1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dollar vs. Thrifty car fleet HELP

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by goober1102, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goober1102

goober1102 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Their customer service departments are useless!!!! So I need your help!

Their customer service departments are useless!!!! So I need your help!

I am looking to rent a convertible for my trip in October and need to know what the odds are of me getting a Mustang or Camaro and NOT a Chrysler Sebring or 200.

Has anyone rented from either of these companies and what was your car selection like.

Does anyone have the phone number directly to the rental facility at the airport for wither of these companies? That would be a HUGE help!

Dollar's customer service states a Ford Mustang or similar. I called the 800 number and was told their fleet was only Mustangs. I said so I am guaranteed a mustang? the CSR said they cannot make any guarantees!

PLEASE HELP

Thanks!!

2. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They can't guarantee a Mustang because they may change their lineup between now and October. Unless you need to do a prepaid reservation, just reserve both and gather intel along the way.

3. goober1102

goober1102 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! That is exactly what I did. Reserved at Dollar and at Thrifty and will try to find out the "or similar" cars might be. would like to find out the size of the convertible fleet. If there are 10 mustangs and 30 "or similars" my chances go way down...

Thanks again

4. Steelers7

Steelers7 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can try this number... 702-261-6001. Not sure how much if any help it will be but that it suppose to be the number for the car rental center.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I think when you make a reservation, they will include a las vegas number on your reservation. Not sure if that is the actual airport thrifty or dollar number or if it just sends you to the general switchboard but for Alamo or Budget the number on the reservation was their (actual) number for las vegas. this number was good just in case I am late for my rental or if I had to call them for something. A few years ago I switched cars and forgot to take my (home) keys with me and left them in the original car. I called the las vegas Alamo number and they found my keys and mailed them to me.

If your reservation has a 702 area code it is probably the las vegas number (but no guarantee that they don't redirect you to the main thrifty or dollar national number).

As for selection, it all depends on the time of day and how busy they are. Usually you get to choose from a variety of cars in your rental class (economy, compact, midsize, etc.). The national chains are good for that, the local or small companies have a limited selection of cars. I am not sure about mustangs or other convertibles but once I was given a convertible from Thrifty (not a mustang though). Didn't help me though, it was in the winter and I never got to take the top down. I think that's why they gave me the upgrade to a convertible, the other cars were out and they had a lot of convertibles available at the time.

6. VeddaLasVegas

VeddaLasVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last July we rented a convertible from Dollar and it was a Mustang. I didn't see any Sebring or 200 convertibles only Mustangs. I've never rented from Thrifty before.

7. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are the same company with different names. I would assume they have the same cars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.