1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dollar car gas price

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by SarahinNC, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SarahinNC

SarahinNC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's yet another question about renting from Dollar! We're going to rent for one day, picking up at the airport and returning it to TI. We aren't going to do much driving. If we end up not refilling the tank, how much per gallon will we pay Avis? It looks like it wouldn't be a full tank. Even if it's some crazy amount, for the gallon or so we might actually use, it might be worthwhile to skip the gas station.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With Dollar, if you drive a short amount, maybe not enough to move the gas gauge, they will demand to see a gas receipt. If you drive a lot and the gauge reads full, they won't ask.

Not sure what they are charging these days.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  3. Dexter538

Dexter538 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The answer is Nothing. You would owe nothing to Avis if you rent from Dollar. :rolleyes2:

4. SarahinNC

SarahinNC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DOH! I'm an idiot. I guess the brain has already checked out and moved in to vacation mode. I meant Dollar, of course.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    funny response, I thought of that when I read Sarah's post.

I always fill up the tank so I am not exactly sure about how much they charge you if you don't return it full (when you are supposed to), but I heard that it is way more expensive than the price of gas outside, probably a few dollars a gallon (if not double the price) at least.

Even if you don't drive around a lot, if the gas gauge isn't on full they will probably overcharge you for not filling up the tank (IMHO) so best to top off the tank before returning if possible.

With my prior rentals, I noticed that with a compact sized car, I travel about 7 miles before the gas gauge moved below full so if you travel less than 7 miles then the gauge might not move below full. it depends on size of car (bigger engines burn gas faster), type of car, etc. etc. but usually I use the 7 mile rule (more or less) for tank fill. Lots of times I fill up downtown and still able to return the car to the airport with the gauge on full.

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I used to do this, I usually only drove 10 - 15 miles - there's a gas station on the corner of E Flamingo and Koval (not far from the strip) I used to fill it up before I parked. It never had receipt paper in the thing that spits out receipts, lol. But I never had a problem with Dollar, I just said I filled it and they believed me or whatever.

No idea what they charge, if you aren't driving much and if that gas station is out of your way, then sure, just ignore it. Of course, you're potentially setting yourself up for a problem, who needs it, get the gas.

7. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just rented from Dollar, and there is a sticker on the brochure packet. It says "IMPORTANT NOTICE Please be advised in you do not purchse our prepaid fuel option, you are required to bring a receipt showing you filled the vehicle within 10 miles of the return location". It is in bright red. I have never noticed it before, so I wonder if they are going to start asking for a receipt? I always get one just in case, and leave it in the cup holder.

Reading through my receipt, is also says "you have the option of using our refueling service option at $9.29 a gallon".

8. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

ALWAYS bring the car back with a full tank. NEVER play the gas game; you can't win.

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've rented cars in many markets, almost always declining the fuel pre-purchase, returning it full, and I've never been asked to provide a receipt.

For a while in some markets (I don't think Las Vegas), Dollar had an option where they would refuel at regular prices. That didn't last very long. :)

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We rented from Dollar one time and the demon rum took over so we only put about ~20 miles on the car. To be on the safe side, I topped it off and yes they did want to see the receipt.

Like I posted earlier, if you put enough miles on the car that would make the needle move and you bring it back reading full, they probably won't ask. But hell, why gamble?:poke:

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  11. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not in Vegas, but I'm sure this is how Dollar operates everywhere..

I returned the car 3/4 full because I was running behind. They charged me for a full tank at around the going rate. Best bet, just stop and get gas close to the drop-off location or return it almost on empty.

12. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

It takes five minutes max to top off the tank. Why give the long odds?

A guy I know likes to take the deal in which you return the car empty. It is annoying to see him try to burn up miles on the last day. Despite these efforts, I'd wager he ends up buying the rental company $15-20 of gas every time. Maybe someday he'll run out a mile from the car return.

This same guy usually won't book flights until a couple weeks before the trip. Then he brags about how much he saved when he could have saved a lot more and gotten better connections by booking early. He also prefers roulette and claims he's thousands ahead.

13. SarahinNC

SarahinNC Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've rented a car so I know the normal drill. I was more asking so that if we used less than a gallon and needed to return it, we might be faced with the option of either going to find a gas station from the Mirage to return it to TI, or just whipping around and returning it without refilling. Normally, I'd never ask this question, but in this case, it might make sense. We don't know how much we're going to end up using it, and we're only going to have it for 24 hours. We might just use it to get from the airport, sightseeing a little, and then to the hotel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.