us to go back the other two times, as well as next month.

And this time, we got second-level off-center seating for only $70 through travelzoo.com:

http://www.travelzoo.com/entertainment/las-vegas/-69-50-Floor-Seats-Donny-amp-Marie-in-Las-Vegas-40-Off-1307418/

If you watched their old show even a little, this will make you feel like you're back in that era. They're both in great form, looking fit and fun, and you'll have a blast. Very "old-school" in the best way possible.

9. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sold. Thanks. If they're there on my next trip I'm going to do it.

10. 4Vegas

4Vegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This was the one show that my wife wanted to see the last time we went to Vegas, so I got us tickets. I have to say that I did enjoy it. Stop resisting, and make your wife happy. If you watched them back in the day, you'll like the show to.

11. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I always make my wife happy in vegas. I've just been bribing her off of the D&M show with other shows. Neil Diamond on this last trip.

12. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i'm sorry for you. truly sorry. the one thing that keeps me coming back to Vegas is my wife has no interest in D&M. if she did, i don't think i'd be able to bring her ever again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.